Join Us

We are 218,193 members in 84 forums discussing 160,935 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: My wife just diagnosed with IDC

Forum: Caring for Someone with Breast cancer —

A place to share your struggles and concerns about supporting and caring for a person you love diagnosed with breast cancer with others who understand.

Posted on: Feb 26, 2018 01:44PM

KelAppNic wrote:

Just wanted to get on here as my wife was just diagnosed today. The spot is very small and from what I have read it seems like this (the most common form of breast cancer) is usually successfully solved with surgery and then problem solved? Is that correct or should I be ultra worried?

Also, just a brief rant to say that we are a happily married lesbian couple and I was a little resentful that all the Google search results of "My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer" were all super heteronormative. (Stepping down off my soapbox now...)

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Feb 26, 2018 01:52PM OCDAmy wrote:

So sorry about your wife's diagnosis. There are many components to determining what treatment will be. I assume she had a biopsy? Do you have that report and can post the information? The women on this site are really knowledgeable and I am sure will chime in, but will want to know more I am sure. Most women who have a lumpectomy have to get radiation as well.

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/15/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy Whole-breast

Feb 26, 2018 02:04PM KelAppNic wrote:

Thanks. Yes, she had a biopsy. They want to do an ultrasound and possibly a second biopsy. This just happened today, but I'm sure that we can ask for a copy of the report.

Feb 26, 2018 02:36PM OCDAmy wrote:

You will want to know if the tumor is hormone receptor positive and/or HER 2 positive. You will want to know the grade of the tumor (how aggressive it is). This is done with numbers 1-3 (1 being the least aggressive). Some women who have hormone receptor positive cancer get an Oncotype test which helps to determine if chemo is warranted. There is a lot to take in but you will figure it all out. This is the worse part, not knowing the full picture or plan.

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/15/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy Whole-breast

Feb 26, 2018 07:04PM - edited Feb 26, 2018 07:04PM by Georgia1

Hi KelAppNic and welcome. Unfortunately no matter how small it will likely not be "surgery and then problem solved." There is possible radiation and/or chemo, and then possibly also taking a pill like Tamoxifen for a while. A lot depends on ER, PR and HER2 status, which should be in the biopsy report. Best wishes and let us know - we are standing by to help. In any event it is very manageable, really.

Cancer touched my breast so I kicked its ass. Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/9/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 11/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 26, 2018 07:32PM voraciousreader wrote:

sorry about your wife’s diagnosis. Please register at the NCCN’s website and read the professionals’ version of the breast cancer treatment guidelines. Also read the footnotes.

Regarding worrying in the future....please remember that for most of us, breast cancer will be a very treatable disease. For sure, for too many, it is a disease that will win despite the best care.

Once she has her final pathology report, following surgery, you will have a better idea of what you are dealing with. But, remember, with breast cancer, there will be many choices to make and there is no “right”answer. Everyone will make an informed decision about what treatment is best for them and then, you hope for the best. I am eight years away from my diagnosis and all is well. I wish both of you the best

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Feb 26, 2018 07:59PM hmiles88 wrote:

So sorry to hear about your wife. I was diagnosed with IDC almost a year ago and I am already cancer free. My best advice- make sure to explore all treatment options and what the long term effects are- only lumpectomy- if that means radiation too- what will that do to her body vs. masectomy and chemo- don't hesitate to consult different doctors for different ideas- when she finds "the one" she will know! Best of luck to you both.

Feb 27, 2018 06:47AM KelAppNic wrote:

Thank you. I'm happy to say that we recently moved to the Pittsburgh PA area, and the healthcare system here is pretty amazing, so we've got that going for us.

Feb 27, 2018 06:48AM - edited Feb 27, 2018 06:50AM by KelAppNic

@OCDAmy Thank you so much for your input. I'm sure that we will both be on this message board a lot in the coming weeks and months.

Feb 27, 2018 06:52AM KelAppNic wrote:

@Georgia1 You guys are amazing. Thanks so much for your prompt replies!

Feb 27, 2018 06:53AM KelAppNic wrote:

@voraciousre… thanks so much

Feb 27, 2018 06:54AM KelAppNic wrote:

@hmiles88 Thank you.

Feb 27, 2018 05:59PM voraciousreader wrote:

pittsburgh has some of the best health care in the country. The DH is in a clinical trial out of Pittsburgh Children’s hospital. We visit there every six months. i marvel about the system. Pittsburgh is working very hard to be a medical destination. Over the last decade, i have watched the city grow because of the outstanding medical facilities. No doubt in my mind that your wife will receive excellent care

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Mar 5, 2018 07:35AM KelAppNic wrote:

AN UPDATE:

So I have some updates for everyone, and appreciate any feedback you may have. We went for the ultrasound which resulted in a second biopsy, and we should have the results of that this week. We got some recommendations for surgeons in the area from our PCP and the very knowledgeable and supportive staff at Heritage Valley Women's Health Center in Aliquippa, PA. Here are the results of the first biopsy with my question in italics.

Diagnosis: 1. Invasive mammary carcinoma, right breast. Invasive ductal carcinoma, Nottingham Grade I (tubular formation=2, nuclear picomorphism=2, mitotic rate=1). I think that Grade I is good news, but I'm not certain what the terms in parentheses mean.

2. Ductal carinoma in situ, intermediate nuclear grade. I don't understand why there are two diagnoses, and how it can be both IDC and DC in situ

Here are the ER/PR, HER2, and Ki-67 results:

ER Stain: Positive 77%

PR Stain: Positive 25% This is good, right? A better prognosis if the cells have hormone receptors?

HER2 Stain: Negative (score +1) This is also good, right? Negative HER2?

Ki67: Positive 36% I think this is not so good, is that right? It means the cells are dividing and spreading faster?

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)