Join Us

We are 224,261 members in 83 forums discussing 163,468 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Mammogram frequency after cancer

Forum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis —

Share your experiences of life after a breast cancer diagnosis and offer advice on how you cope with life's daily challenges, including how you develop a new daily/weekly routine while you deal with breast cancer.

Posted on: Dec 14, 2020 05:04PM

Togethertolearn wrote:

What have you heard or experienced about this... My oncologist will not allow me an 18 month after breast cancer mammogram , yet aren't you supposed to get mammos every six months for the first two years? If so, does anyone know a way to get one without an onco referral? thank you!

Diagnosed 2019, age 45. Dx 4/2019, Right, <1cm, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Dec 14, 2020 05:14PM moth wrote:

The official guidelines are annual mammography. Every 3-6 months a physical with physician palpating/examining remaining breast tissue, lymph nodes, liver etc..

" physical examination every 3 to 6 mo for the first 3 y after primary therapy, every 6‐12 mo for the next 2 y, and annually thereafter"

"should refer women who have received a unilateral mastectomy for annual mammography on the intact breast and, for those with lumpectomies, an annual mammography of both breasts "

https://acsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/fu...

I got my referrals from my GP. Do you have a family physician? It doesn't have to the oncologist who does the follow up. In our system, we get discharged from MOs care when we're finished treatment & the GP takes over.

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/25/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/8/2020 External Dx 12/9/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2020 Femara (letrozole) Dx 1/28/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 3/2/2021 External: Bone

Dec 15, 2020 05:08PM flashlight wrote:

Hi Togethertolear, I was told 6-months after radiation then yearly if no issues. Script for possible ultrasound and always 3D. My MO told me there was a problem getting her patients to come in for a mammogram due to Covid. Before BC my PCP ordered the mammogram. 18-months is way too long to wait.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Jan 18, 2021 01:25PM Togethertolearn wrote:

After being told it would probably get cancelled since I wasn't supposed to get one (thatstill makes no sense), I got a mammo today, my OB helped pull it through. Only it was scheduled wrong so I had to wait and get two sets of pics but I didn't care - right side where cancer was is fine! Left side results will be sent in the mail. They were very very nice. A huge load off my mind to get a mammo 18 months after. Don't give up if you want one, someone somewhere will listen!

Diagnosed 2019, age 45. Dx 4/2019, Right, <1cm, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)