Join Us

We are 218,036 members in 84 forums discussing 160,860 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: My Sister

Forum: Caring for Someone with Breast cancer —

A place to share your struggles and concerns about supporting and caring for a person you love diagnosed with breast cancer with others who understand.

Posted on: Aug 2, 2018 11:07PM

maiasequoia wrote:

My Sister just had a double mastectomy about two weeks ago and is now depressed and covering up mirrors. What can I do or say. I feel so helpless. I wish I could just hold her and wish her anxieties away. In the real world that’s not possible

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 3, 2018 04:59AM Peregrinelady wrote:

Has she thought about reconstruction? When I was first diagnosed, I thought that I I would be okay with one breast, but I felt lopsided and my scar tissue hurt. I was also depressed, probably exacerbated by Tamoxifen. Once I decided to have DIEP reconstruction, it gave me something positive to focus on. I am very happy with the results.
Dx 4/24/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/18/2015 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2015 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Surgery 4/19/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 7/20/2020 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 3, 2018 06:50AM Moderators wrote:

Hi maiasequoia! Welcome to the Community. We're sorry for your sister's diagnosis and all you're going through, but glad that you reached out here!

We know it's hard, but it can take a few weeks to recover from mastectomy's physical and emotional effects... If it helps you and her, here are some general guidelines to follow at home after the surgery: At-home recovery from mastectomy

And an interesting article from our main site too: More Women Having Reconstruction After Mastectomy

We hope this helps!

Best wishes!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)