We are 222,154 members in 81 forums discussing 156,588 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Breast Cancer and Yoga Survey

Forum: Survey, Interview and Participant Requests: Need your Help! —

Research proposals and/or requests posted here by members have been reviewed and approved by the Moderator Team, but not associated with Breastcancer.org.

Posted on: Jul 18, 2019 09:23AM - edited Jul 22, 2019 08:42AM by BCyogasurvey

BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hello, my name is M Velma Weitz. I am a Nursing PhD student in the Doctoral Nursing Department at Drexel University in Philadelphia Pa.

I am looking for women to participate in an anonymous online survey to explore how other women feel about stress during breast cancer survivorship after participating in yoga. You can participate if you have taken one yoga class or many. This study is important to see what helps women.

Please participate in this survey if you are a female breast cancer survivor over 18 years of age and have been out of active (surgery, radiation) breast cancer treatment.

Research Objective

Women who have received the diagnosis of breast cancer have increased levels of perceived stress. This study will see if yoga can help decrease that stress and see how much participation in yoga will produce that effect. The study answers the important question about the impact of yoga on the lives of women with breast cancer.

Who is eligible?

You should be between ages 18 years and over, and post treatment (surgery, radiation) for breast cancer.

What is involved?

You will be asked to complete an anonymous online survey with 41 questions.

No Study Visits
About 10-15 minutes of your time

If you are interested in participating in this study, please open the link

Pre-screening survey for: Participation in yoga for breast cancer survivors

If the link above does not work, try copying the link below into your web browser:
https://redcap.drexelmed.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=EWCPK373AK

Study Investigators

Joan Bloch PhD, CRNP, FAAN
M Velma Weitz, PhD (c), DrNP, WHNP-BC

Email: breastcancersurvey@drexel.edu Phone: (267) 359-5831

If you are interested in participating in this study, please send me a Private Message and a link to open the study will be sent to you.

Study Investigators

Joan Bloch PhD, CRNP, FAAN
M Velma Weitz, PhD (c), DrNP, WHNP-BC

This study has been approved by the Moderators. Thank you so much for your attention to this study.

Page 1 of 1 (29 results)

Posts 1 - 29 (29 total)

Jul 18, 2019 09:44AM Ingerp wrote:

I'm not seeing an e-mail address?

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/22/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/19/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/17/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/12/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/17/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/17/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/19/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 18, 2019 10:11AM - edited Jul 18, 2019 01:07PM by ShetlandPony

So you don't consider chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy as “active treatment"? What do you actually know about breast cancer? Are you excluding stage iv/metastatic patients who are on treatment for life and use yoga as one way to cope?

I think it is important to the success and meaningfulness of your project to understand your subject and subjects well, and to define your terms precisely.

2011 Stage I ILC ER+PR+ Her2- 1.5 cm grade 1, ITCs sn . Lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC ER+PR+Her2- grade 2, mets to breast , liver. Taxol NEAD. 2015,2016 Ibrance+letrozole. 2017 Faslodex+Afnitor; Xeloda. 2018,2019 Xeloda NEAD

Jul 18, 2019 03:55PM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hi I am so sorry you feel this way. I do know about breast cancer both personally and professionally. This survey was not meant to hurt or exclude anyone. It is anonymous and online so meant to be simple. Please if you want to participate do so. But if I added all of the many treatments that are included for breast cancer - and for many years- no one would be available. That is why radiation and surgery only are mentioned. This survey was not meant to diminish any feelings or simplify the experience all breast cancer survivors have after this terrible diagnosis. I am so sorry if anyone if bothered by the wording or hurt by its phrasing. Yoga is a wonderful adjunct to your total therapy. You are right, it is important to be meaningful in how the understanding of the work is. Sometimes that is sacrificed in an attempt to be concise. I do appreciate your comments and am sorry you were offended.

Jul 18, 2019 03:56PM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Thank you for your question.

Breastcancersurvey@drexel.edu

Velma

Jul 18, 2019 04:18PM - edited Jul 18, 2019 04:18PM by MelissaDallas

This Post was deleted by MelissaDallas.
LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Jul 18, 2019 04:47PM - edited Jul 18, 2019 04:55PM by ShetlandPony

Velma, thank you for your reply and for being open to discussion. I will admit I am a bit edgy right now because of possible progression. The irony is not lost on me. But I do wish you success with your project. If such research can ultimately get insurance companies and Medicare to pay for yoga classes as a complementary therapy, patients will benefit. (The other day I met a stage iv lady who said she was spending too much time sitting in front of the tv, and I invited her to try a gentle yoga class with me. She was concerned about paying for classes but then remembered a place she might go for free, and decided to follow up.) Or even if research can simply make doctors and nurses think about recommending yoga to their patients, that would be a good thing.

Anyway, maybe it would be clearer for you to simply ask for any breast cancer patient who does not have upcoming surgery or radiation within the next year, if that's what you are looking for. The world “treatment" is so tricky. I often hear it used to only mean chemo, which is a slap in the face to people struggling with side effects from hormonal therapy. My other pet peeve (golly, I bet I have more than two!) is when a survey or application is clearly is designed only for the person whose experience follows the “Fight and Survive Victorious “ breast cancer script, further marginalizing the stage iv folks. I applied twice using an online form for a free retreat/vacation for bc patients. It was so hard to fill it out. For example, it asked “When will you finish chemotherapy?" There was no box to check that said “When I eventually enter hospice." I wonder if they never selected me beacause my answers did not make sense to them.

I am sorry to hear you have personal experience with bc. Be well. Namaste.

2011 Stage I ILC ER+PR+ Her2- 1.5 cm grade 1, ITCs sn . Lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC ER+PR+Her2- grade 2, mets to breast , liver. Taxol NEAD. 2015,2016 Ibrance+letrozole. 2017 Faslodex+Afnitor; Xeloda. 2018,2019 Xeloda NEAD

Jul 18, 2019 06:53PM moth wrote:

Is your survey for US only or can people from other countries participate?

Dx at 50; Left, IDC, 1.7 cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, very weakly ER+, being treated as TNBC Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 19, 2019 09:11AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Yes definitely anyone in the world can participate; although it is in English.

Jul 19, 2019 09:21AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hi Shetland Pony,

It is so hard to get information about the benefits of yoga - so that insurance will pay for it. We all know it works, but one of the problems of research is that you have to narrow the questions so much. I like your suggestion about asking about treatment in the next year to clarify. I hope I didn't marginalize Stage IV people because I feel that although the fight and survive script exists the lingering effects of the stress, the physical scars and limitations from surgery, radiation and chemo continue. It is my hope that working with yoga can minimize these effects - but I should not be presenting my bias with the study. So sorry about the retreat - and I hope you will be well with your yoga.

Velma

Jul 19, 2019 09:21PM ShetlandPony wrote:

(P.S. I wasn’t talking about your study when I mentioned the script; I haven’t read your questions yet, just responding and going off on tangents from your post.)

Jul 20, 2019 07:14AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hi Shetland Pony,

It's ok - The questions about about stress - and I don't mean to cause anyone more stress in taking them. Have a great day.

Best

Velma

Jul 30, 2019 10:19AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hi Everyone, Thank you to everyone who has completed the survey I appreciate it. Please consider filling out the survey on amount of yoga participation and Stress Anxiety and Perceived Health. Any amount of yoga is good - 1 hr total ever to daily practice.

Thank you,

Velma

Aug 8, 2019 03:40PM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Please keep this topic active - I appreciate anyone viewing it and responding

Aug 9, 2019 09:07AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Bump to top to keep topic alive!

Aug 12, 2019 08:13AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Bump to the top. Thank you everyone.

Aug 12, 2019 08:37AM gailmary wrote:

I i will be interested in hearing results of the study. I don't do yoga. I tried it for a while a few years after my first dx but then my back went out so quit.. oh and a rotator cuff tear hadn't healed enough yet.

Fast forward 8 years and now I meditate. That helps alot especially with sleep. A friend of mine that does yoga says her teacher always coaches mindful meditation with the yoga. I don't remember it like that. Is that common.

GAILMARY

Dx 11/25/2008, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 4/13/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy

Aug 12, 2019 08:44AM gailmary wrote:

I i will be interested in hearing results of the study. I don't do yoga. I tried it for a while a few years after my first dx but then my back went out so quit.. oh and a rotator cuff tear hadn't healed enough yet.

Fast forward 8 years and now I meditate. That helps alot especially with sleep. A friend of mine that does yoga says her teacher always coaches mindful meditation with the yoga. I don't remember it like that. Is that common.

GAILMARY

Dx 11/25/2008, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 4/13/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy

Aug 13, 2019 01:42PM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Please bump to the top - thank you

Aug 14, 2019 08:59AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hi GailMary,

Meditation is common in many yoga classes. Usually at the beginning of the class the instructor will have you set an intention and then at the end as you lie in rest pose you will guided to focus on your breathing and let your thoughts come and go. Meditation is a wonderful practice and yoga relaxes the body to engage in meditation so you have bypassed the yoga.

Aug 15, 2019 03:09PM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Please Bump to the top

Aug 16, 2019 08:25AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Thank you everyone for continuing to participate Please bump

Aug 17, 2019 11:39AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Please Bump to active.

Aug 18, 2019 09:11AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Bump to active please

Aug 20, 2019 12:39PM mvw wrote:

Thank you for continuing to participate.

Velma

Aug 20, 2019 04:40PM mvw wrote:

I really appreciate everyone's help/

Aug 21, 2019 08:35AM mvw wrote:

Thank you everyone for your continued support.

Velma

Aug 22, 2019 01:30PM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hi Everyone - Please bump to the top.

Aug 23, 2019 08:15AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hi Everyone, Please consider participating if you were diagnosed with any stage breast cancer and have taken even 1 yoga class. It will take about 10 min of your time. Thank you so much.

Velma

13 hours ago BCyogasurvey wrote:

If you have participated in any form of yoga - please participate in this 10 min survey - this can before before or after being diagnosed with breast cancer. The study ask questions about stress and anxiety. Thank you Velma

Page 1 of 1 (29 results)