Join Us

We are 225,050 members in 83 forums discussing 163,855 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Am I High Risk? Research On Covid-19 & Cancer

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus —

A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jun 30, 2020 02:13PM - edited Jul 6, 2020 11:15PM by ShetlandPony

ShetlandPony wrote:

There is a lot of discussion about covid-19 and who is considered high-risk or immune-compromised. Some research is starting to come out. The following two articles address the question. It appears that immunotherapy is a concern, but other treatments perhaps not as much as we had feared. The articles do not specifically address hormonal therapy (unless I missed it). Please read and ask your oncologist how this research applies to you.

Here is an article published by MSKCC about some recent research on cancer treatment and covid-19. The journal article referred to is "Determinants of Severity in Cancer Patients with COVID-19 Illness" published in Nature Medicine on June 24, 2020. The article and some quotes:

https://www.mskcc.org/news-releases/msk-researchers-find-common-cancer-treatments-don-t-worsen-coronavirus-infection

"According to a new study from Memorial Sloan Kettering published June 24 in Nature Medicine, patients in active cancer treatment who develop COVID-19 infection don't fare any worse than other hospitalized patients. Notably, metastatic disease, recent chemotherapy, or major surgery within the previous 30 days did not show a significant association with either hospitalization or severe respiratory illness due to COVID-19. Researchers say their findings suggest that no one should delay cancer treatment because of concerns about the virus.“

"Similar to other studies in the general population, the researchers found that age, race, cardiac disease, hypertension, and chronic kidney disease correlated with severe outcomes. The investigators found that patients taking immunotherapy drugs called immune checkpoint inhibitors were more likely to develop severe disease and require hospitalization. Further research is required to look at the effects of these drugs. But other cancer treatments, including chemotherapy and surgery, did not contribute to worse outcomes."

2011 Stage I ITCs sn, premenopausal, Oncotype 16. 2014 Stage IV mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD 1 1/2yrs. GI/perit mets Dx 2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jun 30, 2020 02:24PM - edited Jul 6, 2020 11:14PM by ShetlandPony

Here is a paper from the UK:

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(20)31173-9.pdf

"Interpretation Mortality from COVID-19 in cancer patients appears to be principally driven by age, gender, and comorbidities. We are not able to identify evidence that cancer patients on cytotoxic chemotherapy or other anticancer treatment are at an increased risk of mortality from COVID-19 disease compared with those not on active treatment."

The authors believe that their data "gives confidence to oncologists and other clinicians that delivery of effective anticancer regimens should continue during this difficult time."

(Thank you to QT314 who posted this article first on another thread.)

2011 Stage I ITCs sn, premenopausal, Oncotype 16. 2014 Stage IV mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD 1 1/2yrs. GI/perit mets Dx 2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy

Jun 30, 2020 05:37PM theresa45 wrote:

Thanks for posting this reassuring information!

Dx 4/20/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 1, 2020 07:29AM Mavericksmom wrote:

Great information!

Has anyone read or heard any information about Covid and lymphedema? I have wondered since the pandemic began if having lymphedema has any impact on the severity of Covid

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Jul 6, 2020 11:17PM ShetlandPony wrote:

If I come across any research about that, I will post it. Or if you find some research, please post.

Jul 11, 2020 05:00PM LillyIsHere wrote:

Thanks for posting SP. When I asked my MO, he said that hormonal therapy doesn't decrease immune system but I don't agree with him. I my case at least, my immune is down since I started letrozole. I have been in antibiotics like never before. Even a small scratch can barely heal.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy

Jul 11, 2020 08:41PM bcincolorado wrote:

There is a higher risk of anything with nodes removed during surgery. Here is a link from this site even if you have not read it.

https://www.breastcancer.org/tips/immune/cancer/surgery

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)