We are 214,045 members in 82 forums discussing 152,596 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Birthday gift for mom in recovery

Forum: Family and Family Planning Matters —

A comforting place to discuss planning a family, fertility concerns, parenting children, or relationship issues with partners, siblings, or parents following a diagnosis.

Posted on: Jul 31, 2018 05:06PM

BCdaughter25 wrote:

Hello all, I’ve been on this site for a while since my moms diagnosis and it’s been very helpful. I hope everyone is doing well. My mother just had a mastectomy on July 23rd and her birthday is Comig up on August 2nd. She’s recovering and im not sure what to get her. Clothes are harder to pick out now. Flowers? Please send some suggestions some suggestions

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jul 31, 2018 05:12PM farmerlucy wrote:

These are some things I appreciated.

Backscratcher

Grabber

A lighter weight vacuum.

A pedicure

A home delivered sushi meal.

A movie date to an action movie. It was the first time I was able to think about something other than BC.

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/21/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/11/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/22/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/14/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Jul 31, 2018 06:27PM oxygen18 wrote:

A fluffy scarf in colors that she likes and look good on her.

Aug 1, 2018 02:57AM JuicyFruit wrote:

A small, soft, colourful, oblong pillow (16x10” or 15x8” roughly) that she can use in bed to help keep her on her side, or use at her back when sitting in a chair or in a car. Make sure it can be thrown in the washer

A “bed-coat” (short, soft jacket) to wear in bed or sitting in a chair if a little chilly. Usually available at hospital gift stores. Might not be needed much in August but would be cosy in the fall.

And, I second the ideas of the grabber (available at home health stores), and the lightweight, cordless hand vacuum.

Dx 3/2016, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 5/9/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Dx 11/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Dx 1/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Aug 1, 2018 10:35AM MuddlingThrough wrote:

Does she love to read? If so, a new kindle (or other reader) and a gift card to buy books. I had an old kindle but received a new one (Paperwhite) for my birthday this spring and I love it so much.

My son lives far away but he has sent me Netflix gift cards, restaurant cards (I seldom go in to avoid crowds but take out has been great), Amazon cards, etc.

Does she watch the birds at her home? I love the hummingbird circus we have and a new feeder would be a great gift if so. (Get one that is easy to fill and easy to clean.)

If her treatments cause hair loss, the soft cotton caps are so comfy and not too hot!

Dx 1/4/2018, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 3/28/2018 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 3/28/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Aug 1, 2018 10:58AM Lula73 wrote:

I second the kindle/nook with gift card idea if she likes to read. A Roku if she likes to watch movies so she can binge watch tens of thousands of movies/shows free. Pedicure and/or facial would be good too...if she does the pedicure soon after surgery no leg massage.

-Lula Dx 1/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/3/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/1/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 1/3/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 1, 2018 11:59AM BCdaughter25 wrote:

thanks so much for all of the suggestions!!!

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)