Aug 4, 2020 04:16PM BevJen wrote:
She is correct that Medicare pays only about 80% of the cost of medical care. I am on Medicare, and I have a Medicare supplement plan (also known as a Medigap policy). It picks up the other 20% so long as the service is covered by Medicare. I don't know that much about Medicare advantage plans, but I think they pick up more. One thing she can do is to look into switching to Medicare Advantage during open enrollment in the fall, but that won't kick in until Jan 2021.
As for meds, if she doesn't have a Medicare advantage plan, then one option is to get a Part D prescription plan. Those pay for other meds (not infusion drugs that are usually paid under Part B of Medicare.) So, for example, if she was on an AI, which is a pill, the Part D plan would pick that up.
In addition to all of that, she should contact the drug manufacturers to see if she can get some assistance. They usually have income tests, but usually you can get some $$ from them. Her oncologist's office should have someone there who can help her with all of this, and she needs to speak up and get some help from them in securing some financial assistance.