We are 205,885 members in 81 forums discussing 148,866 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis → Topic: Stop Smoking Support Thread

Topic: Stop Smoking Support Thread

Forum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis —

Share your experiences of life after a breast cancer diagnosis and offer advice on how you cope with life's daily challenges, including how you develop a new daily/weekly routine while you deal with breast cancer.

Posted on: Jan 14, 2009 12:12AM

webwriter wrote:

Some of us will, some of us won't, but it's an ugly beast to try to tackle alone. I think I'd rather have cancer than quit. Sadly, I can't quit cancer. Dunno if I can quit smoking or not, but I just read a study that says smoking (nicotine) interferes with and blocks chemo by 61%.

http://www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2006/nicotine-hinders.html

joeoncology.blogspot.com/2006/...

If I'm gonna have to go through this crap, it darned well better work. I've come to terms with every other aspect of this mess I've been presented with so far. Sometimes with tears, sometimes with humor, sometimes with quiet hugs from hubby. Smoking not so much. I like it. It's my friend, my crutch, my safe harbor in a crazy world. It's killing me. It's time to say good-bye.

My quit date is 1/19/09. My husband will be joining me. Cold turkey for me, patches for him. (I am avoiding more nicotine just as much as I am sugar.) 

Anyone out there care to join us?

www.acoffeebreakcafe.com/CBC/b... Dx 11/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 429 of 429 (12,856 results)

Posts 12841 - 12856 (12,856 total)

Feb 5, 2018 11:25PM MinusTwo wrote:

Avefenix - welcome. You've come to a place where no one judges - because we've all been there. I too used Chantix for my "last" quit and had no problems. Others swear by the patch or gum or ... Glad you got the book from VJS. Lots of great ideas.

One of the most useful things for me was on-line support late at night when I couldn't go for a walk and was desperate for a smoke. There were lots of blogs that helped me to feel like I wasn't alone and it was REALLY hard for most everyone, not just me. Unlike my ex-DH who just put them down and said 'no more' when the price reached $0.25 pack. Yup - twenty-five cents.

This site is full of inspiration and helpful tips. Also I feel that I've made some great friends who really do understand. If you try & it doesn't work, try again. There are no failues - only attempts. We will never "yell" at you.

Hopeful that you don't have bad SEs with the Tamox.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 5, 2018 11:36PM MinusTwo wrote:

mkn86 - Welcome. Glad you have been following along. I haunted many 'quit' sites w/o ever posting but felt at home here. Congrats - one month down!!!

Good that your chemo is done. Hopefully surgery will be easy. Yes cancer adds to our daily stress and it would be so easy to start again. I quit 3-1/2 years before I was diagnosed with BC. For many years I could tell everyone how many hours & minutes I'd gone w/o a smoke. Interesting thing was that I promised myself and all my friends that if I was ever diagnosed with a life threatening condition or disease, the first thing I would do was buy a pack of cigarettes. Somehow I didn't think about it in the mad rush to get this "thing" out of my body. I often thought about having a smoke, but truly forgot my promise to buy a pack until one day a friend said - how come you didn't start smoking again. Whew boy was it lucky that I forgot.

I will always be a smoker. That will never change. I'm just a smoker who is not smoking. And haven't since 7/11/07. Hoping I can continue to hold on. It truly does get easier as time goes by.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 13, 2018 12:42PM lisamarie68 wrote:

Avefenix,

I did not do chemo or radiation either .. just had mas/recon.. I also decided not to do Tamox ... I am wishing you well and hopefully no Se...

mkn86 .. welcome .. glad you stopped by .. this is my fav place for support ...

Hi Bosom , VJ , Judi , Minus , April ... I miss you all ... hope everyone is doing well.. I am back on track and doing great ...

xoxoxoxo

Lisamarie

lisamarie Dx 1/18/2012, LCIS, 0/13 nodes, ER+ Surgery 4/24/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/24/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/12/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 2/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Feb 13, 2018 01:20PM MinusTwo wrote:

Yay LisaMarie for back on track!!!

Feb 14, 2018 12:56AM mkn86 wrote:

thank you for the warm welcome :)

i was already at 5-8 sticks per day at the time of diagnosis. i would quit and then come back and didn’t really give myself a hard time about it.

But i think this time i will need to make sure that stopping lasts longer than usual. the longest time for me was around 8 months. i wouldget the urger to smoke and just think “yeah i can smoke later

- kat Dx 8/11/2017, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/5/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin) Chemotherapy 11/8/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxol (paclitaxel)

Feb 14, 2018 02:10PM katiec3598 wrote:

New on here. Having a rough time quitting smoking. You would think with all the hard things that I have been through that I could do this right? I feel stupid going to my doctor and saying that I'm still smoking. 

Katie

Feb 14, 2018 03:18PM Moderators wrote:

Hi katie, and welcome to Breastcancer.org!

We know it's tough, but that's why it's great you found us! This is a great support group, and we're right there with you, cheering you on!

Please come back often, engage fully, and get the support you need. We're all here for you.

Looking forward to hearing more from you soon!

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Feb 15, 2018 02:05PM MinusTwo wrote:

Katie - welcome. We hear you girl. It's not easy. If you read through some of these pages, there are lots of ideas and tips. Find one of the posts from VJ. She has offered her book free of charge to BCO members on this thread.

Where are you in your treatment process? When you get a chance, go to 'my profile' and fill in your information. Quit suggestions may be different if you're still in active treatment. For example I swear by Chantix, but it probably wouldn't work with chemo.

mkn - thinking about you as you set new goals.

Feb 16, 2018 12:54PM lisamarie68 wrote:

Hi Katie ,

Welcome .. yes quitting smoking can always be a journey .. don't beat yourself up as everyone of us has taken our own paths and found what helps to quit .. As for me I used Chantix and quit for 3 years , then I moved to Las Vegas to care for my mom and got overwhelmed and smoked for a couple months and now I am back on track not smoking ... I was very sad and mad when I picked one up after 3 years .. but now I am back on track .. If you would have told me I ever would be a non smoker , I would never have believed ... This group offers so much .. there is a lot of support and love here .. you can PM me anytime ...

Hi to all of you Beautiful ladies .... Minus , VJ, Bosom, Judi , April...

Another day has come and I choose not to smoke and to be free...

xoxoxoxo

LIsamarie

lisamarie Dx 1/18/2012, LCIS, 0/13 nodes, ER+ Surgery 4/24/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/24/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/12/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 2/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Feb 20, 2018 04:55PM SimplySammi11 wrote:

Just an update on my daughter. She’s 3 weeks out from her dmx with tissue expanders “NOT SMOKING” and healing beautifully. I am back to smoking more than I should and every now and then she wants a cigarette and I tell her “NOt today Satan” and try to make light of it. Sometimes she’s handles it ok other times she isn’t a happy camper. In the end I pray she’ll appreciate the fact that it was for her own good and recovery.

Bad news however she had 2/2 nodes come back positive so Radiation is a must. Which hit me hard for some reason more than any other treatments she’s already endured.

As for smoking, I’m thinking now my anxiety is better after seeing my PCP NP and her freaking out over my BP and shaking and me throwing up from it all in her office, I am really considering the Chantix route just because I do need to quit.

I hope you all are doing well and hanging tough! Blessings

*Note the info I provided regarding The BC is my daughter's diagnosis and not my own. I entered it so i would get notifications for posts that are related. Thank you. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~Galileo Dx 7/5/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/1/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Mar 19, 2018 11:16AM lisamarie68 wrote:

I am just missing everyone .. where are you all ... hugs

Lisamarie

Mar 19, 2018 01:23PM MinusTwo wrote:

Funny coincidence LisaMarie - we must be psychic. I woke up this morning determined to post. How is your Mom? How is your job? Is your life getting any more settled? I know you must miss your kiddos.

I've been working in the yard trying to get all the plants that froze cleaned up & the bushes trimmed & etc. Yard work is one of those times that I really want to sit & have a cigarette after working several hours. Also have a new toilet - whoo hoo. Sounds weird to be excited but having the extra 2" in height really makes a difference. Not to mention that my son came & installed it and actually stayed for 3 days doing 'honey-dos'.

April - are you checking in at all? Hope you are OK. And Bosum? And...

Sammi - did you try the Chantix?

Happy Spring tomorrow!!!

Mar 19, 2018 05:55PM NotBrokenJustBent wrote:

Hi all. Good to hear everyone is doing well.

Minus, so happy you got to hang out with your boy. Lisamarie, glad you are back on track with no smokes. SimplySammi, daughter can never even have one cig. That was my downfall years ago and again after I quit for 8 weeks for my surgery. In the meantime you keep trying to quit or cut back. I had been down to 8-10/day but when life gets cruel I run to my ciggies. I am currently very stressed and back to a pack or more. I am thinking this will need be an all or nothing venture as this cutting back isn't playing out as I had hoped.

I would try Chantix but I told my insurance company that I quit smoking and am afraid for them to know otherwise.

May 1, 2018 11:53PM MinusTwo wrote:

Wow - this thread is definitely taking a break.

Talked to a neighbor about Chantix yesterday. He wants to quit but said Chantix made him angry. I countered that the entire process of quitting makes us angry - so weigh how much is the drug & how much is your conflicted emotions about quitting. And still makes me angry sometimes even though I'm 10+ years out. Not a month goes by that I would like to have a smoke. The thoughts aren't "urgent" and they pass quickly, but still.

I will always be a smoker. Just one who is not smoking.

I'm going to San Francisco tomorrow for a few days. I REALLY need to see the ocean. The Pacific that is - with the crashing pounding waves, and not the pond of brown water in Galveston. I plan to eat a lot of Dungeness Crab if I can find it. And Sourdough Bread. The bus is $1.00 for seniors with transfers that will last all day. Needless to say I have lots of adventures planned. I will have dinner with my DS and his girl two nights, but their place is too small for guests. No extra bedroom, and one bath is too small for me at my age. I'm staying in a 'motel' that looks like a 1950s motor court, if any of you ever took road trips when you were little.

Hope those of you who were working on quitting were successful. Or if not, I hope you aren't beating yourselves up. It will come when you're ready.

Not Broken - hope you'll have fun with your Mom.

LisaMarie - is Vegas & the job getting any better? How's your Mom? Will you kiddos come to see you out there?

May 15, 2018 03:38PM april485 wrote:

Hello ladies!!

Ok Minus, that explains the reference to California on the other thread. Hope everyone is doing well. Hugs to all my peeps. I had my 5 year smoke free anniversary on April 20th btw! Still smoke free...for now :)

"Fear has been a huge dictator in my life - so I am trying to stage a coup!" ~ a friend Dx 1/30/2013, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/21/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/11/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/22/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2013 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2016 Femara (letrozole)

May 15, 2018 06:20PM MinusTwo wrote:

April - HOORAY and congrats. I still hope you will come back to one thread or the other and tell us about your new job & how your life is going.

And Lisa Marie?? And Not Broken?? And everyone else?? I still have hopes for Judi checking in one day.

My support to anyone who is still trying to quit. your time will come. I quit once to go on a Caribbean cruise on a private sail boat. The trip of a lifetime!!! (except I was a royal bitch) Stayed quit for 2 years. Oops.

My congratulations to any of you who are still making it.

Page 429 of 429 (12,856 results)