We are 224,420 members in 82 forums discussing 157,744 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Donate your old breast prosthesis?

Forum: BCO Free-Cycle: Give or Trade Items Related to Breast Cancer —

A place to donate & trade breast cancer items free of charge (e.g. head covers, mastectomy products, swimwear, breast cancer support products). No money may be exchanged, even for shipping. All mailing addresses must be shared via private message & no phone numbers exchanged.

Posted on: Mar 15, 2018 11:02PM

iam1surgeon wrote:

I understand most of your insurance companies cover your breast prosthesis and even allow you to change it every two years? May i know if most of you are willing to donate your old breast forms (but still in mint condition)? I live in a third world country and most of the patients can't afford treatment more so buy the breast forms. I have seen patients put stacks of handkerchiefs or any material to bulk up the mastectomy defect and of course it wouldn't look nor feel natural. I just want to help them have a better sense of their image to boost up self confidence. I hope someone will help me figure out things for it to materialize.

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Mar 16, 2018 02:36PM mustlovepoodles wrote:

If there is anyone who knits, you could have them make knitted breast forms. There is a group call Knitted Knockers (not even kidding, LOL) on the internet that has instructions in English for making the breast forms. The materials for the knitted forms would be a heck of a lot cheaper than shipping prosthetics, which can weigh 2-3-lbs a piece.

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/3/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/4/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/19/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery

May 5, 2018 11:35AM Debdebdo wrote:

I had a few prosthesis that I used prior to my reconstruction and I would like to donate them.

Do you have any organization or person that can handle this

May 6, 2018 02:43AM Moderators wrote:

Debrabarnett, welcome to Breastcancer.org! You may want to take a look at these threads too:

Topic: Prosthesis...wanting to donate to someone in need.

Topic: Any place to donate prosthetic and bras?

Thank you for your kind offer!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Jul 12, 2018 08:38AM h2osandy wrote:

My mom has one she is trying to donate. Where would we send it?

Jul 12, 2018 11:16AM - edited Jul 15, 2019 11:37AM by Moderators

h2osandy, check out those two threads above.

Good luck!

Jul 10, 2019 10:37AM tryingtodonate wrote:

I am spending way too much time trying to figure out how to donate a breast form. I don't know any addresses to send this to. American Cancer society has too many local phone numbers without the specific topic addressed. I won't go on searching for a location if I don't get an answer in about 5 more website clicks.

Jul 10, 2019 11:46AM Moderators wrote:

Dear tryingtodonate,

Welcome to BCO and thank you for thinking of our community. We do not accept donations of breast forms but encourage members to post their donations here so that others can contact you if interested. We do not allow exchange of money which means that you would have to pay shipping costs. You can also check out this other thread A place to donate prosthetics and bras where there are some suggestions. Be mindful that some of the posts are old and the web addresses may no longer be active. For example the link above for www.donateprosthetics.com is not longer viable. Let us know via private message if we can be of further help.

The MOds

Jul 10, 2019 12:12PM Mucki1991 wrote:

there is a facebook group community dedicated to this very cause. It's called

Sisterhood of Traveling Mastectomy Products... All items are donated and you can post requested items needed.

Rebekah Dx 5/5/2017, ILC/IDC/IDC: Papillary, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/13/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/8/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 2/25/2018 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 9/17/2018 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Surgery 1/24/2019

Aug 10, 2019 06:49PM Marylue wrote:

Have a pair of size 9 forms gently used also, pair of swim form and I think 3 camisoles. How do I donate?

Aug 10, 2019 07:26PM Moderators wrote:

Dear Marylue,

Welcome to the BCO community and thanks for wanting to donate your prostheses. Here is a link to a list of donations sites. Let us know how we can be of help in your further navigation of the community. We hope you can benefit from the support and information that is readily shared here.

The Mods

Sep 18, 2019 09:28PM - edited Sep 23, 2019 11:22AM by smithlme

This Post was deleted by smithlme.
Dx 3/31/08, DCIS, ER+/PR- BRCA2+...I am NOT a survivor...I am a 2X breast cancer A$$ kicker! Dx 3/28/2007, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 19, 2019 07:02AM Moderators wrote:

That's so generous of you, smithlme. Thank you! Heart

The Mods

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)