Topic: Anyone else work in a school and afraid to go back?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 12:02PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 01:22AM by Mavericksmom

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 12:02PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 01:22AM by Mavericksmom

Mavericksmom wrote:

This Post was deleted by Mavericksmom.
Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-,

Page 3 of 25 (250 results)

Jul 26, 2020 05:17PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Unfortunately I live in a highly impacted county and as far as I know, most public school districts are starting remotely. I think almost all of the students will be disappointed by this model but so are the teachers. However according to state and county guidelines, in person classes would not currently be possible. My district is allowing teachers to deliver class from the classroom! I’m very happy about that since I would have to keep going to my classroom every week to get what I needed. I am very happy to liberate my dining room table from being my “classroom”. For the teachers who have their own children at home it’s nice that they’ll have the teach from home option as well

Jul 26, 2020 05:22PM spookiesmom wrote:

In FloriDuh the major Union is sueing the state against opening for in person class. The state constitution says must be in a safe environment. This isn’t. Fingers are being pointed in all directions.

Jul 26, 2020 05:31PM - edited Jul 26, 2020 05:34PM by Mavericksmom

exbrnexgrl, as soon as I read Silicon Valley, I said “ohhhhhh!" I live in a moderate area, but no where near as expensive as where you live! Yep, I couldn't afford to rent a dog house in SiliconValley! Now I understand your perspective!

You aren't the only one who never expected to retire like this, although I am hoping to last two more years. I thought the threat of school shootings was the worst that could happen. Wrong!

I am kind of feeling depressed because my husband and I are updating our wills. I am ashamed to say we haven't done that since the late 1980's! My grandchildren are the age our kids were at that time! Yep, don't need a guardian, we need to name a new executor, etc. It is so depressing but who knows when we would have made new wills if not for the pandemic and my fear of going back or work?

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-,

Jul 26, 2020 06:29PM spookiesmom wrote:

There is a law firm here who is offering FREE living wills to teachers, or support

Jul 26, 2020 07:19PM minustwo wrote:

I live in Houston. Very experienced, long term teacher make maybe $60,000. And that's in the cosmopolitan big city. Teachers start out at $23-25K. Many have to take 2nd jobs to make ends meet. It's a pittance and a shame - and everyone in the country should be embarrassed that we don't pay better wages to the very people who are training the next generation. Those should be the brightest and the best and we should reward them accordingly. And no, I'm not a teacher but I am a Mother of grown children.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 27, 2020 11:37AM - edited Jul 27, 2020 11:37AM by Mavericksmom

We had so many changes to make in our wills, that we are spending a bit more to have new wills drawn up. I am not as depressed about it today, but I am the type of person who likes everything done yesterday, so waiting for new forms, etc is bothering me. I am keeping busy decluttering my house! Too hot to do yardwork and after 40 years in same house, the decluttering should keep me busy until school starts, in whatever form it takes.

I rarely listen to the radio, but today I did and wish I hadn't. A DJ on the station which is located in New Jersey, was going on and on about how wearing a mask has not proven to be helpful and it is all a conspiracy. Then he went on and on about how schools should never have been closed, blah, blah, blah. He is lucky I couldn't smack his face over the airwaves!

I am still nervous about going back, but I decided I have to do everything I can to protect myself and help the students. I know schools won't change their starting plans for opening school if things go from green to yellow, but I am certain the governor would step in and shut things down if the numbers really start to climb. He is the one who shut our schools down in March. I have to return to work if I have the opportunity to do so, therefore I am trying to stay positive.

Jul 28, 2020 11:56PM ladyc2020 wrote:

Ugh what terrible situations so many are in right now. Can you ask for reassignment of some sort? Which does not have contact with the kids? Report writing? Meetings by zoom? Online tutor?Here all schools will be online. Of course,very hard for working parents, but cases are high. I have pulled my little from preschool and will do my best to work around around. I can imagine how frustrating and worrying this is.

Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2020 Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Dx 8/6/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 8/21/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 9/18/2020 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Dx 9/23/2020, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 1 Radiation Therapy 10/30/2020 Whole breast: Breast, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 29, 2020 12:39AM - edited Jul 29, 2020 12:40AM by peregrinelady

I was hoping for the choice to teach remotely as I am high risk with hypertension and microvascular heart disease. However, our district is going with the state online program for parents who choose that option. Those teachers are already trained for online and so it does make sense. There was mention of what to do about high risk teachers at the board meeting tonight and the superintendent said they are looking into the American Disabilities Act. So, hopefully there will be some answers soon. I would love to be in the classroom, of course, but also am not thrilled with the “masks are encouraged “ policy.

I also signed up for a long term disability policy, so now I am wondering if I can use that for this school year.

Dx 4/24/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/17/2015 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2015 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Surgery 4/18/2016 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 7/19/2020 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/3/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 31, 2020 08:44AM ajminn3 wrote:

My state (MN) released their guidelines on school reopening with specific requirements per county depending on how many cases per 10,000 people there are along with a plan to designate money and supplies to make sure staff and students have PPE needed. Each district makes their own plan. My district should be releasing their plans sometime today since the school board is voting on it in a special session this morning. I’m curious to see the plan!

Dx 12/2019, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2 Dx 1/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Jul 31, 2020 03:03PM - edited Jul 31, 2020 04:04PM by kksmom3

.....my husband asked me last night if I knew I could possibly get cancer again, would I go back to work? Uh - absolutely not! So, switch the word cancer for Covid.

For what it's worth tho - I did ask my med oncologist about my personal risk, history of cancer, lump/rads almost two years ago. She said it put me at no greater risk than if I hadn't had cancer. I'm still 63 though......I need to decide soon. Doctor said a lot of her patient's have been asking.

Dx 8/8/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 3 of 25 (250 results)

Scroll to top button