Join Us

We are 224,982 members in 83 forums discussing 163,825 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Libido and Vagifem

Forum: Sex & Relationship Matters —

A safe place to talk candidly about how your romantic relationships and/or your sex life has changed following your diagnosis and treatment.

Posted on: Nov 10, 2021 04:24PM

BrushJanus50T wrote:

Unfortunately I had to give up using estrogen replacement therapy due to DCIS. I just started the Tamoxifen low dose 5mg daily for three years therapy. Today I asked my oncologist to prescribe Vagifem which she did. My question is about libido. I’ve been researching Vagifem effects on women’s libidos and all I can find is information on vaginal atrophy. Why is libido not addressed? Having been on ERT for 11 years due to what turned out to be an totally unnecessary full hysterectomy (it was unnecessary because no cancer was found), the ERT covered all my bases regarding sexuality. I have never experienced the unpleasure of menopause nor experienced dryness or loss of libido. I want and need a libido and want to know if Vagifem works for one’s libido? I would more than appreciate positive comments about maintaining libido while using Vagifem. I can get a moist vagina from lubricants and want more than that. Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Nov 10, 2021 07:00PM MountainMia wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you looking for an aphrodisiac? Something to increase your libido? Or just want to make sure you don't dampen it?

I've been using Yuvafem for years. I had a good sex drive before I started using it and I still do.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Nov 11, 2021 06:47AM BrushJanus50T wrote:

Thank you for writing that you still have a good sex drive. I am not searching for an aphrodisiac but something that will counteract what medications like Tamoxifen seemingly rob from women: their sexuality. So thank you, your experience is encouraging.

Nov 20, 2021 12:33AM wallycat wrote:

My libido was through the roof pre-cancer (most guys I dated were intimidated by it; thankfully, I met my DH). Tamoxifen killed it. Arimidex killed it further. I am using vagifem and/or Estring and I am sad to say, it has done nothing for my libido. Sexual desire is, as you pointed out, more than just being and staying lubricated. In men, testosterone increases their libido. In women, "they" still don't know. A lot is psychological/mental attitude, but there are hormones involved too. Since we aren't "allowed" systemic hormones, it's a tough nut to crack. I heard some ladies use a tiny amount of testosterone and that that helps, but I don't know how safe it is for breast cancer issues. Best to you.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Nov 20, 2021 10:12AM MountainMia wrote:

Yes, and to be clear, I'm not using tamoxifen or other systemic hormones. I don't have any idea if it will counteract them. I'm only saying, for me, it didn't make anything worse.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Nov 21, 2021 09:17PM Waves2Stars wrote:

My MO recommended Ristel from Hellobonafide for libido. In addition, weight lifting could help raise testosterone levels, even in women, which helps with libido and mood. More importantly, you can raise levels of dopamine to help your drive, simply by exercising, listening to energetic music or dancing! There are other ways to raise dopamine that are pretty simple and part of basic healthy self care.

DX @ 47. IDC 2.1 cm, DCIS 2.8 cm, Luminal B Dx 7/19/2021, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 9/2021, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+ Surgery 9/1/2021 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Stacked DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 9/20/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)