Topic: Pregnancy after cancer?

Forum: Family and Family Planning Matters — A comforting place to discuss planning a family, fertility concerns, parenting children, or relationship issues with partners, siblings, or parents following a diagnosis.

Posted on: Jul 28, 2017 11:34AM

Posted on: Jul 28, 2017 11:34AM

Nursie wrote:

anyone?

I am 40 and finished my treatment for stage 3 breast cancer two years ago. My onco has given me the go ahead to continue with my life plan of having another baby. We are seeing fertility doc next week to discuss our options.

Has anyone else went on to have kids after? Please share!

Page 3 of 4 (35 results)

Aug 1, 2019 11:41PM wc3 wrote:

Well my insurance didn't cover IVF/embryo preservation, my cancer was ER positive and it would have taken me more months than I had to get the money and do the treatment.

It's frustrating to me that fertility preservation is not covered by insurance and it depresses me that I will never have a family so I try not to think about it. Breast cancer has made me regret not getting knocked up as a teenager.

People mention adoption and I am not opposed to that but I watched my aunt and uncle go through the process of adopting and it took 8 years and thousands of dollars and I will be nearing 50 in 8 years if I'm still around then, which I think would be a little too old for me to care for a baby.

This issue is one of the major reasons I feel out of place in breast cancer support groups IRL. Most of the women in those groups are either mothers or on their way to being mothers and it is a focal point of their lives, and I'm fine with that but it tends to exclude me from the conversation.

Pathologic complete response (pCR) to chemotherapy. Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant

Aug 19, 2019 10:42AM - edited Aug 19, 2019 10:44AM by elfmcg

Hi everyone,

I'm nearly two years on since finishing chemo and a year since the end of herceptin.

It's great to read about everyone's experience with fertility after treatment. I've just turned 38, and have no children. I would really like to try for a baby. I didn't have any egg freezing or anything and for me, i'd be of the mind that if it happens naturally, great, if not, if wasn't to be.

i'm constantly back and forth with moving forward and living my life as i want to, and back to 'oh what if' and should i just accept my lot and forget about my dreams of a child or any major commitments incase something bad happens. I know that no one hasa magic crystal ball, and anything can happen, but i'm just scared.

I have spoken to my GP, and she is very pro me trying, but my oncologist isn't the most approachable and i generally leave his office more scared than when i went in. I'm in a country where have a great public health system, we don't have a choice of oncologist, so i'm not sure if i want a meeting with him to be honest.

My cancer was her2 + and hr negative, decisions, decisions. I'm not sure what my question is, just sharing, as i'm sure there are others in this predicament.

lots of love and hope to all

Dx 6/16/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, IHC Surgery 6/25/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 8/20/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 10/15/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy Breast

Aug 19, 2019 07:51PM raleighgirl wrote:

elfmcg,

I was also Her2+, hormone negative. I was diagnosed in December of 2014 when I was 37. I had a seven month old and 19 month old at the time and we were on the verge of trying for a third. Since I was stage 3, I did not do fertility preservation as I wanted to get started on chemo right away. Fortunately, I ended up having a complete response to chemo.

In February 2018 I saw a fertility doctor to talk about my options. He told me he did not believe that my specific regimen(TCHP) would be a problem with my fertility, more so my age! He told me to try naturally first, and then we would move on to Clomid. Well, we got pregnant right away. I had my baby on Thanksgiving Day last year at age 41.

Dx 12/23/2014, IDC, 4cm, Grade 3, ER-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 1/14/2015 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/14/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Aug 20, 2019 03:48AM elfmcg wrote:

Hi raleighgirl,

that’s brilliant news. Very uplifting to hear, congratulations!!!! So happy for you.

My periods came back straight away and are regular enough, so hopefully i would have some hope too. My heart is definitely saying yes, to try!!!

X

Dx 6/16/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, IHC Surgery 6/25/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 8/20/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 10/15/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy Breast

Dec 12, 2019 09:32AM Zar wrote:

Hi I had stage 2 oestrogen positive breast cancer which has been successfully removed through surgery and the next stage is tramoxiphin and radiotherapy, however I have recently found out I am 5 weeks pregnant. I haven’t started the tablets yet but want to know if anyone else was or is in this situation who has had successful pregnancies as my fear is that the cancer will come back and I really want the baby

Dec 12, 2019 11:12AM moderators wrote:

Dear Zar,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are so sorry that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer and you are newly pregnant. This particular thread has not seen activity since August. You can use the search function in the tool bar and type in the words. "pregnancy and breast cancer". Be sure to use quotes. You will find other members who have been diagnosed with breast cancer while pregnant. Perhaps you can reach out to them via private message. In the meantime we encourage you to contact your oncologist to discuss your treatment options in view of your new pregnancy. Please keep us posted and let us know how we can continue to be of help.

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Dec 19, 2019 01:35AM Aseye wrote:

Hi everyone I'm stage 3 with 20 lymph nodes involvement I don't have children I'm yet to do radiotherapy but children are on my mind in future. I will be happy to hear of successful pregancies with lots of lymph nodes. My details are below

Dx 4/12/2019, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 20/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-,

Feb 4, 2020 09:11PM Allala23 wrote:

this is so wonderful. I’m HER2+ stage 2A and just finishing taxol, may have to go on to AC. Also on HP.

I was diagnosed at 8 months pregnant and the thought of not being able to give my 3 month old baby boy a sibling hurts my heart. I’m open to adoption but because my first pregnancy was not “normal” and I could only BF for 3 weeks, I really want to have the experience again.

We’re you on Zoladex or any other protection meds during TCHP?

Feb 4, 2020 10:19PM godisone wrote:

one of my cancer patient friend is trying for pregnancy and have lost a few chances already. This time the doctor has asked for IVF as the only plan, one cycle gone with no results. Now, they are going for other another round. I would keep you posted if there is any positive news.

Feb 5, 2020 04:32AM elfmcg wrote:

Hi @Allala23

I’m currently 20 weeks pregnant, so far no problems whatsoever *touch wood*

I wasn’t on any protection meds during chemo or herceptin and got pregnant on our first try, so it’s definitely possible.

Well done on getting through all of that at eight months pregnant, and here’s to huge sprinklings of baby dust in the future.

Love & prayers to you xxx

Page 3 of 4 (35 results)

Scroll to top button