Join Us

We are 223,937 members in 83 forums discussing 163,292 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: The Dreaded Lymph Node Question.....

Forum: Caring for Someone with Breast cancer —

A place to share your struggles and concerns about supporting and caring for a person you love diagnosed with breast cancer with others who understand.

Posted on: Oct 22, 2015 10:11AM

MelanieBC wrote:

Rant On

I am really starting to hate this question... "Did it spread to the lymph nodes" and when you say yes, you get this look of fear from the person who asked.

I know that when cancer spreads to the lymph nodes, it isn't a good thing. I also know that with my moms surgery, the surgeon got all of the cancer out, I also know that if you have no lymph nodes then the cancer would spread throughout your body and you would be in a worse situation.

So I wish that people wouldn't ask this question because it makes me feel like they believe it is a death sentence, when I firmly believe it isn't.

Rant Off

Caregiver to my Mother who was diagnosed on August 27, 2015. Together, we will fight the battle against Breast Cancer! Dx 8/27/2015, ILC/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 22/33 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/11/2015 Chemotherapy 11/6/2015 Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 4/1/2016 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Oct 22, 2015 11:32PM - edited Oct 23, 2015 08:57AM by art15

This Post was deleted by art15.

Oct 23, 2015 12:03AM Holeinone wrote:

Melanie,

It's tough, because most people do not understand the difference between DCIS & stage 3.

I was dx 2 yrs. 3months ago. The reaction from friends, family, casual acquaintances has been surprising, odd. I have gotten the look, " you are going to die" many times. Also, the "no biggie" attitude from folks.

I am very aware that my prognois is "uncertain". Makes living in the moment more difficult, but also makes me appreciate the good days. I think being aware of our mortality is important. Helps to remind us to live more fully. You are a thoughtful daughter to be by your moms side

Spinal mets Surgery 7/21/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 8/21/2013 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 12/22/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 3/3/2016, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, Grade 2, 6/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)