Join Us

We are 223,937 members in 83 forums discussing 163,292 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Help with Chemo

Forum: Caring for Someone with Breast cancer —

A place to share your struggles and concerns about supporting and caring for a person you love diagnosed with breast cancer with others who understand.

Posted on: Dec 4, 2015 10:46PM

smkmrn wrote:

Hi everyone,

My mom has just started chemotherapy. She had her 1st session 2 days ago. So far, the only symptoms have been nausea, loss of appetite and constipation. According to the doctor and nurses, the main symptoms will start tomorrow. I know the type and severity of symptoms are different in each person and depend on the drugs, but do you have any general tips for me to help my mom? She is not exactly the most optimistic person in the world and this cancer and now chemo side effects are really getting to her. I know it's going to get worse from now on, at least for a while. What can I do to make it a little better?

Thank you in advance

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Dec 5, 2015 12:03AM Holeinone wrote:

hello, smrkn,

My suggestion would be, take a 1/2 dose of a laxative daily. Have a fresh bottle of water by the bed, always. I needed a mouth freshener, from dry mouth desperately. Biotene has great products.

Chemo is not easy, discuss the reality that it will be 6 months, ( at minimum) before you feel at all normal. Different chemos, different reactions. I had A/C, aka the "red devil". Lots of the ladies here breeze through it. Not me, I thought it was legal torture. Taxol was much easier, for me.

Chemo is acummaltive, the end is much more difficult than the beginning. I had 8 infusions, 7 Nuelasta shots. After chemo was completed, my energy was gone. BUT many ladies on this website, worked all through chemo & radiation. They took care of there families. We all have different experiences, and emotionally it's a roller coaster.

I tried my hardest to be "up & optimistic" because my 2 adult kiddos were shell shocked, especially my son. Another aspect of going through treatment that is unexpected. One day at a time.

Spinal mets Surgery 7/21/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 8/21/2013 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 12/22/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 3/3/2016, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, Grade 2, 6/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 5, 2015 01:36AM ElaineTherese wrote:

Is your Mom retired? If so, she can just focus on resting and recovering before the next chemo blast. In the meantime, if she can count on you (and others) to help with the day-to-day stress of living (dishes, cleaning the house, raking the leaves, etc.), she can just focus on recovery. I was lucky and had a good support system; it made focusing on chemo recovery much easier.

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/22/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/16/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/16/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/16/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/11/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/24/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/8/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)