Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not Waiting 2 Years?

Options
Hintonn
Hintonn Member Posts: 1

February of 2019 at 29 years old, I went to my doctor to remove my IUD and start trying to have a baby. Instead of the green light to my journey of procreation, I was scheduled for ultrasound, then mamo, than biopsy, mastectomy, chemo, radiation, 5-10 of hormone therapy .... Long story short I am 10 months in to ovary suppression (lupron) and aromatase inhibitors (arimidex) and the thought of waiting another year truly breaks my heart. Has anyone else gone through this, or thinking about going through this? I am feeling pretty alone since all of the bc survivors I know were postmenopausal. I have been looking at studies like the POSITIVE study, and it seems like there is research currently being done, but we have no answers yet.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,903
    edited August 2020
    Options

Dear Hintonn,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for what brings you here but so glad that you reached out to our members. We are sure tat there are other members who share similar experiences here on the boards. Sometimes it takes a bit of searching to connect with those people. Here are a few suggestions. First here is a link to a podcast about Ovarian Suppression and Pregnancy and others about Fertility and Pregnancy. You also might want to check out the forum for those who are young with breast cancer of the hormonal therapy forum. They are a few ideas to further your navigation and to find others who will best understand your situation. You can use the search function in the tool bar as well and type in words such as "ovarian suppression and pregnancy" or what means the most to you. Be sure to use quotes. It will lead you to other posts that contain those words. It is not perfect but may help you to connect with other members. Keep us posted on how we can be of help.

The Mods

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi Hintonn,

I haven't dealt with that specifically but I have done a lot of thinking about my own fertility.

I'm sorry that your path to motherhood has been interrupted by this stress and that you're having to deal with it so young. It makes sense that it would feel heartbreaking.

FWIW, I'd strongly encourage you to stick it through. Here's some rationalizations in case they're helpful for you. At your age, waiting a couple of yours doesn't have a big impact on fertility. On the other hand, once you have children, dying prematurely makes a huge impact on them. One of the key parts of being a parent is making decisions with the best interests of your children in mind. Having their momma around for a good long time is definitely in their best interests. As someone who lost a mother to breast cancer, I'll say that if she had had the option of waiting a couple of years to have us and in exchange, get to live to see us grow into adults ourselves, that would have been so much better for all of us, no less her. You have this chance. In a way, you would actually be beginning to parent by making that choice, even if it means it takes longer to meet the children you will be parenting.

Sending you all good vibes! Heart

• julia92
    julia92 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi Hintonn,

I know this is an old post but on the off chance that you still check this forum - would you update as to what you've decided to do?

I am also 29, just got diagnosed with breast cancer, waiting for a full pathology report and surgery right now so I'm not sure yet what my treatment will look like. I am getting married this summer and we were going to try to conceive basically now... so I am feeling your pain, and waiting sounds horrible. Even having to go through IVF before potential chemo sounds scary given 3 weeks ago everything was 'fine' with my fertility. I'm reading studies and trying to educate myself as much as possible before we have to make a decision, but I am reading about several women on here who chose to postpone hormonal therapy until after they have a baby!

I'd love to connect if you'd like - finding young women who are struggling with this is hard!

I hope you're doing amazing!

Julia