Join Us

We are 224,476 members in 83 forums discussing 163,572 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: New York, NY doctors and hospitals

Forum: Member Matchup & Virtual Support Meetups —
A place for members, in similar geographic areas, to connect for support, local resources and referrals as well a place to meet up within the community virtually.

Posted on: Sep 7, 2020 09:48AM

nyperr wrote:

I am a breast cancer survivor of 19 years. I had a lumpectomy, radiation and chemo. I have just been diagnosed with cancer on both sides and am awaiting results from an MRI guided biopsy. I'm terrified that I may have to consider a mastectomy. I live in New York City where there are excellent hospitals but a cousin recommends going to Dana Farber in Boston. She strongly feels, having had breast cancer twice, that they offer less aggressive treatment options than the NYC hospitals and are better at breast conservation. I know that Sloan Kettering is considered to have more aggressive treatment. What are the reputations of Columbia Presbyterian and Weill Cornell.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 7, 2020 12:59PM KathyL624 wrote:

I am very happy with my care at Sloane Kettering and did not feel pressured to do a mastectomy at all

Dx IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 7, 2020 03:23PM abigailj wrote:

I was very happy my doctors at Weil Cornell- Dr Rache Simmons (breast surgeon) gave me full choice of options although Ipersonally chose the more aggressive surgery (skin/nipple sparing BMX) and Dr Otterburn did my immediate DIEP reconstruction - despite a few wound healing complications (I’m 63, ex-smoker) things are coming along very well now and I’m very pleased with both these doctors and their PAs.

Dx 1/2020, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IB, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2020 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap, SIEA flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap, SIEA flap

Oct 15, 2020 05:44PM cake8icing wrote:

I was treated by Dr. Melissa Pilewskie at Memorial Sloan Kettering. I did not feel pressured at all. Options were laid out for me to make my own decision.

Dx 2/14/2020, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 3/19/2020 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left

Mar 28, 2021 10:05PM ltrinidad wrote:

Hi, I am also in New York City. Awaiting my biopsy results (Bi Rads 5), so far at NY Langone. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. We were supposed to be moving to New Jersey (across the river, in North Bergen) on April 15 but now I am afraid of moving away from Langone/Manhattan.

Also, are there any support groups in NY? I would love to connect with others in the city.

Thank you,

Laura

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)