Join Us

We are 218,032 members in 84 forums discussing 160,858 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Just Found out my mom has Breast Cancer. Feeling sick inside.

Forum: Caring for Someone with Breast cancer —

A place to share your struggles and concerns about supporting and caring for a person you love diagnosed with breast cancer with others who understand.

Posted on: Nov 25, 2017 05:38PM

JennyDaughterofaFighter wrote:

I just found out over Thanksgiving my mother has Breast Cancer. My world will never be the same, I am ok one moment and the next completely devastated and cry so hard I almost can't even breathe.

Is anyone else here experiencing this? I also can not seem to eat. I love wine and I can not even drink one glass. I think this is because all we know is she has "Invasive Lobular Carcinoma", and that literally is all we know. No stage, not where it is, treatment plans, nothing. We find out more on Monday which I thought we were getting all the answers, but now I come to find out she is getting more tests. My mind and body is sick and numb with worry for my mother/best friend. I am here to send hugs to anyone going through this and also I welcome any support from anyone who has been through this experience. Prayers for all of us.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Nov 25, 2017 05:43PM - edited Nov 25, 2017 06:12PM by Georgia1

So sorry Jenny. We have all been through this and it is rough. If your mom has an ILC diagnosis, then there should be a biopsy report somewhere that you can encourage her to request. It will have most of the information you are looking for, including stage and location. Does she live close to you? If possible maybe you could try to go with her to the tests on Monday. Your mom may be overwhelmed and you could be a good advocate for her.

But mostly, do accept our love and support. We are here for you.

Cancer touched my breast so I kicked its ass. Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Surgery 10/10/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/27/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 25, 2017 06:00PM JennyDaughterofaFighter wrote:

I asked her about the stage she said she didn't know yet, and all we know is it a quarter of an inch and it did not show up last year, which they say is really good. But it's "invasive" so who knows how far that's gone thats the part that turns my stomach,

I live 4 hours away and I am going home next week for two weeks (or longer depending) so I am excited to get there to support her. The initial shock of all of this just has my whole body feeling numb & nauseous. I am going to try to go out with one of my friends tonight and laugh (my mom keeps telling me to go have fun) but I can't seem to eat much. ugh. I am trying.

Thank you so much for your love and support. I am also here to support everyone as much as I can even though my knowledge base is quite light at the moment, but I give good hugs... big hug to you!

Nov 25, 2017 07:19PM Icietla wrote:

Jenny, I am so sorry for what you and your Mom are going through. A breast cancer diagnosis is always stunning, devastating to the person diagnosed and those who love them.

At this stage -- around the times of diagnosis; waiting for tests/ procedures; and waiting for any test results -- the sense that time is dragging is a universal part of the breast cancer experience, I believe. All the waiting and wondering times will be anxious and will feel like very long times.

Your Mom is very blessed to have you.

My latest (Stage IVB) diagnosis is almost certainly of another distant primary type. To the best of my information and belief, I am still apparently what we call NED as to breast cancer, doubtless thanks to Letrozole. Dx 2/12/2016, ILC, Right, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/19/2016 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2016 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/25/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 8/2018, Stage IV

Nov 26, 2017 02:07PM - edited Nov 26, 2017 07:15PM by Denise-G

Jenny - so sorry about your mom. THE WORST time of breast cancer is before a plan is in place and before you know facts.

Make sure your mom takes someone with her to her medical appointments with a pad and paper. It is so helpful to have someone

write things down. Also, good to have those questions in black and white because your brain goes into numb mode in those

first appointments.

You all can and will get through this. But that doesn't mean it isn't really, really tough. Myself, my mom, and my sister were all diagnosed

with breast cancer within 3 years. We understand your pain. Sending a hug and prayers!

www.denise4health.wordpress.com my BC Blog with over 200 informative posts about all aspects of BC - stop by! Myself, my mom, and sister were all diagnosed with BC within 3 years. What a ride! Dx 10/10/2011, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 11/22/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 12/26/2011 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 2/27/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 10/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 26, 2017 02:57PM mustlovepoodles wrote:

I second Denise's advise. You all are in the worst place right now--you have a little bit of information, enough to scare the snot out of you, but no clear plan. Once they get the tumor out, examine it, and stage it, you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

I'm the meantime, try to distract yourself by keeping your hands busy. Busy hands equal busy mind. Remember that the majority of breast cancers are found at early stages, which have good prognoses. There is a LOT of treatment available. And while it is true that women sometimes die from BC, the vaaaaast majority do not.

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/3/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/4/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/19/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)