Join Us

We are 217,522 members in 84 forums discussing 160,607 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Important BCO links: What you need to know about COVID-19

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus —

A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Mar 20, 2020 02:23PM - edited Jun 23, 2020 04:08PM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Please let us know if these resources are helpful, and what we can do to help!

Important articles from BCO:

Coronavirus: What People With Breast Cancer Need to Know summarizes the most critical information that people with breast cancer and their loved ones should know about who is at risk, how you can protect yourself, and what to do if you think you may be sick. It also includes a special video message from our Founder and Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Marisa Weiss.

Breastcancer.org Podcasts:

Quarantine Fatigue: How to Stay Vigilant About Your Safety During the COVID-19 Pandemic: As the quarantine and restrictions related to COVID-19 stretch into their fourth month — though some areas are loosening some restrictions — we may find ourselves not wearing a mask every single time we leave the house or being a bit more casual about washing our hands. This reaction is called "caution fatigue." In this podcast, Dr. Jackie Gollan explains caution fatigue and give us some tips on how to overcome it.

COVID-19 and Metastatic Breast Cancer: In this podcast, Shirley Mertz talks about what it's like to live with metastatic breast cancer during the COVID-19 pandemic. Listen to the podcast to hear Shirley discuss her personal journey with breast cancer, the ways in which the stresses of COVID-19 and metastatic breast cancer are similar, and how people with metastatic disease are coping with treatment and scan delays.

COVID-19 Insurance and Financial Issues for People With Breast Cancer: In this podcast, Joanna Morales, cancer rights attorney, author, speaker, and CEO of Triage Cancer, explains the most important aspects of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act for people with cancer, as well as how the new paid sick leave and family and medical leave programs work, what to do if you've been laid off and have lost your employer-sponsored health insurance, why it's important to communicate with your creditors if you can't pay your bills right now.

Staying Active During Quarantine: Tips for People with Breast Cancer: In this Breastcancer.org podcast, Sami Mansfield, certified cancer exercise trainer, discusses how to motivate yourself to exercise when you're working out alone, how exercise can help both your physical and mental while being while you're isolating, and tips on how to exercise if you have no equipment at home.

Breast Surgery and Reconstruction During COVID-19: This Breastcancer.org podcast with Dr. Julie Sprunt and Dr. Elisabeth Potter discusses concerns about breast cancer surgery or reconstruction surgery that has been postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Including information on why many breast cancer surgeries can be safely delayed, recommendations for treatment and reconstruction during COVID-19, and what they want people who have been diagnosed with breast to know.

COVID-19 and Breast Cancer Treatment: In this latest Breastcancer.org podcast, Dr. Brian Wojciechowski, medical oncologist and Breastcancer.org medical adviser, discusses deciding which breast cancer treatments should be delayed, treatment and its effect on the immune system, and important things to know about breast cancer and COVID-19.

COVID-19 and Breast Cancer: What We Know Now: In this Breastcancer.org podcast, Virologist Dr. Angela Rassmussen, Ph.D., an associate research scientist in the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.

Managing Loneliness and Anxiety During This Time of Social Distancing, another new Breastcancer.org podcast featuring Kelly Glosklags, LICSW, BCD, FAAGC discussing ways to combat the loneliness and anxiety people may be feeling during this time of isolation and social distancing because of COVID-19.

Videos featuring Dr. Marisa Weiss, Breastcancer.org Founder and President:

COVID-19 & Breast Cancer: Should Surgery be Delayed?

COVID-19 & Breast Cancer: Are Loved Ones Allowed in Treatment Centers?

Is Radiation Therapy Safe During the COVID-19 Pandemic?

COVID-19: How to Protect Yourself in Healthcare Facilities

Breast Cancer Treatment & COVID-19: Safety First With Loved Ones, Caregivers

More important information:

WHO (World Health Organization) Coronavirus disease advice for the public: Myth busters

ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncology) COVID-19 Patient Care Information

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Apr 17, 2020 01:46PM - edited Apr 17, 2020 04:44PM by BCat40

I watched the videos about whether surgery can be delayed and find it very concerning that they stated that those with ER+ tumors can be pushed back because those patients can start ET therapy, when it is well known that ET is only effective in about ~50% of cases. That is giving women false assurances that they will be fine waiting when it is really a flip of a coin.

Dx at 40 Dx 2/4/2020, LCIS/ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/25/2020 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/1/2020 Whole-breast: Breast

Apr 20, 2020 12:03PM Moderators wrote:

Hi BCat40 and thanks for your feedback! This video was intended to provide general information about what's happening with breast surgeries during the Covid-19 pandemic, and is not intended as medical advice. All breast cancer situations are different, and as Dr. Weiss suggests in the video, hormonal therapy may be an option for some people, but you should always consult with your doctor about what the best decision is for you.

Please let us know if you hear it differently.

Best,

The Mods

Jun 1, 2020 01:04AM gonegirl wrote:

This is all helpful. So little advice was given about caring for yourself with COVID I gathered advice from medical professionals and wrote a guide. I couldn't find one source that did this -Susan

Caring For Yourself When You Have COVID-19, April 2020, uppitycancerpatient.blogspot.c...
uppitycancerpatient.blogspot.com Dx 1/3/2012, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 2/9/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/9/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 11/5/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Targeted Therapy 12/7/2013 Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 11/6/2015 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 9/11/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/11/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Jun 1, 2020 01:22AM Peregrinelady wrote:

Thanks, gone girl. Very detailed and helpful!
Dx 4/24/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/18/2015 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2015 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Surgery 4/19/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 7/20/2020 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 1, 2020 01:31AM gonegirl wrote:

Thanks peregrinelady. The advice of go home and call us when you can't breathe was scaring the bejeebies out of me

Collecting that info gave me comfort

uppitycancerpatient.blogspot.com Dx 1/3/2012, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 2/9/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/9/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 11/5/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Targeted Therapy 12/7/2013 Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 11/6/2015 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 9/11/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/11/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Aug 8, 2020 12:56PM wacha wrote:

Hello!

I´ve been wondering about this... If in my last PET (7 months after radiation treatment) I have a lung wit ground-glass opacities, would it be a greater risk in regards of COVID-19?

I haven´t found any info about this, and I have to go this month for another PET.

Tank you!

Aug 8, 2020 01:08PM Moderators wrote:

Dear wacha,

We are not sure if this will be helpful but it is hot off the press: Covid 19 Town Hall

The Mods

Aug 8, 2020 08:33PM MinusTwo wrote:

wachca - I had "ground glass opacity" after all my treatment were through. Just the name freaked me out. Over two years it "resolved" & is completely gone.

Since you said your last PET was 7 months ago, I assume you're finished with active treatment? If you'll go to My Profile and fill in your prior diagnosis & treatment it will be easier to answer your questions. My docs have told me I'm far enough past treatment that BC isn't a risk factor. However I'm in the targeted age group and have mild COPD - so...... I'm pretty much staying at home.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Sep 5, 2020 05:57AM CarolWCline wrote:

This is all helpful..Thanks

MamaFacts

Sep 5, 2020 07:27PM MinusTwo wrote:

Sad to say wachca never came back or posted again. Hope she is OK

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)