We are 212,277 members in 82 forums discussing 151,844 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Donate your old breast prosthesis?

Forum: BCO Free-Cycle: Give or Trade Items Related to Breast Cancer —

A place to donate & trade breast cancer items free of charge (e.g. head covers, mastectomy products, swimwear, breast cancer support products). No money may be exchanged, even for shipping. All mailing addresses must be shared via private message & no phone numbers exchanged.

Posted on: Mar 16, 2018 05:02PM

iam1surgeon wrote:

I understand most of your insurance companies cover your breast prosthesis and even allow you to change it every two years? May i know if most of you are willing to donate your old breast forms (but still in mint condition)? I live in a third world country and most of the patients can't afford treatment more so buy the breast forms. I have seen patients put stacks of handkerchiefs or any material to bulk up the mastectomy defect and of course it wouldn't look nor feel natural. I just want to help them have a better sense of their image to boost up self confidence. I hope someone will help me figure out things for it to materialize.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Mar 17, 2018 08:36AM mustlovepoodles wrote:

If there is anyone who knits, you could have them make knitted breast forms. There is a group call Knitted Knockers (not even kidding, LOL) on the internet that has instructions in English for making the breast forms. The materials for the knitted forms would be a heck of a lot cheaper than shipping prosthetics, which can weigh 2-3-lbs a piece.

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/19/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/2/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/3/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/18/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery

May 6, 2018 04:35AM Debdebdo wrote:

I had a few prosthesis that I used prior to my reconstruction and I would like to donate them.

Do you have any organization or person that can handle this

May 6, 2018 07:43PM Moderators wrote:

Debrabarnett, welcome to Breastcancer.org! You may want to take a look at these threads too:

Topic: Prosthesis...wanting to donate to someone in need.

Topic: Any place to donate prosthetic and bras?

Thank you for your kind offer!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Jul 13, 2018 01:38AM h2osandy wrote:

My mom has one she is trying to donate. Where would we send it?

Jul 13, 2018 04:16AM Moderators wrote:

h2osandy, check out those two threads above. One of the threads mentions www.donateprosthetics.com, for example.

Good luck!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)