We are 196,502 members in 81 forums discussing 144,770 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis → Topic: Stop Smoking Support Thread

Topic: Stop Smoking Support Thread

Forum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis —

Share your experiences of life after a breast cancer diagnosis and offer advice on how you cope with life's daily challenges, including how you develop a new daily/weekly routine while you deal with breast cancer.

Posted on: Jan 14, 2009 12:12AM

webwriter wrote:

Some of us will, some of us won't, but it's an ugly beast to try to tackle alone. I think I'd rather have cancer than quit. Sadly, I can't quit cancer. Dunno if I can quit smoking or not, but I just read a study that says smoking (nicotine) interferes with and blocks chemo by 61%.

http://www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2006/nicotine-hinders.html

joeoncology.blogspot.com/2006/...

If I'm gonna have to go through this crap, it darned well better work. I've come to terms with every other aspect of this mess I've been presented with so far. Sometimes with tears, sometimes with humor, sometimes with quiet hugs from hubby. Smoking not so much. I like it. It's my friend, my crutch, my safe harbor in a crazy world. It's killing me. It's time to say good-bye.

My quit date is 1/19/09. My husband will be joining me. Cold turkey for me, patches for him. (I am avoiding more nicotine just as much as I am sugar.) 

Anyone out there care to join us?

www.acoffeebreakcafe.com/CBC/b... Dx 11/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 444 of 446 (13,352 results)

Posts 13291 - 13320 (13,352 total)

Aug 1, 2017 01:03PM BBINACT wrote:

I am going into the city to visit my son tomorrow. I have always had nice fingernails though chemo has permanently ruined my toe nails, but I still keep my fingernails long. The index finger on my left hand is discolored by smoking the last year or so, and he has on many occasions mentioned it with distain. I will need paint my nails for my visit, or at least that one.

I give you girls much credit. I have many regrets these last few years but prior, my worst regret was starting to smoke.

Aug 1, 2017 10:04PM HoneyBeaw wrote:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/krud-kutter/

They have several types and all work great. I have also used simple green that works good but hate the smell .

Huggs

Surgery 11/27/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/5/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/26/2016 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Aug 4, 2017 08:55PM BBINACT wrote:

Thank you Honey.

Aug 4, 2017 09:15PM MinusTwo wrote:

I agree about Simple Green. It really does get rid of the smoke stains - if you can handle the smell.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Aug 5, 2017 08:10AM BBINACT wrote:

I am trying yet another quit. I have been having breathing difficulties and have COPD which flares up pretty bad every now and then. It has been quite bad lately and so maybe the timing is right. It has been less than 24 hours but every ciggie not smoked is a win.

How are the others doing in their efforts to quit?

Aug 5, 2017 01:02PM VJSL8 wrote:

Congratulations BosumBlues! You are so right that every ciggie avoided is a win!!!! Good luck for your continued success at becoming smoke-free.

VJ Sleight, 1st diagnosis: 1987, stage 2, ER+, 0/18 nodes, lympectomy, radiation and chemo. cancer free for 22 years, 10 months and 27 days. www.StopSmokingStayQuit.blogspot.com Dx 8/2/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 5, 2017 02:42PM BBINACT wrote:

Oh VJ, I was wondering where you were. Nah....I got hit with a DMV notice that they were suspending my license and it is completely ridiculous and bogus, but they are incompetent and so as always there will be a major annoyance to set me off. First thing I did was grab a pack of smokes. For crissake, can I just get a few days behind me til some a' hole takes me down? I could do this if I could be Bubble Boy for a couple weeks. I guess that is what rehab is all about.... learning to live in the outside world while secluded and insulated for a time.

Yet another major fail on my part but I lack coping skills. I am disgusted with myself and I resent these intrusions in my life when I try soooo hard to live right.

Aug 6, 2017 10:17AM lisamarie68 wrote:

Bosom, Good Luck on your Move... I hope all goes well .. As far as the smoke you can remove with lots of cleaners .. I cant remember what we used when I was cleaning houses .. I am getting more and more scrared .. Ive been working ungodly hours .. I am on a 12 day stretch now .. I went and bought a brand new veichle .. as I was so scared t take the old one to Vegas .. o now I am so scared of the payment s and all.. i really want to get back to nursing school before all is lost .. but I got a lot on my plate these days ... the clock is winding down .. just about 7 more weeks and I will be on the road to mom ... anyway good to see the site moving right along again .. love and hugs to you all ...

xoxoxoxxo

Lisamarie

lisamarie Dx 1/18/2012, LCIS, 0/13 nodes, ER+ Surgery 4/24/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/24/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/12/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 2/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Aug 6, 2017 10:38AM BBINACT wrote:

Lisamarie, good luck with your upcoming move as well. I know you are doing what you need to be doing in this move. Perhaps think of it as a trial run. As a mother you well know that we would never want our children to sacrifice their happiness and future for us and I am sure your mother feels the same way. Give it a go but know you can always come back. Your mom has options and she can follow you.

Aug 8, 2017 11:48AM VJSL8 wrote:

BosumBlues -- Don't be so hard on yourself. As you said-- every cigarette not smoked is a win!. Plus you know what it is that you need-- more coping strategies for stress. Which is quite normal for smokers because at whatever age you stated smoking -- whenever you were under stress, you reached for a cigarette -- so it is a totally normal reaction for you and for almost all smokers. It's not easy but you can do it and the next time will be longer than the last time. It's normal for smokers to quit many times before they are finally successful. Just use this as a learning experience.

VJ Sleight, 1st diagnosis: 1987, stage 2, ER+, 0/18 nodes, lympectomy, radiation and chemo. cancer free for 22 years, 10 months and 27 days. www.StopSmokingStayQuit.blogspot.com Dx 8/2/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 8, 2017 03:56PM BBINACT wrote:

Thank you VJ....you are a valuable asset here. Please continue to check in and help us along.

Aug 9, 2017 05:15PM MinusTwo wrote:

VJ - so glad that you're still checking in. I have been posting less but think of you all - ALWAYS.

Walked into a bank through a covered parking lot last week and had to pass the 'smoking corner'. Got one good whif of a fresh smoke. As we've said many times - I will always be a smoker. I'm just a smoker who does not smoke.

I don't often go to movies, but was reading a review of Atomic Blonde with Charlize Theron. This sentence in the review really struck me:

"When she takes a smooth drag on a cigarette, that sound you hear rustling across the earth's surface is the collective swoon of 50 million ex-smokers."

We're part of that 50 million, or attempting to get there. Congrats if you've made it. Hang in there if you're still trying. Your time will come.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Aug 10, 2017 02:52PM BBINACT wrote:

I am officially a hypocrite! Every year the exterminators come into my apt to check for bugs and infestations. I have no problems w bugs but I well know that if one apt has issues and they spray only the one the bugs will travel. I am so against pesticides long before my BC but since chemo I am very sensitized to all smells, candles, perfume, anything w scents and as always, mindful of pesticides. I called the apt and said I adamantly opposed any preventive sprays in my apartment. I made such a huge fuss! Ugh.... exterminator was just here and I went to the door w my cancer stick in my hand and argued that I didn't wanted my apt sprayed cause I battled cancer. what an ass I am.

Aug 12, 2017 12:33PM PerAngusta wrote:

Update (and perhaps some hope?) for my breast cancer friends who are hoping that they can someday QUIT for good.....check out my posts on this thread!! I HATED the experience of quitting smoking but I did want to quit. So I struggled and struggled and one day.....realized that I quit smoking in November of 2014 (2 weeks before my bilateral mastectomy) and haven't picked up a cigarette since!! WHAT A TRIP!!! As if cancer wasn't challenging enough. lol And oh, let's not forget the launch into menopause OVERNIGHT. lol I'll admit, I've lost a few loved ones....apparently, I was far too cranky to be around during cancer, treatment AND the quit.....so my mother and sister have stopped speaking to me (and my entire family, including the children) since 2015. ): I don't care. At first I missed the cigarettes and then OF COURSE, I missed my "loved ones"....and then I realized.....the ones who really counted NEVER LEFT MY SIDE. I gained 30 pounds (who knows if the quit or the drugs or the surgeries or the steroids or the combination did it!!!), lost sleep and truly suffered. BUT I MADE IT - SO FAR!!! I lost the weight (it took a year of dieting and exercise) and honestly, NEVER feel the urge to smoke anymore. FYI - I started smoking at age 14.....mastectomy at age 48. I smoked about 15 cigarettes a day for the greater part of my life. And now......I don't!!! I decided to write this for any of you out there who are trying but feel like giving up!!! IT IS TOUGH!!! But it can be done. Also FYI - this last quit was my SEVENTH TIME trying!! The longest I ever lasted on any previous quit was 8 months (pretty long!! I actually thought I had it licked that time!!!) and as I look at the calendar today I smile and remind myself that it will be THREE YEARS this November!!! Hang in there. I know it is ALL SO DIFFICULT - ALL OF THIS - NOT ONE PART OF THIS ILLNESS IS EASY!!! Please know that I am cheering for you - whether you quit this time or not at all!!! I am wishing good things for all of you!!!! :)

Aug 12, 2017 01:46PM MinusTwo wrote:

PerAugusta - thanks so much for sharing your story. I feel certain people check out this thread and feel that everyone has already quit. Not so... And your story is just what we all need to hear.

Aug 12, 2017 02:15PM Freya wrote:

Just curious how much cigarettes cost where you are? I was at the supermarket yesterday waiting at the service counter and nearly fell over at the price. The cheapest packet was about $1 each, so $25 for a 20 pack and $40 for a 40 pack. The price also goes up every 6 months, and they are all in plain packaging, a dark olive green with graphic pics of stuff like gangrene and someone dying of lung cancer.

This is in Australia.

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2017 10:44PM MinusTwo wrote:

Freya - I think that's really cheap. The average in Texas is over $7.00 now for ONE pack. In Houston it's over $10.00 per pack depending on where you shop. Another good reason I felt justified in buying myself a new pair of flip-flops.

Aug 12, 2017 11:29PM Freya wrote:

Minus, I wrote that badly, I meant $1 per cigarette minimum. So a pack of 20 is $25, a pack of 40 is $40. I know people who go through a pack a day so easily a $150 a week.

That's what happens when you write posts at 4am.

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2017 08:17PM HoneyBeaw wrote:

I live in Tn and they are around 4.50 for a pack, which is way to even pay that much............but I still do twice a week. Im now down to 2-3 packs a week now which is big for me. I wait for the day I no longer want one . I guess I use to lie to myself thinking I could quit when ever I wanted.

Huggs to you all

Surgery 11/27/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/5/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/26/2016 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/16/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Aug 14, 2017 09:44PM BBINACT wrote:

$9.60 here... and then I cry that I have no money to go anywhere or do anything.

Aug 14, 2017 10:53PM MinusTwo wrote:

Interesting. Wonder why I thought they were $20.00/pack in NYC? Probably more than the fact.

LisaMarie - I know you don't have to worry about this anymore, but whats the cost out there?

And VR - what's the cost in So California?

Price was a good incentive for me. I actually did count up how many packs I didn't smoke and treated myself to new clothes or meals out with that money. Of course I was working at the time & it made a difference.

Aug 15, 2017 12:41AM BBINACT wrote:

$13 a couple miles from here over state line. It is the taxes that cost so much. Now we have a frickin' soda tax. Small mom and pop delis and pizzerias say they will not be serving soda because of the expense. What is next? Alcohol, smokes, sweets.... tax on sex? ;)

Aug 15, 2017 07:12PM HoneyBeaw wrote:

M family lives in Iowa and go to Missouri where they can buy for 5.50 a packs vs 8.00 a pack in Iowa, Yes it all depends on city and state taxes . . My Husband was in NYC recently and he said they were 15.00 in the city. Needless to say he did not buy any

Aug 17, 2017 12:36AM lisamarie68 wrote:

New York 10 to 11 a pack on long island but NYC can pay 12 -13 per pack ... crazy ans glad that its 3 years for me not buying them .. my moneyb goes on junk food ,,, gaining weight lol .. but smoke free ..xoxoxox

Lisamarie

lisamarie Dx 1/18/2012, LCIS, 0/13 nodes, ER+ Surgery 4/24/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/24/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/12/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 2/12/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Aug 17, 2017 12:38AM lisamarie68 wrote:

wow honey , I havent smoked in 3 years so the cost in NYC went up even more yikes 15 now ..

Aug 17, 2017 04:51PM MinusTwo wrote:

And I smoked a pack a day - every day. When I was having a drink or playing cards or sitting around a swimming pool - sometimes I smoked two packs. Two packs a day at NYC prices - $10,950. I'm having so much fun spending all that extra money.

Aug 24, 2017 09:41AM lisamarie68 wrote:

Hello My friends .. time is growing near for me to go to Vegas .. I am def getting crazy and stressed and just scared to death ..I dont know if I mentioned I bought a brand new car .. well a 2017 Hyundai Tuscon .. it will make me feel 100 % better about my trip.. My mom went from I don't need you to come , I will let you know to I am so excited and cannot wait until you get here attitude ... makes me feel better ... I just cannot stand the boyfriend ... been working crazy ungodly hours to get there ... Dated a couple times .. MEH is how I feel about that ... I don't need a date now I guess as I am leaving NY ... My friends at work are amazing and they say they will mis me so much . If anyone would like my Address in Nevada please feel free to pm me ... I hope everyone is ok .. and I am sorry for not being here as much ... Love and Hugs to you all ...xoxoxoo

LisaMarie

Aug 24, 2017 09:53AM MinusTwo wrote:

LisaMarie - I will PM for your address, but still hope you'll be checking in here occasionally. Right???

I have a good friend who's kids recently moved to Nevada. Hopefully I can get out there one day. Also I'd like to see Bryce & Zion National parks and Las Vegas is a good starting place.

Yes, I'm sure the move is scary but I'm so glad to hear your Mom is now looking forward to you coming. Maybe the boyfriend will fade into the background. We can always hope. Great about your new car. That good security.

Aug 24, 2017 10:03AM BBINACT wrote:

Lisamarie, look at it as a new adventure and see where it takes you. Oh my, I remember you as a subservient battered woman and look at you now.... so independent!

Hey Minus. Bruce and Zion are amazing and a must do.

I am vaping a lot which is better than smoking. It certainly isn't enjoyable and really just for a fix so at least I am cutting down on my cigs and saving some money.

Aug 24, 2017 10:28AM lisamarie68 wrote:

Minus ... yes I will still be on here .. love ya all .. Bosom .. I know ... cannot believe how far i have come ..

Lisamarie

Page 444 of 446 (13,352 results)