Topic: Anyone else work in a school and afraid to go back?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 01:02PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 02:22AM by mavericksmom

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 01:02PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 02:22AM by mavericksmom

mavericksmom wrote:

This Post was deleted by mavericksmom.
Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 21 of 25 (250 results)

Jul 2, 2021 03:25PM flashlight wrote:

Hi Dancemom, I can understand why you would be nervous with this age group. I watched my grandson 3-days a week and he spent 2-days in day care. My daughter and I were so sick from what he would bring home. We used to pray for diarrhea instead of vomiting. It was similar to when my children started school so many years ago. We just heard for the fall the children don't have to wear mask and we are thankful for that. My grandson's 3rd grade class were so very good about wearing the mask and washing their hands. My daughter's 7th graders were not. When a child's mask was tested for pathogens they found streptococcus, escherichia coli, staph, to name just a few. Some children broke out in mysterious rashes. Some fainted while trying to play sports. All you can do is continue to wear your mask and follow the universal precautions. Hopefully things will look more like normal in the fall.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Jul 24, 2021 01:43PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 02:23AM by mavericksmom

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 24, 2021 01:59PM pi-xi wrote:

Mavericksmom, I agree with you 100%!

In my head, I am not sure I’ve convinced myself to go back. Maybe I could survive without the money, but I’d hate to leave a good school with awesome colleagues.

Oncotype 12 Dx 4/7/2016, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/11/2016 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Dx 8/3/2016, DCIS/IDC/IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 24, 2021 02:27PM bcincolorado wrote:

Just saw on the news here about a charter school opening with NO mask requirements at all.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/1/2010 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Surgery 1/1/2010 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing Surgery 1/7/2010 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left) Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 1, 2021 03:56PM spookiesmom wrote:

Aug 2, 2021 12:08AM flowerkid wrote:

hi

Dancemom I hear your fears. After a year off due to cancer treatment and fear of covid, I agreed to return to teach preschool, 2-3 year olds. I am not yet sure what the mask policy will be. I am vaccinated and will certainly wear a mask, but I am concerned. Trying not to worry too much though, since all I have read indicated breakthrough is not horrific.

I also can't understand why masks may not be mandated. I am hopeful that the school I work in and where my (vaccination) kids go will be masked.

Practical question: has anyone found a clear mask that they like (and that isn't too pricey?). I do feel like that would be helpful for little kids .

And - I am with ya, spookiesmom!

Aug 2, 2021 08:55AM - edited Sep 23, 2021 02:23AM by mavericksmom

Aug 2, 2021 03:32PM kksmom3 wrote:

SAME.... Mavericksmom, as you so eloquently put it! I'm in Iowa, I too, have an idiot Republican governor. What on earth! I have 1 more year, then I'm retiring, if I last that long. I am vaccinated with Moderna, but I know I will have kindergarten students that will probably contract this! Why is a tiny piece of cloth such a hardship for people!?! I will mask up for my kids!!!!

Dx 8/8/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 2, 2021 05:00PM spookiesmom wrote:

FloriDuh man.

Aug 4, 2021 01:11PM - edited Aug 4, 2021 01:13PM by claireinaz

I guess I'm more fatalistic. I teach in a state uni, full time. I had to teach in person, with half my students in the classroom, 4 days a week, while teaching the other half simultaneously on Zoom, all while only wearing a mask and socially distancing, washing hands and sanitizing-- not fully vaccinated till mid-March although I was one of the first group to get a vaccine. Our county roll out was ridiculous, and anyone who was a univ instructor even if they weren't teaching physically in a classroom could get one, so it was a mad crazy free for all. I drove three hours to Phoenix to get both doses there.

So no, compared to last year, I am not scared to return to the classroom, where I'll have full classes this year, no vaccine requirement for students to attend classes, and masks will only be recommended since I live crazy-zona, where our governor made it illegal statewide for mandatory mask requirement or vaccinations. I just hope my 18+ and over students are smart enough to get vaccinated before they step into my classroom.

I can say last year was the worst, most stressful year in my teaching career, including the academic year where I taught full time while getting chemo and radiation. I figure anything is going to be better than last year.

PS I was also dx with Meniere's Disease this April, which seemed to be brought on and certainly exacerbated by the stress of teaching as described above. I will be retiring soon.

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen/arimidex/aromasin, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "In the midst of winter, I found in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus

Page 21 of 25 (250 results)

Scroll to top button