We are 196,386 members in 81 forums discussing 144,722 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: For Caregivers, Family, Friends and Supporters → Topic: Wife has single cluster or microcalcifications. Worried sick :(

Topic: Wife has single cluster or microcalcifications. Worried sick :(

Forum: For Caregivers, Family, Friends and Supporters —

A place to share your struggles and concerns about supporting and caring for a person you love diagnosed with breast cancer with others who understand.

Posted on: Aug 1, 2017 11:09AM

ConcernedHubbers wrote:

Hi all. This is my first post here. Yesterday, my wife received word that there was a .8cm cluster of calcifications in he breast. We managed to get a more detailed MRI the same day and they said they want to do a biopsy. The biopsy isn't until the Thursday after next (Aug 10th).

My wife has a family history. Both her mother and her grandmother had cancer. Her mother beat it twice.

I know there's a good chance it's b9, but the anxiety is gut-wrenching. I'm researching obsessively, which is not helpful. I'm already mentally in the future imagining her passing away. I'm trying desperately to stay in the present and not catastrophize. Any significant others relate?

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Aug 1, 2017 01:08PM Moderators wrote:

Dear ConcernedHubbers,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry that these changes in your wife's breast have brought you here but glad that you reached out. While you have posted in the right forum for those who are caregivers, the fact that your wife doesn't have a breast cancer diagnosis yet leads us to suggest that you might be better posting in the Not Diagnosed but Worried Forum. Your concerns seems better suited there and more likely to receive a response. Let us know if you need any help or if you want us to move this for you. The MOds

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Aug 1, 2017 02:22PM Lula73 wrote:

The good news is calcifications are usually considered pre-cancer. Lumpectomy and more frequent mammos are usually the treatment of choice possibly in combination with anti-hormonal therapy. Either way the biopsy goes, genetic testing should be seriously considered especially with the family history (and should be covered by insurance). Taking care of things prophylactically (anti-hormone therapy or even mastectomy)may be an option to put on the table if it comes back positive.

The biopsy will definitely tell you more...they will need to make sure there isn't any small cancer hiding in the calcifications. MRIs are more sensitive too and so it's a good thing her doctors have chosen to go down this path. The other piece of good news is that if the biopsy comes back positive for cancer it will likely be early stage which has typically better outcomes. I hope all goes well with the biopsy and the pathology. We are here if you or your wife need us after...

-Lula Dx 1/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/4/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 1, 2017 03:56PM MelissaDallas wrote:

Actually, most of us develop calcifications in our breasts as we age. It is only when they form specific patterns that they MAY indicate underlying breast disease. Calcifications themselves are not benign or not benign (or pre-cancer). It is the surrounding tissue that is the concern. Most biopsies come back benign, It is way too early in the process to be worried sick.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Aug 1, 2017 04:42PM MTwoman wrote:

So sorry you are here worried about your wife's breast health. I agree with MelissaDallas, there are patterns of calcifications that are more typically "normal" or malignant, but the biopsy will give the definitive answer as to what is going on. 70-80% of biopsies end up with b9 results, so this is too early to "imagining her passing away". Try your best to take this one step at a time. I do know that is made more difficult by the family history, and Lula is right, getting genetic testing may help better understand your wife's personal risk for bc. Good luck for b9 findings!

Dx 12/10/2002, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2002 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 12/23/2003 Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Surgery Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Aug 1, 2017 07:26PM MelissaDallas wrote:

The original poster said his wife's mother and grandmother had cancer. He didn't specify at what ages or what kinds of cancer. not much information to be recommending genetic testing for

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Aug 1, 2017 10:49PM ConcernedHubbers wrote:

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I thought this was for family of people at any point in the process.

Thanks for the feedback and support, everyone. My wife has a very strong family history and just did her genetic testing today. The shape of the microcalcifications is a .8mm cluster, which we were told is suspicious enough for a biopsy. Birad-4.

Aug 2, 2017 05:18AM Shellsatthebeach wrote:

I had a biopsy due to microcalcification many years ago. Two doctors looked at it and said they didn't like the way it looked. Darn scared the heck out of me. Ended up being fine. They were most likely due to breastfeeding in the past.

Dx 3/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+, HER2- Surgery 8/28/2017 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 6/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 9/24/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 10/17/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)