Join Us

We are 224,976 members in 83 forums discussing 163,816 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Need comments on chemotherapy or treatment -Thanks you!!!

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer, Open to All To Contribute —

Topics here are started by members with a Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer diagnosis, but open to all members to contribute to discussions. Please note that there is a separate forum, Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY, where topics are open only to those members.

Posted on: Apr 30, 2020 02:20PM

lsmm19 wrote:

My mom has recurrent breast cancer with metastasis to bone and liver. The type of breast cancer is ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH). She is receiving Bisphosphonate treatment and the chemo treatment (Abraxane). The blood test showed decreased CEA level (from 480ug/ml to 133ug/ml) and decreased CA153 level (from 556U/ml to 284 U/ml) after first 3 cycles of the treatment. After another 3 cycles of treatment, the blood CEA level was 100.7 ug/ml and CA153 level was 300.3U/ml. But the CT results showed that the liver tumor did not shrink (but also didn't get bigger) after the 6 cycles of treatment. As the tumor didn't shrink during the course, does it still indicate that the chemo worked? The doctor now suggested her to take the combination chemo threapy (abraxane + xeloda) for the 7th and 8th chemo cycles. How do you think this treatment, I am so worried about the side effects of the treatment. I wonder how many cycles of chemo treatment do people usually take?