Topic: Covid-19?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Mar 11, 2020 08:31PM

Posted on: Mar 11, 2020 08:31PM

yuuki wrote:

Increasingly, it's feeling like the elephant in the middle of the room. So, I thought I would open a thread where we can air our concerns, frustrations, fears, and nervous humor about the SARS-CoV2 virus and give each other support. Do you work, and can you work from home? Kids in school? Are you practicing "social distancing" and to what degree? Are your family members and caregivers doing the same? What are the practical considerations and concerns you deal with on a daily basis? Is there an outbreak near you?

I'm hoping we can come here to support each other, commiserate, and get through it together. It would certainly help me.

Blessings and waves - from 6 feet away - to all of you.

Yuuki

Page 7 of 20 (192 results)

Mar 18, 2020 10:02AM missouricatlady wrote:

Question please. If you get laid off due to the fact that you cannot work from home, and you file unemployment, do you also lose your insurance? I've emailed HR - no response yet. Thank you kindly. The day is coming sooner than later, I can see the writing.

diagnosed at 55, DX 10/17/18 IDC Left IIB grade 3 0/2 nodes ER+PR-HER2+, 11/7/18 TCHP, 4/4/19 Left Lumpectomy, 4/29/19 anastrozole (name-brand at CVS with a GoodRX coupon), 6/3/19 Rads, HP done 1/8/20, complete response to neoadjuvant therapy Chemotherapy 7/11/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/28/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 18, 2020 10:33AM marijen wrote:

That’s a great question! Noone should lose their insurance at this time. There is a place to ask questions at CNN Live updates.

Mar 18, 2020 11:13AM missouricatlady wrote:

Oh, thank you, Marijen, I will go and look for that. I appreciate that! Best wishes to you, be safe, hugs, Lisa

diagnosed at 55, DX 10/17/18 IDC Left IIB grade 3 0/2 nodes ER+PR-HER2+, 11/7/18 TCHP, 4/4/19 Left Lumpectomy, 4/29/19 anastrozole (name-brand at CVS with a GoodRX coupon), 6/3/19 Rads, HP done 1/8/20, complete response to neoadjuvant therapy Chemotherapy 7/11/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/28/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 18, 2020 11:46AM marijen wrote:

Fox News is also taking questions at Instagram and facebook and passing them on to the experts. Anyways, you’re welcome.

Mar 18, 2020 12:08PM marijen wrote:

Scientists say they've developed a coronavirus test that can give results in 30 minutes

From CNN's Augusta Anthony in London

Scientists at the University of Oxford have developed a rapid testing technology for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, according to a press release from the university on Wednesday.

The new test takes just half an hour, over three times faster than the current method, the university said. Previous tests took up to two hours to give a result, according to the press release. The test was validated with real clinical samples at Shenzhen Luohou People's Hospital in China, the university said.

The research was initiated by the Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research in China and experiments carried out in the Department of Engineering Science at the University of Oxford.

The scientists are working to develop an integrated device that can test at clinics, airports and at home. They plan to run validations in the United Kingdom and explore how to produce test kits.

Mar 18, 2020 01:15PM salamandra wrote:

SerenitySTAT, thanks for sharing that article. I hadn't heard that story. It's both inspiring and deeply troubling.

Missouricatlady - if you lose your job, you are eligible for COBRA, which can maintain your old health insurance. You are also eligible to get health insurance on your state marketplace within (I believe) 30 days.

You should find out how much cobra would be for you and how much marketplace insurance would be for you. Cobra is usually more expensive, but the difference might be worth it depending on the details of the plans available to you. Whatever you do though, act with speed because deadlines can slip by.

Unemployment insurance and medical insurance are completely separate.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Mar 18, 2020 02:06PM missouricatlady wrote:

Thank you, Salamandra. Love your coffee cup! I did also submit my question to CNN. HR does not call me back. For those old folks, it must be an "ancient Chinese secret" - pun intended. Stay well!! Lisa

Mar 18, 2020 02:09PM marijen wrote:

I believe Cobra is not availabe for companies that have less than 20 employees.

Mar 18, 2020 02:37PM bcincolorado wrote:

That is correct marjen. COBRA is expensive though and when I was laid off the end of 2018 my employer covered me for a month on their insurance since we paid premiums in arrears or something in our paychecks and I was able to get on the State insurance plan which is on an income based sliding scale so I had to no lag time during that time so one took over when the other ended.

I now have good coverage on a State plan with BCBS with a very low affordable premium. If you qualify though you may be able to even get Medicaid assistance. It may limit who you can see for doctors though.

I went through someone we knew who was a local independent health agent. If you know of anyone there who can help or can find out they will do the leg work for you and help you at no cost to you get set up. Insurance can be confusing and you need to be covered with cancer.

Best wishes to you.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/1/2010 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Surgery 1/1/2010 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing Surgery 1/7/2010 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left) Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 19, 2020 12:26AM marijen wrote:

Estrogen related....

Hand washing habits or hormones? With nearly 50% more men than women dying from COVID-19, researchers are looking for answers

LONDON, March 4 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - When Chinese authorities released data on coronavirus deaths, one striking trend emerged - fewer women were dying than men.

Researchers looked at 44,672 confirmed cases of coronavirus in China from late 2019, when the virus first emerged, to Feb. 11. Most experienced only mild symptoms but 1,023 died - an overall death rate of 2.3%. Of these, 653 were men. Despite the fact that roughly equal numbers of men and women in China caught COVID-19 - which is now confirmed to have killed more than 3,000 people globally - the death rate among male victims was significantly higher, at 2.8% compared to 1.7% for women. That represents a 48.89% difference.

Should we be surprised by this? It's hard to say. While no two viruses are the same, looking at similar outbreaks can offer some insights. Other major coronavirus outbreaks - including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which originated in China in 2003, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012 - also killed more men than women. Research on mice also suggests males may be more vulnerable to these viruses.

In depth: Coronavirus and its impact on people, cities, and economy

One theory behind this difference is hormones. Research by Stanley Perlman, a professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Iowa, showed female mice were less susceptible to the SARS virus than males. But when the female hormone estrogen was blocked, or their ovaries were removed, the female mice were more likely to die.

"Our results would suggest it's probably something intrinsic, and it may be hormonal," said Perlman.

Although the sample is quite large, it is still hard to draw any firm conclusions. Scientists say a number of environmental factors could have played into the statistics, from differences in how male and female patients were treated to lifestyle factors. For example, Chinese men are more likely than women to be regular smokers.

Separately, studies have found that men — even health care workers — are less likely to wash their hands or to use soap than women, a practice that could limit the spread of the virus.

The implications are probably limited at this stage. Perlman said that all else being equal, if two people came down with the disease he "might be a little more worried about the male".

The World Health Organization (WHO) does not distinguish between the sexes in advice on its website, which says only that "older people, and those with pre-existing medical conditions (such as high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes) appear to be more vulnerable".

Page 7 of 20 (192 results)

Scroll to top button