Join Us

We are 218,114 members in 84 forums discussing 160,906 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Family support or intervention since your diagnosis.

Forum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis —

Share your experiences of life after a breast cancer diagnosis and offer advice on how you cope with life's daily challenges, including how you develop a new daily/weekly routine while you deal with breast cancer.

Posted on: Sep 29, 2020 05:04AM - edited Sep 29, 2020 05:44AM by Moderators

GraceOforiwa wrote:

This Post was deleted by Moderators.
Had bilateral mastectomy at age 26, cancer found early, had no treatment, been surviving since. Had a double breast implant replacement in July 2020 Dx 6/2007, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER-

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Oct 18, 2020 06:54AM GraceOforiwa wrote:

Hi There,

How did your families react to you being diagnosed with breast cancer? Did they do any specific interventions like come together and decide how to support you. Or did they not do anything that you felt was supportive or that helped you in your survivorship journey?

I remember when I was diagnosed, that was 13 years ago. My family did not know how to react. I remember my Mom and my elder sister when the only ones who really spoke to me and tried to give me some kind of support. My Mom also went with me to some of my appointments, then after my surgeries my aunt and sisters took time to look after me. I guess the main intervention I recall was how the women in my life would look after me since I was having a bilateral mastectomy done. I was only 26, single and I had just started working, so it was hard. But looking back, the women in my life did what they could and I will forever be grateful.

What did your family do for you, please share your story.

Regards,

Grace

Had bilateral mastectomy at age 26, cancer found early, had no treatment, been surviving since. Had a double breast implant replacement in July 2020 Dx 6/2007, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER-

Oct 18, 2020 07:49AM SimoneRC wrote:

Hi Grace,

Just curious if you are the same Grace referenced in the Moderator post “The Effect of Family Based Interventions on Quality of Life” in the Survey, Interviews and Participant Requests: Need Your Help Topic? If so, would you mind editing your post above for full disclosure? If you are the same person, you are posting here to support your work, not just as a woman looking for advice or wanting to share.

Thanks, and good luck with your project.

ATM Gene Mutation, Deletion. IDC w/Lobular Features and Focal Mucinous Features. Pre Pectoral Reconstruction. Hysterectomy

Oct 19, 2020 07:07AM GraceOforiwa wrote:

Hi SimoneRC,

I am the same person, but I am not using any of this for my research. There are rules I have to follow as a doctoral student and I would have to get permission to use what people share here and that is not my plan. For my study I have to get permission from my university and I got that from the board. This is me really seeking to know what others have been through and that is why I shared my story. I would be violating the university rules if I use any information here.

I just wanted to share and ask my pink sisters what they have been through.

Oct 19, 2020 11:18AM SimoneRC wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. Good luck with your project.

Pink Sisters???? Must be October;-)

ATM Gene Mutation, Deletion. IDC w/Lobular Features and Focal Mucinous Features. Pre Pectoral Reconstruction. Hysterectomy

Oct 19, 2020 11:25AM AliceBastable wrote:

Perhaps you could fill out your information to reassure members that you're not fishing for information for your project on this page. And "pink sisters?" - puh-leeeze, just no.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Cancer's a bitch, but I'm a bigger one with more practice. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/7/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 19, 2020 04:37PM GraceOforiwa wrote:

Oh I am sorry, I didn't know the Pink sisters is a no no. Sorry ladies and I will fill in my information to put everyone at ease.

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)