Topic: Covid-19?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Mar 11, 2020 09:31PM

Posted on: Mar 11, 2020 09:31PM

yuuki wrote:

Increasingly, it's feeling like the elephant in the middle of the room. So, I thought I would open a thread where we can air our concerns, frustrations, fears, and nervous humor about the SARS-CoV2 virus and give each other support. Do you work, and can you work from home? Kids in school? Are you practicing "social distancing" and to what degree? Are your family members and caregivers doing the same? What are the practical considerations and concerns you deal with on a daily basis? Is there an outbreak near you?

I'm hoping we can come here to support each other, commiserate, and get through it together. It would certainly help me.

Blessings and waves - from 6 feet away - to all of you.

Yuuki

Page 3 of 20 (192 results)

Mar 12, 2020 09:27AM Yogatyme wrote:

DogMom, I agree that Gov Cooper is taking this seriously

Yogatyme Surgery 3/2/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 7/19/2019, IDC: Papillary, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/12/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Mar 12, 2020 10:29AM ingerp wrote:

Oy. Sorry--I forgot about the paywall. I'll grab some of the verbiage.

"While it is true some parts of the system require vitamins and minerals (such as vitamins A, C and zinc) to function normally, higher doses have not been shown to make the system function better. In fact, scientists are still a long way from understanding the complex interplay of cells and organs that allows the immune system to perform at its optimum level."

"'Obviously good and balanced nutrition is important, but I actually do not think there is any strong scientific evidence for any specific type of food being linked to better immune function, and certainly there is no serious work on the area that I am aware of,' says Shiv Pillai, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and director of the Harvard immunology program."

"So, what can we do to keep the immune system — and our overall health — functioning optimally? The experts I spoke with all had the same suggestions, and this list probably will not surprise you. In addition to the balanced diet mentioned by Pillai, you should: aim to be physically active for at least 150 minutes per week; take steps to quit smoking; use strategies to reduce stress (exercise is great for that); and try to get adequate sleep — about seven or eight hours per night."

"If you consume a diet filled with adequate protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, you should not need any of the supplements being marketed around coronavirus. To get there, fill half of your plate with vegetables and fruit, and the remaining quarters are left for protein-rich foods (chicken, fish, beans, eggs, etc.) and some whole grains like oats or brown rice."

"Vegetables and fruits are especially important; choosing a colorful array — perhaps carrots, peppers, oranges, leafy greens, berries or apples — will provide vitamins A and C, which both play important roles in immune function. It is also vital to get enough vitamin D, because vitamin D deficiency is linked to an increased susceptibility to infection. Since it is found in a limited number of foods, such as fortified milk and fatty fish, supplements are often recommended (the dose you need depends on age, gender and how much you get from food)."

"Still, if taking your vitamin C or some other supposed immune enhancer simply makes you feel good, go ahead. 'Taking a supplement is an intervention a person can implement immediately," Stefanski says. "This leads to feelings of control and may even have a placebo effect of enhancing their well-being even if the supplement isn't actually enhancing the immune system.'"

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/22/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/19/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 5/17/2016 Whole breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/12/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 5/17/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/17/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 8/19/2018 Whole breast: Breast

Mar 12, 2020 10:49AM sweetp6217 wrote:

I work in a place where anywhere from 20 to over 100 come by per day. We cringe when we hear wet coughing or sneezes when peeps don't use their coat elbow, etc. Peeps touching everything they can get their hands on (little kids mostly). If I shop in a store, I wonder if I should be shopping at all and buying something that a sick person touched and put back. Same goes for Shipt. I'm sure that the employee knows better, but what's in the store cannot be cleaned every time something happens. We are allowed to wear masks now but I really wish those who are sick would wear them. If they cannot find any to buy, I would visit the doctor's office and grab a couple.

We also have to hide the hand-sanitizers big bottles (for all to use/share) because they grow legs. Those available to buy (hand-sanitizer, masks, gloves, some paper towels, some toilet paper, clorox and other wipes, rubbing alcohol, etc., all wipes but facial and lastly vick's vapor rub. Not sure what you do with that last one.

I also get my flu shot in November/December since they are most effective for about 6 months. I got the flu once in a February when I got the flu shot in August.

My husband is also exposed to sick people during work. We can't escape it but just keep our hands worn out from all the washing.

Dx 7/7/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, HER2+, Targeted Therapy 7/26/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/26/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/3/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 2/20/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 4/13/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 12, 2020 11:51AM marijen wrote:

Well it’s the healthy young people that are surviving this....however I did see that the immune system actually causes the lung damage while fighting the virus.

Mar 12, 2020 01:51PM moderators wrote:

Hi all,

Popping in here to share with you Breastcancer.org's Breaking Special News Report: Coronavirus: What People With Breast Cancer Need to Know

We hope you find this helpful, and stay safe and healthy!

--The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Mar 12, 2020 09:21PM marijen wrote:

Top infectious disease doctor would not fly for pleasure during coronavirus pandemic

From CNN's Michael Nedelman

The US's top infectious disease doctor told CNN's Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta Thursday night that he wouldn't get on a plane right now due to the coronavirus outbreak unless absolutely necessary.

"I certainly wouldn't get on a plane for a pleasure trip. It would have to be something that was really urgent," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during CNN's coronavirus town hall. "My job is the public health. If it had to do with the public health and I needed to do something for the public health, I might do that because I'm quite healthy. However, if it was just for fun — no way I would do it."

"I'm a pretty healthy guy for 79," Fauci added.

Mar 13, 2020 06:54AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Here is a thread that was started on 3/3 on the virus:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/875661?page=5#idx_124

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 13, 2020 07:22AM edj3 wrote:

exbrnxgrl I don't participate in that one as it's in the Stage 4 forums, which is off limits for those of us who aren't stage 4.

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 13, 2020 07:28AM Yogatyme wrote:

We were supposed to go to see Les Mis last night but decided that since all the Covid 19 cases are in the Raleigh area we would forgo. Hopefully next time....

Yogatyme Surgery 3/2/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 7/19/2019, IDC: Papillary, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/12/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Mar 13, 2020 07:45AM summerangel wrote:

Here's a site from Johns Hopkins that tracks the number of cases worldwide: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I'm mainly concerned for my parents, especially my frail 82 year old father with mild COPD.

Age at dx: 45. Oncotype, left-side tumor: 9. Right side had multifocal IDC and "extensive" LCIS. Isolated tumor cells in 1 right-side node. Dx 3/27/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/27/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/1/2015 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Surgery 6/1/2015 Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 8/27/2015 Reconstruction (Left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/3/2015 Reconstruction (Left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction

Page 3 of 20 (192 results)

Scroll to top button