Join Us

We are 225,050 members in 83 forums discussing 163,855 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Cancel Mammogram: Worry vs COVID

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus —

A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Mar 25, 2020 12:21PM

lola12 wrote:

Hi All,

I am due for a mammogram in a few weeks and the image center just called to schedule.

It will be my 10th year since my diagnosis.

Of course, part of me just wants to get the scananxiety over with and know all is ok/not ok and the other part of me ( and my family) is telling me to postphone until this Coronavirus seriousness is over with. I know medical offices are taking precautions but it certainly isn't stopping medical workers from being diagnosed.


What are you doing? Going or cancelling?

Lola

Lola
Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Log in to post a reply

Mar 25, 2020 01:00PM Ingerp wrote:

Lola--this is a great question and my answer is I haven't decided yet. I'm scheduled for mammo/bone density scan/check in with MO and RO next month and I'm gonna wait and see what my treatment center is recommending. I'm two years out and was really looking forward to getting this round of testing behind me, but I get that it might be better to wait. I'm almost hoping they cancel so the decision will be out of my hands.

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2018 Whole-breast: Breast
Log in to post a reply

Mar 25, 2020 01:00PM marijen wrote:

I have one next week, I’m planning on canceling. The same place has changed two other appointments to phone calls.

Log in to post a reply

Mar 25, 2020 01:03PM SATresident wrote:

I went for a mammo and ultrasound on cancer side last week, so glad I got it over with! The place was just about empty, people have canceled. I didn't have the high amt of anxiety I usually do, that is until I stepped into their building! Then I realized I still have lots more fear of cancer returning than I do the virus. Radiologist was caught up and looked at the results before I left, all ok. Where I go is a separate building and has its own entrance. I have other appointments coming up in the next three weeks, surgeon, primary, and labs the primary orders. I expect some of these apps might be canceled by the doctors, but I will go if they aren't.

Dx 2/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 4/20/2018 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 6/18/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/15/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant
Log in to post a reply

Mar 25, 2020 01:11PM - edited Mar 25, 2020 01:11PM by Beesie

So this is a routine annual mammogram, and you have no issues or concerns? And since you had a MX (I think I have that right - I checked your previous posts) this is not related to your previous diagnosis but is standard screening for your other breast?

If you read this board you will see that cancer surgeries and biopsies are in some cases being delayed because of the COVID19 pandemic. 1.5% of COVID19 patients die within days of acquiring the disease. Exposing yourself to COVID19 not only puts you at risk, but puts anyone you live with or visit with or stand next to in the grocery store at risk.

Breast cancer is a serious disease, but it is rarely urgent. In most cases, a diagnosis today versus a diagnosis in two months is not likely to change the prognosis or outcome. And if I understand correctly, you have no reason to believe you have breast cancer, this is just a routine mammogram.

Personally, in that situation, I wouldn't go anywhere near a healthcare facility. I don't have any breast screening coming up, but last week my PCP advised that my colonoscopy which is due can easily wait until this crisis has passed. I was relieved and couldn't agree with her more.

Dx 9/15/2005 Right, 7cm+, DCIS-Mi, Stage IA, Gr 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- ** Dx 01/16/2019 Left, 8mm, IDC, Stage IA, Gr 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) ** Surgery 11/30/2005 MX Right, 03/06/2019 MX Left ** Hormonal Therapy 05/2019 Letrozole
Log in to post a reply

Mar 25, 2020 01:38PM - edited Mar 25, 2020 01:39PM by Tmh0921

I was scheduled for a colonoscopy Monday and kept my appointment. It was at a facility separate from the hospital and they had a nurse in the receiving area taking patient's temperatures, and asking abut travel and exposure. All drivers/guests had to wait in their cars, only the actual patient was allowed in.

I also kept my monthly follow up with my oncologist yesterday, they were taking the same precautions.

My exchange surgery, which has just been approved and is being scheduled will be delayed. I'm not going to a hospital and having surgery given the situation.

First Dx at 27 years old in 1999, 2nd Dx 2018, 3rd Dx 2019... Current Oncotype: 26 Dx 12/7/1999, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/15 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/22/1999 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/31/2000 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2000 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 8/24/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 9/5/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 9/7/2018, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1 Dx 5/31/2019, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/5/2019 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 9/4/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/2/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 3/24/2020 Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery 7/16/2020 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 3/8/2021 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 9/27/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Mar 25, 2020 02:48PM Georgia1 wrote:

I just had a mammogram yesterday and it went great. The receptionist wore a mask, asked me several questions, and took my temperature by holding a sensor up to my forehead. Then she gave me a mask. I was six feet away from everyone at all times; the rad tech of course wore a mask; and I got a clean bill of health! So my advice would be to schedule it, then call in advance to see what their protocol is. Hope that helps but I know everyone's situation is different.

Cancer touched my breast so I kicked its ass. Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Surgery 10/10/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Mar 25, 2020 02:55PM marijen wrote:

Thanks for your comment Beesie, better just to stay away if possible.

Log in to post a reply

Mar 25, 2020 04:58PM gb2115 wrote:

I would reschedule since it's routine, and avoid going out in public unless extremely necessary. I expect my upcoming dentist appointment to be rescheduled. It can wait!

Dx IDC in Oct 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, Lumpectomy + rads + tam. Age 38. 5/21 Dx IDC. 1.6 cm ER/PR+, Her2 -. Gr 2. 2/2 nodes positive. AC/T. Age 42
Log in to post a reply

Mar 26, 2020 10:39AM lola12 wrote:

Thank you all. Yes,Bessie, unilateral mastectomy 10 years ago, just my yearly mammogram. I think I will give it a few months. Thanks everyone.

Stay Safe.

Lola.

Lola
Log in to post a reply

Mar 26, 2020 11:09AM kksmom3 wrote:

If it's only a couple of months, I would wait......just be vigilant on self-checking.

Dx 8/8/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes
Log in to post a reply

Mar 26, 2020 11:13AM marijen wrote:

My MO said OK to postpone the mammobut she still wants a phone appt on the prior office visit date.


Page 1 of 1 (11 results)