We are 222,924 members in 82 forums discussing 156,988 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Breast Cancer and Yoga Survey

Forum: Survey, Interview and Participant Requests: Need your Help! —

Research proposals and/or requests posted here by members have been reviewed and approved by the Moderator Team, but not associated with Breastcancer.org.

Posted on: Jul 18, 2019 09:23AM - edited Jul 22, 2019 08:42AM by BCyogasurvey

BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hello, my name is M Velma Weitz. I am a Nursing PhD student in the Doctoral Nursing Department at Drexel University in Philadelphia Pa.

I am looking for women to participate in an anonymous online survey to explore how other women feel about stress during breast cancer survivorship after participating in yoga. You can participate if you have taken one yoga class or many. This study is important to see what helps women.

Please participate in this survey if you are a female breast cancer survivor over 18 years of age and have been out of active (surgery, radiation) breast cancer treatment.

Research Objective

Women who have received the diagnosis of breast cancer have increased levels of perceived stress. This study will see if yoga can help decrease that stress and see how much participation in yoga will produce that effect. The study answers the important question about the impact of yoga on the lives of women with breast cancer.

Who is eligible?

You should be between ages 18 years and over, and post treatment (surgery, radiation) for breast cancer.

What is involved?

You will be asked to complete an anonymous online survey with 41 questions.

No Study Visits
About 10-15 minutes of your time

If you are interested in participating in this study, please open the link

Pre-screening survey for: Participation in yoga for breast cancer survivors

If the link above does not work, try copying the link below into your web browser:
https://redcap.drexelmed.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=EWCPK373AK

Study Investigators

Joan Bloch PhD, CRNP, FAAN
M Velma Weitz, PhD (c), DrNP, WHNP-BC

Email: breastcancersurvey@drexel.edu Phone: (267) 359-5831

If you are interested in participating in this study, please send me a Private Message and a link to open the study will be sent to you.

Study Investigators

Joan Bloch PhD, CRNP, FAAN
M Velma Weitz, PhD (c), DrNP, WHNP-BC

This study has been approved by the Moderators. Thank you so much for your attention to this study.

Page 2 of 2 (46 results)

Posts 31 - 46 (46 total)

Aug 27, 2019 02:39AM gnomiut wrote:

Thanks for your response. I'm in this forum to better understand the progression of ILC in a close friend (63) who chose to have no "treatment". She had a biopsy about 4 years ago confirming the malignant ILC tumor and it has grown since then, but going on five years and she is alive. She was clear about not pursuing "treament" (surgery, drugs, chemo, radiation, etc) but I can find very little data online about what to expect for someone who has a tumor increasing in size but otherwise generally feels healthy. She found a palliative care doctor to be her general GP to make sure that she would have access to hospice whenever needed in the future. The tumor is uncomfortable but does not appear to have spread beyond the breast. If yoga counts as a treatment, I think she'd sign up for that!

Aug 27, 2019 09:29AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

I would love for yoga to do so much more and help your friend. Yoga has been shown to help one live in the present moment. Yoga and meditation also can help with decreasing anxiety and stress. In that regard it can help your friend. If she does participate in yoga, she will need adjustments in the program which can be accommodated by the instructor due to the discomfort she has been having at the tumor site. I wish her and you the best as you go through this.

Velma

Aug 29, 2019 10:35AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Please bump to top Thank you

Velma

Aug 30, 2019 07:42AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Thank you for your continuing response. It is really appreciated.

Velma

Aug 31, 2019 08:55AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Please bump to the top.Thank you. Velma

Sep 1, 2019 08:26AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Thank you for your participation. Have a safe Labor Day weekend.

Velma

Sep 2, 2019 08:08AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Have a safe and Happy Labor Day.

Velma

Sep 4, 2019 08:30AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

wishing safety for everyone affected by the hurricane.

Velma

Sep 4, 2019 11:33AM LoveFromPhilly wrote:

Hello from another Philly person :)

I completed your survey.

The only issue I would suggest making a change on, is that you have a section asking about what treatments have been done. The choices are surgery, chemo, radiation and something else I am forgetting. But there were not options for the treatments that I have been on since day 1, diagnosed with MBC. If you can change that one question to offering an "other treatments" and then people can fill in the blank, that would probably make your survey more encompassing and have better/clearer results :)

Thanks for doing this - I am a practitioner of Chinese medicine, nutrition, Chinese herbology and massage therapy...I am a huge fan of all things "complementary" and although I currently do NOT do yoga, I have practiced yoga for about 20 years. About 15 of them very steadily. I just am currently bored with yoga and am using other exercise therapies to help with my mental and physical capacities.

Another huge factor in my mental health is taking antidepressants, which I started about one year ago (maybe less?). I SO wish I had started them immediately when I received my diagnosis, as they have really helped balance my emotional distress...hugely so. I could see immediate results with exercise though, in helping me feel so much better.

All the best!

Philly

💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏽‍♂️ 💫 🧚🏽‍♂️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ 💫 🧚🏾‍♀️ Dx 3/25/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib)

Sep 5, 2019 04:12PM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Hi LoveFromPhilly,

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate your taking the survey and your comments. I would love to investigate all forms of complementary herbal therapy and myself do Pilates (still working on arm movement) yoga, essential oils and massage. It seems to take a village of alternative therapy to get things working. Best to you,

Velma

Sep 8, 2019 10:39AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Please bump to the top.

Sep 9, 2019 09:14AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Bump to the top.

Thank you for all of your support.

Velma

Sep 11, 2019 10:57AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Thank you yogis for all of your support!

Sep 13, 2019 08:54AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

I appreciate the support everyone is giving in filling out the survey.

Velma

Sep 16, 2019 09:53AM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Thank you for your continued support

Velma

Sep 19, 2019 12:55PM BCyogasurvey wrote:

Thank you again for the support - hoping all you yogis are enjoying the wonderful fall weather.

Page 2 of 2 (46 results)