We are 212,259 members in 82 forums discussing 151,834 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Stop Smoking Support Thread

Forum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis —

Share your experiences of life after a breast cancer diagnosis and offer advice on how you cope with life's daily challenges, including how you develop a new daily/weekly routine while you deal with breast cancer.

Posted on: Jan 14, 2009 12:12AM

webwriter wrote:

Some of us will, some of us won't, but it's an ugly beast to try to tackle alone. I think I'd rather have cancer than quit. Sadly, I can't quit cancer. Dunno if I can quit smoking or not, but I just read a study that says smoking (nicotine) interferes with and blocks chemo by 61%.

http://www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2006/nicotine-hinders.html

joeoncology.blogspot.com/2006/...

If I'm gonna have to go through this crap, it darned well better work. I've come to terms with every other aspect of this mess I've been presented with so far. Sometimes with tears, sometimes with humor, sometimes with quiet hugs from hubby. Smoking not so much. I like it. It's my friend, my crutch, my safe harbor in a crazy world. It's killing me. It's time to say good-bye.

My quit date is 1/19/09. My husband will be joining me. Cold turkey for me, patches for him. (I am avoiding more nicotine just as much as I am sugar.) 

Anyone out there care to join us?

www.acoffeebreakcafe.com/CBC/b... Dx 11/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 435 of 435 (13,029 results)

Posts 13021 - 13029 (13,029 total)

Oct 13, 2018 11:15AM lisamarie68 wrote:

Minus , I do have a pug and 2 kittens now god help me ... it does get very dusty here in the dessert .. I have always been one to clean .. its a pain in the ass. anyway you make me laugh so much xoxoxo

lisamarie

lisamarie Dx 1/18/2012, LCIS, 0/13 nodes, ER+ Surgery 4/24/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/24/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/12/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 2/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Oct 13, 2018 02:56PM CarolAnnieLumpLump wrote:

Hello friends, I started my rads this week. 2 down 32 to go. Still using my ecigs. Amazed it's been 4 months on the 21st since I had a real smoke. Seems like I just quit yesterday. Still have my stale pack in my old smoking spot with the "Not today Satan" sticky note on it. Today, I am hanging out on the couch watching Halloween movies. Hocus Pocus is just coming on now. I love that one. The fall colors are coming on here in Michigan, such a beautiful time of year. DH is going to the Michigan vs Wisconsin game tonight. Go Blue.

Glad to see you are recovering from your surgery Lisamarie.

Carol Annie

Dx 6/5/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/10/2018 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 11/24/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 13, 2018 04:24PM MinusTwo wrote:

CaroleAnnie - GREAT news that it's been 4 months since you last smoke. I'll celebrate 4 hours, 4 days, 4 weeks - but 4 months is a good milestone. Do you have the ecigs that you can gradually dial down the nicotine?

Also good to hear that you've moved along into rads. My worst SE from rads was constant fatigue, so treat yourself gently & nap when you can. Anybody remember new motherhood? Everyone told me to nap when the baby did. I didn't believe I'd need to, and what a mistake that was.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 13, 2018 04:37PM MinusTwo wrote:

LisaMarie - I lived in Albuquerque for 7 years so I remember that there is no control over the dust moving inside - sifting around window sills, sneaking in under doorways. Eeek. And I also remember the tumbleweeds. Fun that you have pets.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 13, 2018 09:33PM CarolAnnieLumpLump wrote:

Thank you MinusTwo on the celebrating! I agree with you on any amount of time you can stave off smoking is worth celebrating. I am proud of myself. I went through a rough patch a few weeks ago where I wasn't sure I was going to hang in there but I made it. My ecigs are the lowest I could find at 1.8 mg nicotine and I also have a couple different flavors that are 0 nicotine. Once I get through the rads, I plan to wean myself off them. Perhaps for new years. I am looking forward to 2019 and putting 2018 to rest. My daughter and grandbaby just left it's 9:19 pm and it feels like past midnight to me. Not sure if its the rads or what but I am pooped. Since June I have been taking Ativan for sleeping. It stopped working so I either needed to up the dose or get off from it. I got off from it. So I haven't been sleeping as well but it's getting better every night. I am surely hoping that fatigue is the worst SE that I have. Thank you for reminding me to give myself a break, it is something that I am working on. I already told my boss if I can't wear a bra I am not coming to work. : )

Dx 6/5/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/10/2018 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 11/24/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 14, 2018 01:24PM lisamarie68 wrote:

caroleann .. good job with the smokes ... i never had rads so I cannot understand how you feel , I do know that i am more fatigued after the hysterectomy then ever .. and sleeping comes so hard for me as well. The doc just gave me lunesta but it only puts me to sleep don't keep me asleep ... I hope hings get better . I too love this time of year , although no colors here in Vegas (i miss) but the Halloween movies I love so much ... xoxoxo try to rest when u can ... (i know easier said than done )

Minus ... yes the dust lol... iv'e learned not to push myself so much ... I am again ever so grateful to be here and a part of this amazing group... and have you as my dear friend .. do you know I am on another board called hystersisters and they ask for money to keep the site going .. I was kind of shocked. anyway hugs my dear ..

hope everyone is doing well I miss you all so much

xoxoxoxo

Lisamarie

lisamarie Dx 1/18/2012, LCIS, 0/13 nodes, ER+ Surgery 4/24/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/24/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/12/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 2/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Oct 14, 2018 08:53PM CarolAnnieLumpLump wrote:

Lisamarie, I was also very tired after my hysto. It took several months before I felt good again. I think it has much to do with hormones even though I hadn't had a period in a year or so. It's a lot for your body to adjust to and takes time to get your system back to a good stable place. I still have night sweats but not nearly as bad now. Hystersisters is a great board for learning about recovering from a hysterectomy. I remember being so scared that I would tear something when going to the bathroom. Hang in there girl you will start to feel better soon. My doctors office recommended Benadryl to replace the Ativan for sleeping. I have used it a couple of times and it works pretty well.

MinusTwo, I was thinking about you last night. Your presence here is a blessing. Thank you.

Oct 15, 2018 02:04PM - edited Oct 15, 2018 02:05PM by DivineMrsM

I'd like to encourage all of you who are stopping smoking. My husband I and both quit almost 30 years ago and we will still ocassionally discuss how it was one of thee very best things we ever did. This was long before the internet. I remember sending away for helpful pamphlets from the American Lung Association that gave me great tips. One was to always keep a pen and paper nearby to doodle with while talking on the phone. Another tip was to wear loose rubber bands around the wrist to have something to fidget with. I got a jar and filled it with hard candy and reached for a piece instead of a smoke.

Sometimes when you're around others who smoke, they will try to get you to start back up. Don't fall for it!

My husband would stop and start, stop and start again. He'd stop when things were calm, the start when stress came up, like trouble with his ex and seeing their son, or job layoffs, ect. He was discussing this frustration with me once and I said, “you're always going to be dealing with some kind of stress in life. You'll never be able to completely be rid of stress. What you need to do is find a better way to deal with it rather than turn to cigarettes." For whatever reason, this made complete sense to him, like a light switch got turned on. He eventually got the prescription Wellbutrin from his doctor and weaned himself completelyfrom the habit.

It is so worth it! Keep up the good work! Do whatever it takes to quit!

found lump 12/22/10~er+/pr+/her2- stage iv bone mets~chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex~ "The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places."

Oct 15, 2018 05:28PM MinusTwo wrote:

Hey MrsM - nice to see you here. Thanks for sharing your experience and the positive thoughts. It's always interesting to see how different every person is with their quit experience.

I talked to a friend last night who almost died with pneumonia because she didn't want to go to the doc & be lectured about smoking. She literally couldn't smoke while trying to recover with O2, etc. She said she honestly was scared when she was gasping and couldn't catch a breath & decided she was afraid of dying - so she's quit. Fast forward 4 weeks, she tells me she leaves her smokes on the cupboard and has one or two every evening. She doesn't like them and she says she doesn't need them. She has quit, but one or two don't count.. I suggested she put the pack in the freezer, but she said it's no problem for her. Hmmmm. Been there, done that. Hope it works for her, but as a 40 year smoker I think she is playing mind games with herself.

Page 435 of 435 (13,029 results)