Topic: Worrying about future - need to vent

Forum: Caring for Someone with Breast cancer — A place to share your struggles and concerns about supporting and caring for a person you love diagnosed with breast cancer with others who understand.

Posted on: Aug 27, 2021 11:11AM

Posted on: Aug 27, 2021 11:11AM

Hopefulldad wrote:

My wife, and mother of our two young kids (3 and 6), was diagnosed about a year ago and we went very quickly from small (1cm) Stage 1 disease to a more uncertain situation with LVI, a couple of microtumors in the margin, positive LNs. This all came in follow up phone call after an initially upbeat assessment right after surgery (LNs appeared negative...). She's gone through scans and there's always a little something to worry about but unclear enough to change plans. She's gone through AC+T, radiation, now hormone therapy. Battled everything and does her best to stay upbeat. She struggled in the first couple of months but has definitely found a way to cope. She is strong and has dieted and exercised so much that she is as fit as she has ever been.

I've had more trouble and if I'm not worrying about her latest strange scan result, I'm having my own health anxiety because I fear the possibility of leaving our kids without either of us. I have been feeling like the next shoe is always just about to drop.

Just in the last week, she discovered a small (<1cm) circular pinkish discoloration on her affected breast. Looks a bit like a bruise but so small and not in likely bruise area. I've spent a lot of time looking at the literature and it seems very possible. She hasn't been seen but a biopsy is ordered.

It's just so hard to imagine that this could be the turning point and I feel like she will be hit hard by this and I will need to stay strong. And I really question my ability to do this and lack a strong social network. I have just started therapy to deal with my anxiety but don't expect this to be a quick fix.

I've read comments here and found some good advice. I'll keep doing that and will make it a priority to be there for my wife. Part of my struggle is that she wants to keep everything a secret from as many people as possible until necessary, and that includes our kids. I just can't imagine how that would go but will do whatever is needed (therapy, groups) to help them adjust if things turn for the worse.

Thanks for reading. I just haven't had much opportunity to share my worries and wanted to see if this would help me get my head straight.

Page 3 of 3 (27 results)

Dec 8, 2021 02:46PM vidal1993 wrote:

AliceBastable:

Your last post gave me much needed perspective. Thank you.

Earlier this week I was certain this is a sign of Stage 4 but there may be many reasons the scan has been ordered.

Can only wait until December 21 now.

Dec 8, 2021 11:43PM alicebastable wrote:

CT scans are used for a TON of things besides cancer diagnoses.

Ignore treatment info (below) which is a BCO glitch. Do not enter personal information on this site since they grossly mishandled a data breach. Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 8/7/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/28/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Dec 9, 2021 02:37PM vidal1993 wrote:

Thanks Again.

I take my wife for her Lupron shot tomorrow, and then we wait until the 21st for the scan.

Jan 4, 2022 01:25PM vidal1993 wrote:

My wife is being investigated in order to rule out a possible recurrence.

I have now had a chance to review the recent CT scan on her liver.

The results indicate:

"Lesion of concern ..like represents a flash filling hemangioma stable since 2019"; and

"Increased background liver steatosis with areas of sparing. Several additional round hyperdense areas may represent focal nodular sparing however focal lesions should be excluded."

An ultrasound has been ordered and is pending.

My own internet research indicates this doesn't say much, other than the investigation is still continuing.

Anyone have any thoughts. comments or experience?

Jan 4, 2022 03:08PM alicebastable wrote:

Steatosis is fatty liver, super common. I've got one. Sounds like they just want another look to rule out anything else.

Ignore treatment info (below) which is a BCO glitch. Do not enter personal information on this site since they grossly mishandled a data breach. Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 8/7/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/28/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jan 6, 2022 09:15AM vidal1993 wrote:

Thanks Alice for your comment. I think these are precautionary tests. Ultrasound next week.

Feb 3, 2022 04:46PM vidal1993 wrote:

My wife got the results of her ultrasound back. Apparently, the liver steatosis is so severe the doctors have ordered an MRI to evaluate the liver parenchyma.

Hope this is all about nothing!!

Page 3 of 3 (27 results)

Scroll to top button