We are 222,154 members in 81 forums discussing 156,588 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Ideas for names for new Bunny

Forum: Your Furry Friends —

Share pictures and stories of the four-legged friends who make your day-to-day lives better!

Posted on: Aug 22, 2017 12:09PM

Kicks wrote:

Sat night I got a new/another Mini Rex buck at the Fair. I haven't come up with a name for him yet so ideas would be appreciated.

He's a broken tortoise (tortoise but with white), 2 mth old, likes to be held and petted (already had a bunny before that was named Snuggle Bunny so not an option). He will stay smallish (just a bit bigger than a large Guinea Pig). He weights 1 lb 10 oz now but should get to 3 - 3.5 lbs. So far I've only let him hop around in the yard with his harness on - not really started leash training yet - just getting used to the feeling of a harness and leash before we start working on going where I say he goes when we go for walks.

Bugs, Buggsy or BuggsaMus aren't options either as my 4 y/o broken black Mini Rex spoiled brat goes by those names.

So any thoughts on a name?

(Oh, for those who don't know what a Rex or Mini Rex is. In the 1880, in France, a mutation of coat was found. No guard hair, and super soft coat like velvet. It became the Rex rabbit that is bred for it's coat/pelt. Most rabbits have 12 - 15 hair per follicle - Rex have 40 - 60 hair per folicle. The Mini Rex have been breed down sizewise since in the late 1980's with emphasis on attitude as pets. Buggy's is my first Mini Rex (had Holland Lops for many years as my pet bunny.) My experience with Buggsy was that the Mini Rex is more 'people friendly' and so far 'new guy' seems to be also.)

(Google 'Rabbit Agility' to see what rabbits can do.)

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/25/2009 AC Surgery 10/21/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/11/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/4/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Aug 22, 2017 03:46PM MTwoman wrote:

Oh Kicks! I don't have a name for you (will post if I think of something clever) but I googled 'rabbit agility' and was soundly rewarded. Some of the bunnies needed prodding, and some just raced through the course! how fun, never knew bunnies competed in agility. that's my 'thing' I learned today. Thanks!

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Aug 22, 2017 04:56PM pingpong1953 wrote:

The coat sounds like the Cornish Rex cat!

Dx 4/12/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/2/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/5/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/27/2018 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right

Aug 22, 2017 05:26PM Kicks wrote:

Yeah - some bunnies do need 'encouragement' but I've also seem dogs that needed 'encouragement' on an agility course. also. But then after all, they are rabbits and most think a rabbit can 't do anything. Neither of my bunny guys are candidates (from all I've read) for Rabbit Agility as the jumps are not set for their size bit by age. In other words, the bigger rabbit you have, the better chance they have. But that's fine - my guys are just my little guys to sit with me and be loved and pampered brats.

I've never done dog agility but did a fair bit of Obedience.getting several their CD, CDX and UD years ago.

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/25/2009 AC Surgery 10/21/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/11/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/4/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 22, 2017 07:26PM Kicks wrote:

I had never heard of a Cornish Rex cat. So I looked it up. None of the pictures showed a somewhat similar coat to a Mini Rex or Rex rabbit. Their coats looked 'scruffy' compared to a Rex coat. Rex rabbits are bred for their coat/pelt. It is super soft and dense anx not short. Rex are medium size/weight rabbits (Mini Rex smaller) so are not bred for food (though they can be eaten when pelts are taken) commercially as the larger breeds are.

From what I read, Cornish Rex cats all trace back to one litter in the 1950's. Rex rabbits were first found in an area of France - not one litter - in the 1880's. I have a had a Persian and 3 Himalayans which I loved but am not really a 'cat person'.

For those who might be worried, my 2 Guys are just spoiled brats! But the 'new guy' needs a name.

Aug 22, 2017 08:25PM Jackster51 wrote:

Harry?

Aug 22, 2017 11:54PM - edited Aug 23, 2017 02:05AM by Freya

Binky, Chewy, Rascal, Sparky, Bouncer, Petie, Scamper, Thumper, Wiggles, Tibbar (rabbit backwards), Rex, Cottontail, Spicy, Jinxy, Hoppy, Frisky, Digger, Buddy, Eclipse, Reuben, Bun Jovi.

That me done ;) We love rabbits! Now I want a mini rex, and since today is my birthday, you never know Winking

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 29, 2017 03:32PM Kicks wrote:

Well - Lil Guy has a name finally - Foo Bunny. It's sort of a combined of what I was looking up last night (and a bit strange).

There is a Campfire song used for many years by Boy and Girl Scouts that is 'Little Bunny Foo Foo'. That's a little long to say to him all the time and to me 'Foo Foo' sounds like a little girl dog. Then I thought about the 'Foo Fighters' (strange bright lights that 'flew' with planes that were seen by Allied pilots over the Rhine in 1944. So I sort of combined into Foo Bunny. He will never be "running through the forest, picking up field nice, bonking them on the head" as the song goes nor is he lights flying along with plane years ago. But he is my 'Lil Guy' and he is a bunny so "Foo (or Foo Foo) sort of fits. Also being a bunny, and the Foo Fighters of WWII did nothing to harm anyone, the 2 are sort of 'muddled' into Foo Bunny for him. Never heard of another Foo Bunny

Hope that makes sense when written. Sometimes words don't always.

Aug 30, 2017 02:05AM Freya wrote:

Well hello Foo Bunny! I was going to ask if you had found a name yet. Very cute.

Dx 2009, ILC/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 14/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)