Topic: Anyone else work in a school and afraid to go back?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 06:02PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 07:22AM by mavericksmom

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 06:02PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 07:22AM by mavericksmom

mavericksmom wrote:

This Post was deleted by mavericksmom.
Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 5 of 25 (250 results)

Aug 1, 2020 09:25PM flashlight wrote:

Spookiesmom , Sorry this subject has made me so emotional. The children are having such a hard time dealing with this and it is heartbreaking. I know it isn't easy for the parents either. Comments are very interesting. My nephew will be returning to school full time in his district. The classes are small. The local Y is trying to come up with a program to help students while their parents work. Another school is going to let kindergarten to 3rd grade go full time. My daughter will start late August and I will do my best helping my grandson. I still don't understand the new math!! I am trying to make a few masks. My neighbor is an art teacher and she is praying she will still have a job. These are confusing times.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Aug 1, 2020 10:22PM ruthbru wrote:

I think everyone is emotional because everyone is so scared, and there is no clear path forward. Even the brightest scientists can only give educated guesses as this virus has never been seen before. 💗

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 1, 2020 10:28PM - edited Aug 1, 2020 10:34PM by exbrnxgrl

flashlight,

If you're talking about Common Core math, check out this website , Engage NY:

https://www.engageny.org/

Click on grade 3 math and follow the links. I often have parents use this site to help them understand new terminology, such as number bond, and to ease their anxieties. There really is nothing “new”, just a shift away from rote memorization to a deeper understanding. For example, when I ask my students different ways to make 5, I want them to understand that there are different ways to compose and decompose numbers to make 5.

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 2, 2020 01:04AM flashlight wrote:

exbrnxgrl, Thank you I will check it out.

ruthbru, You are right!

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Aug 4, 2020 06:37PM kksmom3 wrote:

I just called my principal. I am taking a leave of absence. I just can't do this. I can't afford another deadly disease either mentally, psychologically or financially. I'm 63, husband, 64. It's not worth it. (I'm a kindergarten para, so not a teacher, and not exactly in it for the $$ either.)

Dx 8/8/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 4, 2020 06:47PM mavericksmom wrote:

kksmom3, Good for you, I think you made a wise choice! I am 66, soon to be 67 and my husband is 79! I am also fearful and might ask for the same. I too am a para. I really need to keep working so I am hoping they will give me something on line to do, similar to last spring. Not sure since our opening is set for first week in Sept. I have a greater fear of bringing it home to my husband. if push comes to shove, I will retire. I don't think it is safe to open schools in my area as numbers are increasing.

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 4, 2020 07:48PM whatjusthappened wrote:

This is a very interesting thread. I am a high school teacher. In July, our area had one of the highest infection rates per capita in the country. Our district pushed the start of school back 10 days to give everyone additional time to prepare, and students who wish to go face to face will be doing a hybrid curriculum in which they will go to school twice a week. Like many others who have posted here, I have devoted many hours over the summer to learning how to teach remotely. Still, there's going to be a big learning curve to this and it's going to be a challenge. I am excited to see my students again though. It was hard on everybody not to be able to say goodbye last spring.

I'm a bit nervous and will take as many precautions as possible, but can't afford to take a leave, am no where near retirement, and really need to keep my job. At this point I just have to accept that what will be will be, so to speak.

BRCA2 positive; multifocal LCIS/ILC found after sugery Surgery 2/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 4/29/2019 Chest wall, Lymph nodes Surgery 6/24/2019 Hormonal Therapy 7/5/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 7/24/2020 Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 2/10/2021 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 5/10/2021 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2022 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 4, 2020 08:41PM - edited Aug 4, 2020 11:22PM by kksmom3

Mavericksmom,

I also should add that I'm in Iowa. It's getting worse here by the day, and we are the only state out of the 50 that has no mandated mask law, nor did our governor mandate online learning. High school with meet 2x a week in person, the other 3 virtually, but middle and elementary all 5 days of the week. There will be at least 20 kindergarten kids in a class, yes, they are supposed to wear masks, ugh, I mean, really, they will be all over the floor, etc. Not the children's fault! But, it's just way too risky for me. I go for my 2nd mammogram and U/S next week, I am just too newly recovered ( if we ever really do, mentally) for this.

And, I wish you all great luck.....prayers you will all be ok!!!

Dx 8/8/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 4, 2020 10:59PM whatjusthappened wrote:

kksmom3, if I were in your shoes I would do the same. I know in my district a lot of teachers have opted not to come back. And unfortunately a lot of teachers and paras were laid off because of budget cuts. So I am feeling blessed to have a job right now.

I personally don't know if I'm considered "high risk" or not- about to turn 50, no mets, no chemo. But I do have a couple of comorbid conditions like HBP and pulmonary fibrosis (from the rads), and I did have a major surgery a few weeks ago. To me that feels like high risk but my GP says I'm not. So...I don't know-we'll see, I guess.

My administrator said they would install plexi-glass around anyone's desk that felt at risk, so definitely doing that. Another idea that I just saw today is hanging clear shower curtains from the ceiling to create barriers. Something like that might be helpful for those of you going back in the classroom, though I don't know how well they would work with the little ones.

Best of luck to all of you fellow teachers and support staff- this is certainly uncharted waters for us all.

BRCA2 positive; multifocal LCIS/ILC found after sugery Surgery 2/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 4/29/2019 Chest wall, Lymph nodes Surgery 6/24/2019 Hormonal Therapy 7/5/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 7/24/2020 Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 2/10/2021 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 5/10/2021 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2022 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 5, 2020 03:26AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

I spent several hours playing around in my classroom today. After the room was deep cleaned the student desks and most of my furniture was not put back in the right place but I realized it didn’t matter since I would be alone in the classroom while teaching remotely! I am actually looking forward to it. I like a challenge and this will make my last year quite memorable (or drive me crazy 😂).

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 5 of 25 (250 results)

Scroll to top button