Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radial Scar, rare microcalcifications

Lovestheocean
Lovestheocean Member Posts: 5

Hi,

I had recently had a diagnostic ultrasound after my obgyn found several lumps. Only one was problematic - a complex csytic mass measuring 12mm in my right breast - and I was encouraged to get a biopsy. I had a biopsy a few years ago and was found to have PASH so I wasn't too worried. I got the pathology report back today from the biopsy and it started out well - no malignant changes were found. But then it said - Features suggestive of radial scar. Rare microcalcifications associated with normal ducts.

I've been researching radial scars and it seems mixed on whether you should have it removed. But I am not finding much on rare microcalcifications. Does anyone have any insight on the radial scar and/or microcalcifications? I've found a few topics related to radial scar and it seems most women have them removed.

Any thoughts or previous experience would be great? I will talk to my doctor this week and wanted to have ideas on questions to ask.

Thank you!!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816
    edited February 2022

Lovestheocean, welcome to Breastcancer.org! There are a lot of supportive and helpful people in our community, so we're glad you found us! While we wait for other members to post their experiences, you may find the following articles from our main site helpful:

Radial Scars

Understanding Breast Calcifications

Looking forward to hearing more from you soon. Please, come back to let us know what you learn at your doctor's appointment.

Warmly,
    The mods
  • Lovestheocean
    edited February 2022

Hi - Thanks for the helpful information. I spoke with the NP today and the recommendation is to have an excisional biopsy for the radial scar. I'm meeting with a breast surgeon for a consult later this week. And the rare microcalcifications meant they were scant in number - no issues there.

• scaredmominmi
    scaredmominmi Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2022

Hi! I had a complex sclerosing lesion (which is a larger version of a radial scar) removed in May 2020. It was benign. They removed it to make sure there were no cancerous cells hiding around it or behind it since I have dense breast tissue. I had a mammogram 6 months after that to make sure nothing has grown - it did not.

Unfortunately my latest mammogram showed microcalcifications in the quadrant where it was removed, so I am going in for another round of images tomorrow.

Sorry you are going through this. It's so stressful, but from everything I've read it's better to have radial scars out for peace of mind.

• Lovestheocean
    edited March 2022

Thanks for the reply! I'm sorry to hear that you are going through another issue with your mammogram. Hope the imaging today goes well.

I met with the breast surgeon and her recommendation is to remove radial scar and the margins around it even though the biopsy didn't show anything malignant. I have dense breasts as well. I've been reading about the excisional biopsies and it seems they are not too difficult a procedure. For my peace of mind, I think I will go ahead and schedule it.

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited March 2022

Hi,

I had dense breasts and at one point had a sclerosing lesion. That was neg. Few years later in same breast radial scar. So happened that I had something in other breast that turned out to be cancer. I had a double mastectomy but just so you know, the breast with the radial scar, was clean. No cancer. My surgeon had said that the odds are small that there would be any cancer hiding nearby the radial scar, and she was right.

• Lovestheocean
    edited March 2022

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I'm so sorry to hear that you ended up having to have a double mastectomy. Thank you for letting me know that your radial scar was clean - that is reassuring. I've been back and forth but did end up scheduling the surgery. I go in this week to get the Savi scout put in and then next week for the surgery. Hope you are doing well now.