Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any Michigan Ladies?

IrishDancingMom
IrishDancingMom Member Posts: 4

Hi...

I'm newly diagnoised and would love to not only talk with all ladies going through our breast cancer journey together but especially Michigan ladies.

Kirsty

Comments

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited August 2013

What part of Michigan are you from?

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864
    edited August 2013

Hi Kirsty!

So sorry that you have recieved this diagnosis, but glad that you found us. This is a great place to learn and get support. I was diagnosed and treated through Troy Beaumont.

• Tennislady
    Tennislady Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013

Hi Kirsty,

I am a Michigan lady diagnosed in April. I am receiving treatment at the Josephine Ford Center Henry Ford Hospital and am so glad that I am close to good treatment. Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself.

There is a lot of good info and support at this sight which I'm sure you will find helpful as you go through this. The ladies are all there for one another. It has helped me tremendously.

• maureen1
    maureen1 Member Posts: 87
    edited August 2013

(((IrishDancingMom))) love your name:) so sorry you are facing this journey but you are not alone, there are alot of us here and in Michigan...are you newly diagnosed? There is such a wealth of information on these forums so if you have questions, need support, or just want to vent this is the place...(((Hugs))) Maureen (another Irish momSmile)

• Jalessi92
    Jalessi92 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013

Hi everyone! I am in Farmington Hills, diagnosed with IDC in Aug 2012, had surgery, completed dose dense AC chemo, taxol/abraxane and herceptin. Started tamoxifen in May 2013. Receiving tx at St Joseph Mercy Oakland in Pontiac.

• Dulcigirl
    edited August 2013

Hi, Jalessl92,

Glad you found us!

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2013

Hi, Im a Michiganander too !!! Just finished AC and started taxol......it sucks !!! Im treated through Beaumont and will have my surgery in Dec followed by radiation !!! I know most people don't think we had a good weather summer, but for me it's been perfect...not too hot :) I been able to do all I set out to do this summer......a high school graduation, graduation party, college orientation and moving my kid to the UP. Trying to live life !!!

• Dulcigirl
    edited August 2013

I have loved this summer's weather...with the exception of that one miserably hot week that happened to be my camping-in-a-tent vacation week!

Sounds like a busy tx schedule for you. Bleh!!!

• Tdickinson
    Tdickinson Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013

I am from Michigan also. Between Grand Rapids and Lansing in a small town. Diagnosed the end of June, have a BMX with TE scheduled for 9/11.

• Dulcigirl
    edited August 2013

Tdickinson,

I'm sorry you had to join us, but glad you found us! Have you also found a thread on the board for September Surgeries? I joined that thread for my month last fall and it was a HUGE support in planning, crying, whining, rejoicing, etc....and I now have a new smaller group of dear close friends that came from that thread. I doubt I would have made it through the year as well without them.

• Tdickinson
    Tdickinson Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013

Yes, I am listed on the September 2013 surgery page. Thanks. Just getting started out here with all the reading but it has been a lot of help!!

• denilynne
    denilynne Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2013

Hello, I was diagnosed the beginning of Aug 2013. I am getting treatment at the University of Michigan. Anyone else going there?

• Jo6202
    Jo6202 Member Posts: 165
    edited September 2013

Hi,

I met Kirsty on another forum page. I am originally from Lansing but have retired "up north" near Clare. I am having my treatments in Midland which is an hour drive for me. That is one draw back of moving to a rural area. Just had surgery on Friday and I am waiting for test results.

Jo

• klanders
    klanders Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2013

Hi Michiganders!

I live partway between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. Denilynne - I had my sentinel node biopsy at the University of Michigan. I almost had my bilateral mastectomy there but they said I was too thin for anything but implants. I wanted to have the DIEP surgery so I ended up having my mastectomy and reconstruction in New Orleans with Dr. Sullivan four months ago. I have an oncologist in Kalamazoo.

• Oh3girls
    Oh3girls Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013

Hi! I am in Spring Lake and am being treated the the Lemmon Holten cancer pavilion at Spectrum in GR. I got my biopsy results for IDC the Friday before Memorial Day and started chemo (TCH) June 4. (they weren't messing around!!) had my 5th of 6 last week and am so ready to be done with chemo. 😒 Have a mastectomy scheduled Oct. 17 and then will do radiation. Looking forward to school starting this week. A quiet house will be blissful!!

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited September 2013

Oh3girls - we are practically neighbors. I just sent you a pm about a support group! I am a Lemmon-Holton girl as well.

• surlytits
    surlytits Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013

Hello! Michigan gal here. I live in Lansing, and am getting my care at University of Michigan. At least, I did chemo and surgery there, and my oncologist who has been fantastic through this journey. Radiation has been at Sparrow because the commute to U of M everyday would have been exhausting. And expensive. I am two treatments away from the end of radiation, and I can't be done fast enough. The first few weeks were smooth, but my skin has been struggling through these boosters. I have my follow up testing in two weeks, a bone scan an CT to check on these spots in my lungs and see if I'm in the clear or not.

I lost my cancer buddy last month, and its been pretty rough since then. I'm trying to stay positive about it all, and I'm doing okay at that. But its been particularly hard these past few days- wanting to quit radiation because I've been in so much pain, and I wanted to call my friend and she'd always have something comforting to say, and we'd tell stupid jokes about cancer, and I really miss that a lot.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2013

MI gal here in the middle of this beautiful state. Have loved the summer weather except for that horrible week of 90 degrees. Looking forward to fall, my favorite season.

I will be 5 years out in two months.......

Nice to "meet" everyone!

• cher1
    cher1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013

Hello Everyone.  Gal in Kalamazoo here.  I was diagnosed last Spring with DCIS/microinvasive.  I guess I was lucky, if you can imagine being lucky and having cancer.  My Gyn Dr found my very small cancer with a manual check.  I've had mamo redo's for several years and I finally told the Doc I wanted a more thorough check.  Mamo's only saw 'something' so it was written off as dense breast, which I have.  I don't know how my doc found it and neither do my Onco docs, but I am so grateful to him.  I go to SWMich Cancer Center in Kalamazoo.  I'm one year out after lumpectomy and 2nd for larger margins, then radiation.  Now I'm on the 5yr plan of Tamoxifen.  My sis is one year out after IDC triple Pos. and my cousin is 5 years out IDC Triple Neg.  Crazy family here.  Lots of breast cancer and other, in my Dad's family.  Ditto Valjean...nice to meet everyone.

• Jo6202
    Jo6202 Member Posts: 165
    edited September 2013

Michelle,

I grew up and raised my family in Lansing. We retired "up north" . Had one of my children at Sparrow and many grand kids were born there. Nice hospital and my SIL went there for her breast cancer treatments.

Sorry you have to go to U of M ( just kidding as my whole family are Spartan fans). There is a wonderful breast center at MSU 's medical center if you ever need a second opinion or a PET scan.

I will be starting radiation soon. I have to have a re-excision on Wed. because my margins were not clear after a lumpectomy. I travel an hour to Midland for all my appointments and my upcoming radiation. That is one of the downfalls of rural living. Four of our kids still live in the Lansing area. I retired from Holt schools ten years ago so going through this at 63 yrs. old.

Best of luck in your treatment. So sorry to hear about your friend. I have lost three friends to this disease but also have many friends who have survived including a SIL who is in her 13th year of survival and she was diagnosed as stage 4 .

• Macy
    Macy Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2013

Well, I'm a transplanted Michigander...yes, I actually moved here from somewhere else!

Someone asked if anyone is getting treatment at U of M...I am! I live in the UP and make the long drive down. I just had surgery (simple mastectomy) and will start chemo soon. 

Like someone else said, living rurally is tough. I'm having trouble finding a suitable place to do my treatment other than staying in Ann Arbor. 

My cancer is fairly advanced but it hasn't spread, thank goodness! I'm still deciding about chemo options. Very nervous about it all. 

• nancyhb
    nancyhb Member Posts: 235
    edited September 2013

Hi, neighbors!  I'm in Jackson; did all my treatment here (RO's office is an offshoot of UM).  I work in Lansing, though - just started a new job three weeks ago.  Loving the cooler temperatures of fall on its way!

Good luck and thoughts to you all!

• Infobabe
    Infobabe Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2013

Kirsty, welcome to the club no one wants to join.

We live in Delhi Twp., near Lansing. I had my lumpectomy at Sparrow. Just got the results from my third post treatment mammogram today and it is all clear. So the news isn't all bad. If I should have more trouble, I would go to Michigan in AA. We don't have a board certified breast surgeon here in town.

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299
    edited September 2013

Hi Michigan girls!!  I am in the chemo phase of my treatment but will embark on surgery ater the New Year.  I would appreciate any info on surgeons who have done well at mastecomties and/or plastice surgeons for reconstruction.  I live in the Lansing area!!  Any info is appreciated.  Laughing

• maureen1
    maureen1 Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2013

(((Girlstrong))) hang in there...chemo isn't easy but you will get thru it:) There are some really good surgeons in the Lansing area...I'll send you a PM with the names of those I know. Good luck, take care...(((Hugs))) Maureen

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited February 2014

hello ladies

I live in Michigan. I need a revision of my implants.  I had mx's 3 years apart 2010 and other side 2013. They don't match.  I have submitted to NOLA- but don't know if they will take my insurance.

In the meantime I would like another opinion from someone in Michigan?  Does anybody know a good PS?  Where they are happy with the results and maybe they have heard of someone that posted on the picture forum?

thanks in advance. 

• Dulcigirl
    edited February 2014

stix,

I love my PS. He is very experienced and very skilled. He's also funny and compassionate. His office is in Troy. Dr. Meininger. 

I'm Pamelita in the pic forum. 

• Stix
    edited February 2014

Did that doctor use alloderm...?  I have never heard of him...I will Google him.  Did you need nipple reconstruction?   Wondering your results along with tattoos?

• Dulcigirl
    edited February 2014

He did not use alloderm on me. I JUST got my nipples this morning. (Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow....etc. will keep me from my Nipple Day!!) Winking Now I wait for a few months and am hoping to see Vinnie for tattoos. 

I'm very pleased with my results. We chatted the whole time he was making my nipples and he said his favorite part of his job is when he gets to help 2nd opinion patients who were disappointed with previous results. 

Somerset Plastic Surgery in Troy. 

• Stix
    edited February 2014

Has anybody heard of doctor momoh  a plastic surgeon at the university of michigan?