Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Western New York Area

Maureen813
Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826

Looking for women/men on this site that are from the Western New York State Area to share stories, compare notes and plan a get together in the summer.  What do you think?

Maureen

Comments

• kindone
    kindone Member Posts: 435
    edited January 2011

Maureen, I am from South Buffalo, PM if your like.  I just saw this site.  Betty

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Hi Betty,  There are a few women that seem to be from this area.  Hoping more women join the thread.  You have a very similar dx as I do.  I'm encouraged you are  three years out.  Will PM soon.

Maureen

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

How is WNYer's taking the weather?  I'm freezing.  Went to the grocery store today and wind almost took the wig right off my head.  What a site that would've been, running down the street chasing the wig.  Laughing

Maureen

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited January 2011

Dear Maureen, I think you were brave to go out, this weekend it is supposed to get even colder with temps in the single digits.  I shopped on Thurs. at a farmers market outside, it was bitter especially with the wind.  So, I am in hibernation mode, and will not venture into the negative wind chill temps.  Hope all WNY's are able to keep warm.  I did see a 30's in the long range forecast, it'll feel great.  Heard from a friend in Va. where I used to live, her kids have had 2 snow days already due to 2 inches of snow, my grandchildren keep on hoping for one!   Karen

• EllieD
    EllieD Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2011

Hi Maureen,

I'm in the Southern Tier.  Had my treatment at Roswell.  You?

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Hi Ellie, Welcome to WNY site.  Had tx by private BS and onc. Bauer and Soniwala.  Still in active treatment, 7 more taxols to go and then onto radiation.  I see your onco is 27.  Did you do chemo?  A couple of other women are being treated at Roswell, seem to like it too. Hope you're keeping warm in the southern tier?  Great to see another WNYer on these sites. Think spring :)

Maureen

• EllieD
    EllieD Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2011

I had my surgery at Roswell, but did chemo down here - cytoxan and taxotere.  Then tried all three AIs and couldn't tolerate the SEs. Now on tamoxifen and doing fine.

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Glad to hear you're doing well. Hope the weather is okay. We should post pictures of WNY here too....when I figure out how to post a picture,  anyone?

• karen333
    edited January 2011

If this is what the temps will be all winter, we will all be frozen stiff.  About 4 inches of snow but with the windchill it will be below zero tonight.  WNY'ers stay warm.  Will have to prestart the car tomorrow for Dr. app't.  Karen

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Unbelievable, right now my weatherbug says -2F.  The snow is glistening.  Wonder if the deer will be in the backyard tonight,  I'd love to figure out how to get a picture in the dark of the deer by the pine trees.  This is the coldest weather I remember in some time. 

Looking for ideas for a get together in the spring, restaurant, my house, park?  Any ideas?  How many are game for getting together? 

One other issue, was going to walk in the Susan B. Komen run, usually in June but with the lawsuit I'm leary, opinions?

• kindone
    edited January 2011

Maureen, I would love a get together in the Spring.  I am not sure about the Susan B Komen run.

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Thanks Betty, I'll start a list :)  Having trouble sleeping cause next chemo tomorrow. I'm cold just thinking about it. My outside temp -10F BRRRRRR.  Disappointed cause desperate houswives and brothers and sisters are repeats.  Two of my favorite shows.  Thinking they will close the schools on Monday due to the cold.  Stay warm friends.

Maureen

• D4Hope
    D4Hope Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2011

I am from Rochester, sick of the cold already.

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Welcome D4Hope.  Just watching the school closings and quite surprised they haven't closed/delayed area schools.  My DS can hop in the car to stay warm but feel sorry for the little ones waiting at the bus stop in this weather.

• D4Hope
    edited January 2011

Rochester City Schools are closed. Our district is open but my kids get picked up right in front of our house. They stay inside until they see the bus coming LOL.

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Good idea.  Temp is now in the 20's. Leaving chemo, I definitely saw the difference.  Years ago I had to make weekly trips to Strong Memorial for DS. Trip was easy, right down the 90 to Henrietta and the hospital is right at the exit,  made that trip for two years.  Went for taxol #5(I think LOL) and doing okay.  The onc added tummy meds and extra fluids.  I'm doing okay, just want a nap from the Benadryl. DS, DD and DH all working late so I'll be along lurking the boards for most of the week.  Next week I go back to work PT so company pays health insurance. Hopefully all will go well.  Biggest complaint with this tx. is my mouth feels funny.  I'm gargling like crazy but still feeling very tingly? Glad you joined.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon.  Bring on spring.

Maureen

• karen333
    edited January 2011

Maureen, rest and stay warm and cozy by the space heater.  It was bitter yesterday, but today you can feel the dampness  Karen

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Thanks Karen, will do.  Glad we warmed up a little.  I was surprised the schools were'nt closed yesterday for the little ones.

Elle/Betty, how are you ladies doing with this weather.  I think we should save our pennies and plan a cruise to somewhere really warm, too bad chemo/rads will keep me local till the spring.

Betty, we have almost the same dx.  What was your treatment in 2007?

Maureen

• kindone
    edited January 2011

Maureen, I think we had the same treatment. A/C -4, Taxol 12, Rads 33. RAds was no big deal for me I went back to work during rads (part time).   Maureen you mouth will get better it will just take time.  I know how bad that is, but it will get back to normal.

I am on Fermera now and it makes me hurt and stiff.  I will be going to Soniwala's the end of Feb for a Zomenta treatment, as a revetment for bone mets.  I still healing from my surgery and I have pain in my rib area, I don;t know whats causing it.  Inflammation I think and this weather isn' t  making it better.

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Wow maybe we'll run into each other.  I go every Monday till the first week of March for chemo.  Do you have bone mets?  The weather is really damp today and just can't warm up. 

Maureen

• kindone
    edited January 2011

Maureen, No I don't have bone mets it is a preventive measure.  My insurance allows it. I will be there Feb 28 at 2:30pm.  What time will you be there?  Betty

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

8AM.  looks like we'll miss each other.  Usually get there around 745AM and out by 11:30.  My DD takes me to every infusion then she's off to school and work. 

Maureen

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited January 2011

Hi everyone, Just wanted to introduce myself. I am from the WNY area too, specifically Williamsville.  I hear we're headed fro another storm this week... Yuck!! Tired of the cold. Glad to have found some new friends..

• Maureen813
    edited January 2011

Welcome Bevin. Glad you joined.   You are right up the street from me :) Heard Wednesday was the day for the storm. Don Paul says so (LOL). At least this isn't 1977!!!  Who remembers the Blizzard of '77?  I remember both my parents were stuck at work for days, then they got home on snow mobiles with co-workers who stayed at the house for almost a week.  My sisters and I held a burping contest (LOL).  What can I say, we were teenagers with nothing to do but shovel.

Thread seems to be starting to pick up.  This will be the 3rd week I have chemo when the temp is hovering below or at zero!!  Just thinking of an old man river hot dog on the river, sun shining and I'm warm, really warm and the bees are buzzing and the jet skis are humming along.....Any other "warm" memories out there??

• bevin
    edited January 2011

Jet ski's on lake erie are the best!  Booked sumemr vacation to the NC Beaches and leave     June 23 whooo hooo - so looking forward to it. Pool will open in early May - I cannot stand looking at that green cover!

Fond memories of the Blizzard - no school - that was enough to make me happy back then!!

Maureen - I hope chemo goes well for you this week and that you don't have too many side effects.

xox

Bevin

• kjbell
    kjbell Member Posts: 454
    edited January 2011

I am from cold and snowy Rochester...ugh...and I too have had it with the snow and cold. My dad lives in Florida and my daughter is a senior at UNLV (Las Vegas). Why the heck am I here????Lol! Hope all is going well for those still in treatment. I too have met many nice people on these boards. It is the one good thing that comes out of our membership in this "club"!

Maureen-Avon is having their walk in NYC in Oct. I am planning on doing that! Nice to meet everyone!

• D4Hope
    edited January 2011

I am from cold and snowy Rochester too. Does it have to snow everyday?

• karen333
    edited January 2011

Hi kjbell and D4Hope, I am between you and Buffalo, in Batavia N.Y..  I too have seen enough of the white stuff and the bitterly cold temps, 2 more months, lord it sounds like forever doesn't it?  Thinking positive thoughts for all those in active treatment, I am on my second year of AI's, that plus the cold makes for some achey joints.  I don't remembeer last winter being this cold.  My BS and onc are at Rochester General, both are superb.  They were refered to me by EWBC clinic, which is a top notch Breast Care Center.  I am from Buffalo, so my DD drives the Rochester trips.  She is such a support to me and has been throughout this journey.  Everybody stay warm, another storm on it's way.  Karen

• bevin
    edited February 2011

Here comes the snow.... of course my daughter is hoping for a snow day!!  She might just be right!

• Maureen813
    edited February 2011

Watching the weather channel and seeing the snow on the way is starting to make me nervous.  I always think back to "77" all that snow, wind and mess.  Watching channel 4 too and they've cancelled a lot of schools already.  This is one benefit of being on disability and working from home, no driving in the mess.  Told my DS to be home before the storm and for the first time he gave me no grief.  Thinking he's keeping an eye on the weather too!!  Stay safe ladies, it looks like we need to hunker down the next couple of days. I can honestly say, I'm really sick of this winter,  bring on spring!!!!