Topic: thoughts on vagifem post hormone receptive BC

Forum: Sex & Relationship Matters — A safe place to talk candidly about how your romantic relationships and/or your sex life has changed following your diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Jun 11, 2015 05:22AM

Posted on: Jun 11, 2015 05:22AM

bjb01 wrote:

I am 99% ER+ and PR+, therefore having to stop my HRT.  I have read many things with regard to the continued use of vagifem for localized vaginal application.  My onc said that if it helps my quality of life then do it.  He indicated that there is nothing that points directly to it contributing to a recurrence as it is so localized and no absorbed in the same manner as a patch of pills.  Can anyone weigh in on this topic? 

Dx 3/23/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 3/29/2015 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 4/7/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 4/8/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy 7/12/2015 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/31/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy

Page 2 of 5 (48 results)

Sep 16, 2015 09:15AM Imagineme13 wrote:

hello all, just saw MO about prescribing a low dose of Vagifem and he quickly voiced his decision against it. He said he didn't want to take any chances with my cancer being aggressive and HER2+. He recommended the KY but something tells me that will not work either. I'm currently taking the hormonal therapy & Herceptin every 3 weeks.It's my quality of life we are talking about but I wonder if going to the OBGYN would help.... Anyone with any other suggestions?

Dx 4/2015, Left, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+, HER2+ Chemotherapy Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 16, 2015 10:47AM - edited Sep 16, 2015 10:48AM by bjb01

imagineme13, I can certainly understand your frustration. 1. I URGE you to go back to my post and implement what I listed. they are natural, they are not contraindicated in any way to your treatment. (Crisco/olive oil) if done routinely they WILL make a difference. If your MO said NO to vagifem, then NO it is. For me, the decision was easier as I am HERS 2 negative. I hope this helps you. Keep your chin up and use that Crisco!!!! I swear by that and the olive oil. If you have any questions, just ask me.

Dx 3/23/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 3/29/2015 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 4/7/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 4/8/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy 7/12/2015 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/31/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy

Sep 16, 2015 11:31AM Imagineme13 wrote:

Dear bjb01, what type of olive oil? Extra virgin? (No pun intended ....lol..)

Just wanted the type of olive oil being there is so much to choose from these days. Btw... I saw your post and thought that it was strange but my PA said to try olive oil.

Last question: how did you insert it? I read a post of a lady making homemade suppositories out of foil. Great idea.

Thanks for your input

Dx 4/2015, Left, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+, HER2+ Chemotherapy Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 16, 2015 11:56AM bjb01 wrote:

funny :):) I do use extra virgin, the lightest color you can find. The Crisco shortening is just applied topically to the entire area just like lotion onto your hands. I have done this for 2 years now and it's gotten to the point that I feel weird without it. I do this 3 times per day. The olive oil is just used in place of the KY. It's topical as well and used as a lubricant during sex. you will LOVE it. They are natural alternatives that really work. it will take several weeks for the Crisco to make a noticeable difference, but it's worth the wait. anything else?

Sep 16, 2015 12:15PM Imagineme13 wrote:

thanks bjb01

I believe you've answered all of my questions and have put my mind to ease. Lol

I'm assuming the olive oil is simply applied at the opening before sex. Not to be inserted deep within the vagina.

The hormonal drug I'm taking along with what the chemo did has nearly closed my vagina and I'm so afraid of having sex with my DH (never knew what DH meant other than some type of husband. Feel free to explain lol...). There has been NO sex for about 4 months. No desire either but I'm trying. 😂

Sorry to be so graphic

Sep 16, 2015 12:20PM bjb01 wrote:

graphic is the only way to get answers we use the olive oil both ways. just like you would KY, but also inserted from a small plastic squeeze bottle. (I actually use an old 3 oz KY bottle) It took me over 50 years to find the one person that I truly enjoyed an exciting and adventurous sex life with. Nothings going to stop me now :):) stay in touch....literally and figuratively

Sep 16, 2015 04:11PM nottoday wrote:

Forum: "Middle Age" 40-60(ish) Years with Breast Cancer → Topic: vaginal dryness

Ladies,

You may also be interested in the posts in the topic above.

Dx 7/23/2014, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/21/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/19/2015 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 16, 2015 08:52PM Imagineme13 wrote:

Thanks nottoday

Oct 8, 2015 06:20AM Molly50 wrote:

Hi ladies, this topic is very important to me because I have battled atrophy since my bilateral oopherectomy in 2011. Until my BC diagnosis I had found balance with estrace cream. My MO says no to it now. I haven't even started my anastrozole yet and life's a struggle. I found a product that so far works. It's called Neu Eve Neu Eve natural remedy for Vaginal health . It's a suppository to be used once per week and then I use Very Private Daily Intimate Moisture on the outside of my vaginal opening. Also I know many women who use coconut oil both internal and external as moisturizer successfully. If my QOL decreases with anastrozole then I plan to re address this issue with MO. I already have chronic UTI'S that estrace has managed and I have two pelvic floor prolapses that I need to prevent from getting worse. There are also Vaginal dilators you can purchase to help slowly open up the vaginal canal. You might also consider asking your gyn for a referral to pelvic floor PT.

54 years old. Chek2 mutation. Family history of BC. Oncotype Dx 13 Extensive LVI Dx 6/8/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Dx 7/29/2015, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/29/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Surgery 9/4/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/20/2015 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 7/22/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Nov 14, 2015 05:15AM - edited Nov 15, 2015 08:59PM by rgiuff

My Oncologist said yes to Estrace. It worked well for inside and outside,  but I wanted a break from the messiness it sometimes xaused. So now, I'm trying Vagifem. I plan to always use some type of vaginal estrogen to combat Nature's cruelty to us postmenopausal women!

RoseG Dx 4/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/6/2008, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/19/2008 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/19/2008 Breast

Page 2 of 5 (48 results)

Scroll to top button