Join Us

We are 225,049 members in 83 forums discussing 163,855 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Upcoming mastectomy and COVID-19

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus —

A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Mar 20, 2020 05:45PM

rosecal954 wrote:

I am scheduled to have a unilateral mastectomy on April 7 at a hospital where known COVID-19 patients are hospitalized. I have my pre-op appointments at the hospital next week at which time I will be most likely updated on the situation. I have not heard anything about re-scheduling or postponing my surgery. My recent diagnosis is a recurrence with high-grade DCIS. I previously had IDC back in 2013. So I'm a-little nervous about going into the hospital and I wonder if they will they allow my husband to stay with me. I don't know if post-poning the mastectomy at a later date is a good idea since the situation in the near future may not be any better. I imagine I will be informed by my doctor as how to proceed as my surgery date gets closer. Just wondering if anyone has has thoughts?

First Dx age 58, recurrence 2/2020 Dx 8/21/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/15/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 12/10/2013 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 2/10/2020, DCIS, Right, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+ Surgery 4/7/2020 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Dx 5/4/2020, IDC: Tubular, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Log in to post a reply

Mar 20, 2020 07:33PM MinusTwo wrote:

From what I have read, most hospitals will NOT allow people to stay with patients. However, since you were diagnosed with DCIS and not invasive cancer, I'd contact your MO and ask it this is something that can be postponed. I agree, later dates will be MUCH later. I just cancelled all my doc appointment for April & May and scheduled for the first part of June. Maybe that's still optimistic, but I can always shift again.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014
Log in to post a reply

Mar 20, 2020 08:10PM Spookiesmom wrote:

Hospitals around here are canceling non emergency surgeries and electives. Cancer surgeries are happening. Call your surgeon.

First time IDGgrade 3, stage 3. Second time, found lump myself. That made me stage 4. Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3
Log in to post a reply

Mar 20, 2020 08:15PM bcincolorado wrote:

Our local news keeps us posted on status of our hospitals and the hospital websites all have current information. No one is allowed overnight stays though and visitation is extremely limited. People cannot even wait for someone in surgery in an area right now.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Femara (letrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Mar 27, 2020 03:56PM Moderators wrote:

Most cancer surgeries are happening. We are eager to hear from people what the treatment centers are suggesting, and how to arrange support post surgery. Hang in there Medicating We're here to help how we can!


To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...
Log in to post a reply

Apr 3, 2020 09:20PM Delarise wrote:

I saw my breast and plastic surgeon on Friday. I go to Albuquerque, NM for my appointments.They both told me that the surgery is considered an emergency since my cancer can start growing again as I have finished chemo. I'm terrified either way but I am still going ahead with the surgery. At this point it really doesn't feel like you have a good choice either way. Talk to the oncologist and your surgeon to see what they think is best for your case. Get all the facts and make an informed decision. I have been agonizing over this mastectomy anyway and this certainly hasn't helped! Also just take some time to really think about how you feel about each choice. Anyway, good luck to you!!

Dx 11/21/2019, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 11/21/2019, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 12/19/2019 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)