Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Texas Hill Country BC Warriors?

rmlulu
rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501

Just reaching out to any and all Texas Hill Country BC Warriors?

Where are you on this BC journey...newly diagnosis, in treatment, finishing treatment.

Thought it might we might be surprised to find somebody right in our own backyard who can come alongside and offer encouragement, support, tears, laughter, just be there.

Everything is Bigger in TX...so Hill Country, Piney Woods, Big Valley, West TX, Panhandle, Big D, Gulf Coast...lets help each other on this journey! So hop on and share about yourself...hopefully we can connect and meet in the future.

Cindy

Comments

• rmlulu

Hi y'all

I'll go first!

I live in Horseshoe Bay.

DX while in CA for the holidays-next year I want something nice in my stocking...

IDC <1 cm, but 2 tumors at high noon near chest wall, ER/PR+, Her2-, grade 2, 0/7 nodes
    <br />TX lumpectomy with radiation 28 full / 5 boosts

HT gulp 3rd week of Aromasin ...goal 5 yrs.

Trying an intergrated approach...West meets East. My BC center encourages nutrition, exercise, meditation, support, and more...

What's your plan of action!

Cindy

• rmlulu

Bump

• rmlulu

Hi THCWarriors - are any of you participating in the Livestrong Y fitness programs?

There are YMCAs across US that provide a 12 week fitness programs for all cancer patients and their caregivers...yes!

If you visit the site you can make contact, locate and register...

Cindy

• rmlulu

Bump!

• rmlulu

Bump! It's a hoot:)

• SweetheartinTX
    SweetheartinTX Member Posts: 18

l live on the Texas Gulf Coast! And I was just diagnosed in May. I am a stay at home mom of 2 girls and only 27 years old.

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163

Another Gulf Coast/Southeast TX person.  56 years old and in good overall health.  Live in Dayton but receiving care in the Clear Lake area.  Diagnosed in February and received chemotherapy first.  Completed TAC chemo less than two weeks ago.  Chemo was no fun but got through it with minimal se's.  Impatiently waiting for taste buds to return to normal.  I still have surgery and possibly radiation options to discuss and make a decision.  First appointment July 15.  

RM it looks like you completed active treatment.  Not sure how much I can help except to be a friend.  I also plan to work with dietician and acupuncture/massage therapy when through wih active treatment.  May be several months down the road.

Sweetheart are you having dose-dense A/C(every 2 weeks) then T or TAC on a 21 day cycle?  I can give you support for TAC.  Same drugs but all 3 at once.  The main thing is water, water, water.  I had no nausea, blood work was consistently within range on every test, only had 2 days I mostly slept (treatment Tues bad days Thurs and Fri), walked at least a half-mile a day.  I did have mouth issues and taste bud issues the entire time and two big toe nails did change color but will not lose them. 

Sorry for the diagnosis at such an early age.  I cannot imagine having young kids at home.  Do you have family nearby to help you?  Many prayers going your way.

Jeannine

• rmlulu

Hi y'all - so glad to meet some BC TX warriors, but sorry we meet under these circumstances...ugh this beast called €##€##:(

SweetheartinTX - sorry that you are so young with little girls. Hoping you have a strong support team to help you ...hubby, family, and friends. And you feel comfortable asking for help. Sending calm confident thoughts & prayers as you begin chemo...will be in your pocket {{{squeeze}}}

Jeannie - you've already come so far...chemo first to shrink the enemy. Glad you made it through chemo land with minimal SEs. Sending positive thoughts for 7/15 appointment. Waiting is hard ...ugh, but you use your wait to heal and recoup.

Yes, I've completed active tx, but did tx out of state and need to find BC team here. Trying to determine what services are in the area. Just finished 1st month of HT and doing well minimal SEs and skin has calmed down from rads. But there is some separation anxiety...plan on going 6 mos before next BC appointments and testing. My choice. Unless I find a great team here. Thankful for this site and the amazing sisters fighting along side me.

Happy Independence Day brave warriors!

Cindy

• carolpr56
    carolpr56 Member Posts: 22

Hey there ; ). I'm in Austin, but leaving for CA tomorrow for 2 week vacation! It would be great to meet up sometime, when we can coordinate it around multiple schedules, lol! Do you come here often?

• DeliriumPie
    DeliriumPie Member Posts: 1,186

Howdy Texas ladies. I am not in the hill country but in DFW. I was diagnosed in march and just completed my 7th of 8 planned chemo treatments. Surgery and rads will be next. I have continued working and find I have much better tolerance for it on the taxol than I did while on AC. A couple if those days I just didn't care if anyone's orders got filled or if my team was goofing off without my being there.

It is nice to hear from others that are near though hate that we are all in this club no one wants to join. Happy 4th to all.

• rmlulu

Hi y'all

Carolpr56 - have a fun time in CA...2 weeks of cooler weather! Rest up & recharge:)

TX is our primary home, but for medical my hubby prefers to return to CA. So Rancho Mirage is our get a way spot. I prefer the beach, but he's a desert rat...ugh 122 there the other day.

Yes I would enjoy meeting:). Sending happy memory making times on vacation and a no c zone ...enjoy!

DeliriumPie - luv that what a hoot! Big D! Congrats on completing your 7th chemo...way to go warrior. And able to work too! Sure your team did their jobs ...you set a high bar.

Sending power filled thoughts for chemo to squeeze and shrink that c down to nothing for surgery. This is one curve at a time roller coaster and we will be in your pocket (((squeeze)))

Think I've had my fill of watermelon...wish there were fireworks more often...Ooo...Ahhh!

Can't help but smile:). Grateful to find other warriors in TX...but oh how I wish that none of us had to ride this coaster or that more would join us ... ugh this €##€##!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607

Hello from Houston.....

Just wanted to let you know that there is a Texas thread on the Get Together Forum.  It isn't very active but it is there.

I have completed surgery and chemo/Herceptin and now just on maintenance-- Tamox/ regular testing. 

Sweetheartin TX- Please feel free to private message me.

• TxAgSueB
    TxAgSueB Member Posts: 4

Greetings from San Antonio~

What a blessing to share thoughts and experiences with ladies in the bc community. Especially from Texas!

I was diagnosed ILC 4/30/13 and am 6 weeks post UMX, with MO recommending 4 treatments of Taxotere Cytoxan. It wIll start next week. I was really on the fence about doing chemo because of no lymph node involvement and an Onctype score of 18. But the tumor invaded the chest muscle and skin so I am going ahead with chemo. But I am not yet at peace with the decision. With a little more time, I expect peace to come!

I have a great support system and a strong faith so I know I will get through chemo fine.

Blessings to each of you in your journey!

BTHO BC,

Sue

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607

TXAgSueB- Wishing you well with the upcoming chemo.  I had the same chemo regimen and fortunately had minimal side effects. Please feel free to join the Cytoxan/Taxotere Ladies Feb/March 2013 chemo thread.... that thread is still going with newbies.  If you have any questions about your chemo regimen, please feel free to private message me.

• rmlulu

Welcome TxAgSueB!

Congrats on moving forward with your active treatment. The choices we all face ugh:(. But we are so fortunate to have each other...to come alongside to encourage, share, cry, and show the way... Glad you have a strong support system and faith.

Breath...may you find peace with your decision and never second guess yourself...press forward brave warrior. Stay focus on today. Sending calm confident thoughts and prayers.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• TxAgSueB
    TxAgSueB Member Posts: 4

Melrosemelrose - thank you so much for your wishes and offer to answer questions.  I pray for minimal side effects, but will deal with what comes my way.

Cindy - thank you for the encouragement!  I am already feeling some peace!  

xoxoSue 

• rmlulu

Hi y'all

TxAgSueB - we are in your pocket this week for 1st chemo (((squeeze)))

DeliriumPie - hang in there as you finish your final chemo {{{squeeze}}} and prepare for next step.

Jeannie - hope you have a good week and are feeling ready for your appointment 7/15 :)

Carol - vacation fun:). Bring cool breezes home:)

Yeah, light rain yesterday...keep it cool and not steamy ...:))) ha this is TX!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• jbdayton

Thank you RMlulu.  I am having a very busy week.  My oldest daughter and her husband sold their house and closing is July 17.  The have to have everything out by 7/15 so the cleaners can come in 7/16.  They will be moving in with us on the 15th and staying until August 3rd.  I will cherish the time with us because they are relocating to another country.  They took positions with an international school.  My SIL will be the Director of Education and my DD will teach 3rd grade.

They are moving to Baku, Azerbaijan.  I never heard of this country but it is south of Russia, north of Iran and east of Georgia on the Caspian Sea.  I can't believe they are going to be so far away but they are super excited about the opportunity.  They signed a three year contract.  They will be home 2 months each summer.  After all this BC is behind me I guess a trip overseas may be in my plans.  I guess SKYPE will be my new communication friend.

Luckily, my other DD lives only 30 minutes away. 

Any luck in finding a BC team locally?

DeleriumPie - hope your last infusion is over and you can focus on the next step.  I know the feeling just want to get the surgery and rads if needed planned and scheduled.   I know it will take a while for testing and results, hurry up and wait again.

TxAgSueB - i did neo-adjuvant chemo because my tumor was up against the chest wall with possible invasion.  After two rounds my MO said the tumor had shrunk by at least 60% and was no longer attached to the chest wall.  So I am glad I did the chemo.  Hope you can have faith that chemo does work. 

Sweetheartin i hope your treatments are going well. 

Blessings to everyone and take care.

Jeannine   

• rmlulu

Hi y'all

Hope everyone s acing a good summer. So thankful for the hits of rain over TE past few weeks and breaks in temps:)

TxAgSue - pressing on thru chemo land...(((squeeze)))

DeliriumPie - finish line? Let us know how you are doing...preparing for rads? Emu oil and hydrate!

Carol - vacation memories and smiles :)

Jeannine - a full house :) fun times with kiddos luv Skype & FaceTime :)

Sweetheartin - hope your treatments are going well with minimal SEs and approaching TE finish line :)

If any of you ladies would like to meet up give a shout out.

Oh looking for a good LE therapist in Austin area...thx

Cindy

• DeliriumPie

Sounds like a lot going on Cindy! I had my pre op appt today and will probably be having surgery next week. Next week. Having trouble grasping that. I feel like I've just been diagnosed all over again. Life was moving along at the new normal during chemo. Now I'm feeling overwhelmed and depressed again. I was making future plans, feeling good. Now I feel like I'm staring at an immovable brick wall. Ok. Enough of my whining. I try to stay ever positive and bright in front of everyone in my life. I am thankful for everyone on here where I can have my moments and not get horrified and concerned looks in return. I hope everyone is doing well.

• rmlulu

DeliriumPie - Congrats on completing chemo! You've come a long difficult way, but now your BC team is ready to get that €##€## out if there! Breathe...

The wait, the end of each step in tx has its own questions and celebrations.

We will be in your pocket today for your BS pre-op appt {{{squeeze}}}

Today you will have more answers...chemo shrunk t, nodes kicked too. Wait is almost over.

Be kind to yourself... celebrate life today...go blow some bubbles, wiggle your toes in the grass, buy something frivolous, LOL :))) now make some future plans :)

Sending calm confident thoughts and prayers!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• la4950
    la4950 Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone from Uvalde!

I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago with stage IV metastatic BC thats on my bones.  It was found after I broke my hip in a fall (long story) so I kinda am dealing with a double whammy. Its on both hips and my spine now. Everyone tells me the fractrue was fortuitous, which it probably was, since who knows how long I would have gone undiagnosed.  I am doing radiation first to help with the lesions on the bones since they are like sponge right now.  After radiation I will start with chemo.  I am also taking tamoxifen.  Anyone else have insominia and hot flashes with that stuff?  After I weaned off the vicoden, which I was on for the fracture, I havent slept properly since.  I'm not sure I can go five years without proper sleep...... the hot flashes are a nuisance, but not as troublesome as the lack of sleep.  Any suggestions would be most welcome!

LoriAnne

• rmlulu

LoriAnne - welcome, but oh my I'm so sorry about your diagnosis.

Having survived hot flashes and insomnia once all natural, I'm not too thrilled with visiting them again. I've been most fortunate my SEs from HT are minimal.

I recommend ask and tell...talk with your MO and RO and the social worker oncologist and your navigation nurse. They can help you...but you must be firm. Lack of sleep is ugh:(

Layers, AC, powder, and exercise help. They may give you something to help you sleep. Everything is better with a solid nights sleep!

Where are you receiving tx? Hope it is near your support ...family and friends.

Visit some of the other threads and update your profile so other warriors may come along side.

Sending cool sleepy thoughts and prayers your way...sandman to uvalde!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu

Bump

• DeliriumPie

Thank you for your kind words Cindy. I'm scheduled for surgery August 12th bright and early or dark and early actually lol. I have a slew of appts next week. Anxious to find out in weds if mo recommends more chemo. She had told me if I didn't have a complete response to the neo adjuvent treatment that I would have to have more. She said if there is anything left at all I will need it. I know from the radiology dr that it is now 7 mm. He thinks that is great because it has shrunk so much and said that it really can't get much smaller and that few people have a complete response. So I don't know how to feel about that and just have to wait to see what she says.

Lorianne: I have had and continue to have both insomnia and hot flashes though I was not on tamoxifen. I did find that the little gel bead ice packs provide temporary comfort at night. They have them at the pharmacy and Walmart in all shapes and sizes. I found some that are for elbow injuries at dollar tree. They have Velcro straps and I wrapped them on my wrists, put one behind my neck and anywhere else that was in fire. As for the insomnia, I started watching the liquidation channel at night. I like it because I can zone out and their voices kind of put me in a daze which makes on and off dozing easier. I caution that you lock your credit card away though because they do tend to suck you in after a while. Meds may be a better option though. I am considering it, but just hate so many pills.

Wishing everyone a nice cool weekend in Texas. Ha!

• jbdayton

DeleriumPie - hang in there things will fall into place.  Keep the faith for a good report. 

I too did neo adjuctive chemo for 6 rounds and my results turned out great.  I met with my BS last Thursday and she said my new mammo and ultrasound showed no tumor but there was still some blood flow in the tumor area but the chest wall appears to be activity free. 

Surgery scheduled for August 26. I could do a lumpectomy and radiation or a mastectomy with no radiation.  I did have several other calcifications deep against the chest wall in both breasts that did not get biopsied before chemo.  With my high grade and the calcs disappearing we decided on a bi-lateral mastectomy and no radiation but will delay reconstruction until after all pathology is in.  If the findings come back without perfect clear margins I will opt for radiation as security option.  Appointment with PS next Wednesday.

LoriAnne I hope your hot flashes are diminishing.  I remember how it was when I went through menopause.  Not fun, try Cindy's suggestions if your team agrees. 

Cindy did they say we could go through menopause symptoms again on HT?  I have not even discussed this or researched this step yet.  I sure wasn't planning on that.

I got my DD and hubby off to Baku on Friday.  So hard to say goodbye for 11 months until they return for 6 weeks next summer.  They were very pleased with their home when they got there.  Other employees had stocked their pantry and refrigerator with some essentials to last for a few days until they can figure out shopping etc.  They do seem super excited to begin their new journey though. 

I definitely will be staying busy for the next few weeks my house is a total disaster zone, boxes everywhere. My other DD and I will cull through them decide what anybody might want, store keepsakes and take the rest to charity.

Oh well, gotta run time for church.

Love and hugs to everyone. 

• mshelton
    mshelton Member Posts: 23

Just found this Texas forum.  I live in Austin, TX.  Had 3 small masses (2 IDC and 1 DCIS); thus BMX.   The surgeon attempted a Sentinel dissection but the dye was not taken up by my lymphatic system for some unknown reason.  Therefore the surgeon just picked 3 lymph nodes for testing (negative). Did not get a surgical clear margin (it was a close margin) and also had lymphovascular invasion in the breast tissue.    Now I'm going thru rads at Texas Oncology.  Have had 17 of 33 (5 will be boost to the scar tissue) and so far no major skin issues.  Fatigue is great tho. 

Cindy--I'm also going to explore an integrative approach.  After all I have a long term close friend who is very knowledgeable  and owns Oak Hills Healing Arts.  She has offered help but I havn't taken her up on it yet.  Writing this has inspired me to contact her next week for an appointment.

Loriann--I'm taking a small dose of Alprazolam (Xanax) at night which allows me to go to sleep.  Otherwise, can't turn my mind off long enough for sleep to occur no matter how fatigued I am.  After rads I'll  stop the Xanax.  If needed I might try  Ibuprofen PM or maybe the intergrative therapy I'm considering will have an answer.   

Jeannine-- sounds like you have your hands full.  I have been researching aromatase inhibitor therapy as that will be my next step.  There are many potential side effects like any medication, but some folks do not experience them. 

Future plans--check out all the state parks in texas and visit friends and relatives in colorado, texas and florida, etc using my little RV.  

Marlene

• rmlulu

Hi y'all

DeleriumPie - congrats on the shrinking a 7mm is great...maybe lx...we'll be in your pocket this week for all your appointments. Just reach in (((squeeze))) and 8/12 will be here soon. Have a great week plan some special me time...and lol!

Marlene - yippee 17/33 on rads...I was beaming on that countdown more behind ten ahead...I could see the end of the zaps :). Hydrate emu oil&2.5%hydrocortisone...mantra hydration really helped with the fatigue...you got this laser tag warrior...east meets west...increasing Qi my goal :). Let me know what you find in the area. Livestrong has Y program too.

LoriAnne - hope you had a good weekend:) SEs calm down with double whammy rad to exercise but moving helps AC lo ad layers and a sleep aid if you get too frazzle...sleep is so important :)

Jeannie - we'll be in your pocket Wednesday for PS may your results give you a strong confirmation on how best to say this beast...ugh c:(. Did you store up all the luv &laughter from that crowded house...soak it in:)

Just completed 2mos on Aromasin minimal to no SEs...but I'm active and good about pounding my bones as MO directed. A flash here and a few reminders of au natural menopause...but I'm bigger than that tiny white pill and now I know...what do they say...the devil you know v the devil you don't...gulp so far a non event.

TxAgSue - hang in there (((squeeze))) you're dong good warrior:) 1/2 done!

Carol - how was trip to CA?

Future plans, dreams ...yes I'm a wishing and a hoping to hit the beach and kayak late Sept! Yippee!

Don't SEs with TX warriors we kick####!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• Peachygirl
    Peachygirl Member Posts: 11

Hey there... I'm in dallas area... Just found out on July 26 I have dcis 2.5 cm on my right breast ...then a few weeks later MRI revealed I have another lump 1.5 cm and a line going through the same side and 4 lymph nodes lit up.... I will not know till the day of surgery what exactly is lurking in there...Because of my age (34) my breast surgeon is reccommending mastectomy... I've decided to do both sides if I have to do one...I'm just wondering if anyone in the dallas area has used dr Bryan Arjimo for reconstructive surgery?

• Peachygirl
    Peachygirl Member Posts: 11

Oops Armijo :)....