We are 194,806 members in 81 forums discussing 144,032 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: For Caregivers, Family, Friends and Supporters → Topic: Supporting someone through a mastectomy/reconstruction

Topic: Supporting someone through a mastectomy/reconstruction

Forum: For Caregivers, Family, Friends and Supporters —

A place to share your struggles and concerns about supporting and caring for a person you love diagnosed with breast cancer with others who understand.

Posted on: Oct 10, 2017 10:38AM

ekb88 wrote:

My sister is getting a mastectomy this week. I will be her primary support person through the immediate hospitalization. I live a few hours away and have small kids, so I'm only able to be with her for a few days at a time. It's just one side, and she's dealing with early stage disease, so she won't need chemo afterwards. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me, or perhaps helpful resources to point me towards for understanding what kind of physical support she may need. She lives alone, no kids, and I'll be her primary support as well as some friends we're rallying up to help.

Dx 7/2017, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, ER+/PR+ Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Oct 10, 2017 03:54PM - edited Oct 10, 2017 03:55PM by Meow13

For me there was very little pain, the toll was emotional. I wanted to be whole again, go to the beach wear a bathing suit swim in the ocean. After my DIEP, I was was much happier. I would get overwhelmed at times because of the unknown I was facing. Catching it early doesn't mean you are cured the threat of recurrence is always there.

DCIS diagnosis she may not be that worried. I had IDC and ILC.

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)