Join Us

We are 225,694 members in 83 forums discussing 164,174 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone else work in a school and afraid to go back?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus —

A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 10:02AM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:22PM by Mavericksmom

Mavericksmom wrote:

This Post was deleted by Mavericksmom.
Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Page 6 of 9 (250 results)

Posts 151 - 180 (250 total)

Dec 4, 2020 02:15PM flashlight wrote:

Where my daughter teaches they make rounds to make sure all are in compliance. I don't understand how one teacher could get away with this and no one said a word? The elementary schools are doing fine and those little kids are compliant!! My grandson now goes 2-days a week. He was so happy to see all his friends. He said he actually learned something. We have the rapid testing here as well.

Mavericksmom, I hope you are okay. I hope you get your 6-month leave. It's too much stress.

Hopefully by the next school year everyone will be vaccinated. I hope they make it mandatory unless you have a medical reason.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Dec 4, 2020 04:57PM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:23PM by Mavericksmom

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Jan 7, 2021 05:51AM Peregrinelady wrote:

Just wanted to update: I got the first vaccine yesterday! Pfizer, 2nd shot in 3 weeks. We have been in person since Labor Day so the stress level has been reduced a little and hopefully will be almost gone in a month. With Pfizer, it takes about a week for protection to kick in. I am in a small town so I did not think it would happen this soon. We just got an email at work that said they had extra doses from the first responder group and sent us a link to register. I quickly answered all of the questions and hightailed it to the district health office where only one person was actually administering the shots. So far, just a sore arm, but I have read that you are more likely to get the fever, fatigue, etc. from the 2nd shot. Now, I am trying to get my 84 yr. old mother a shot, but slots are already filled up. She is on a waiting list at the health district and her dr.’s office. Good luck to everyone working in schools!
Dx 4/24/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/18/2015 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2015 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Surgery 4/19/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 7/20/2020 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/4/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 9, 2021 09:52AM - edited Jan 9, 2021 12:34PM by Mavericksmom

Jan 9, 2021 10:37AM flashlight wrote:

Hi Mavericksmom, I understand where you are coming from. This craziness started over the summer. Some people just think they are entitled to destroy and this makes it worse for the rest of us.

I hope you get the vaccine soon. My daughter is scheduled to receive it soon and her school will be a vaccine center. I live on the border of Delaware and PA. Thank goodness we don't live in New York! Take care.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Jan 9, 2021 12:40PM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:23PM by Mavericksmom

Jan 14, 2021 07:59AM - edited Jan 14, 2021 08:10AM by Kikki

Hi Mavericksmom and everyone else who posted on here. I live in Ohio and many of the schools including the one my sister in law teaches special ed in have gone back to full time since October. They have not had a huge outbreak of cases, and my sister in law has not contracted the virus, as far as we know. That being said, she is in her late 30's, not her sixties and she's in good health and has never had cancer(lucky her)! This is a difficult decision you and others have to make and my heart goes out to all of you. I was a nurse in a huge community emergency department when I had surgery in January of last year, and started radiation in late February. I was in the middle of radiation treatment, when I had to take some time off of work to let my skin heal. In the meantime, I had a MO and a radiation oncologist who were not very forthcoming with the little bit of information they had regarding my risk, etc. with Coronavirus. My radiation oncologist finally said in April, that he didnt think me working in the E.R. was a good idea, but if I worked anywhere else as a nurse I wouldnt be allowed to wear an N95, so that wasn’t a great idea either. I decided and was able to leave my job but I didnt want to. I've worked my whole life as a nurse and it killed me to do it. I also was angry, because I wished my job could be held for me; but I knew this was going to be a long haul to get a vaccine, etc. I, like many of you who have posted on here was disgusted by how many viewed nurses and teachers as “expendable”. YOU are all worth so much more than a job. However, I understand that some of you cannot afford to leave yours or do not want to. I am just sorry that many of you are put in the position you are right now regarding your job over your health. I don't know what the future holds for me; but I'd like to hopefully be around to see it. Maybe you can get a virtual job? Or go back once you get vaccinated? That would be my advice. My friends/former coworkers tell me stories about people who are sick with the virus and have lingering effects after. Everyone, take care and be safe.😀

Jan 14, 2021 11:38AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

kiki,

Thank you for your support! Teachers, in most states, are tier 1B for vaccinations which means that as soon as 1A is done, we’re up! However, since each state, county and district is handling vaccines differently it is difficult to say when this will happen for all. School employees who have quit won’t be able to get their jobs back easily, but again every district will handle things differently.

When my district returns to in person learning we know that some families will choose to remain in the distance learning model. Teachers who have valid medical reasons for not returning will be given first crack at teaching those in distance learning. Teachers who have medically fragile family members will be given second priority. Those who simply feel unsafe can apply for unpaid leaves, subject to board approval. Our district is also trying to offer on site vaccinations, when they become available.

I think my district has done a great job, albeit a fairly impossible one, of trying to run a school district and keep people safe at the same time. There is no way to guarantee that everyone will be 100% safe from infection, even with vaccines. There is also no way to make every stakeholder happy. Most of the teachers in my district want to come back once the infection level in our county decreases and we are vaccinated. There is a small group who do not want to come back despite not having a valid medical reason for remaining at home. It is a tough reality for sure, but again, bear in mind that that we have no centralized education system in the US. Every school district makes their own decisions with input from their county and state.

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jan 19, 2021 05:55PM beach2beach wrote:

We've been in school since Sept. So far so good. We have some strict guidelines in place in our district. Few cases here and there which has only evolved into a class and the teacher going remote for quarantine.

Tough getting vaccination appts. I was able to get one as well as many other staff in the building as soon as they announced the education group. Those appts. went fast and within a few hours, none to be found. Not looking forward to the second shot. The nurse at the hospital said to expect side effects no matter Pfizer or Moderna. I got the Pfizer. Arm hurt for about a day then it was gone.

I'd like to believe this is a step to us going back to being "normal" but I know there is no going back and I hate to think of this being a new normal. So sick of wearing a mask!!!

Dx 7/28/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/12/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 20, 2021 11:10AM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:23PM by Mavericksmom

Feb 18, 2021 09:41AM - edited Feb 18, 2021 09:42AM by exbrnxgrl

My county notified us that educators will be able to receive vaccines after 2/28. My school district is reopening on 2/22 for part time in person instruction. We were burning up our text groups as we joined the online crush to make appointments and helped each other once we’d gotten our own appointments. I had my phone, iPad and laptop in front of me as I tried any way I could to get in. The sites were clearly overwhelmed but I finally got a confirmed appointment for 3/3!

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Feb 18, 2021 11:13AM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:24PM by Mavericksmom

Feb 18, 2021 11:31AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Mavericks mom,

I can feel your frustration and I sharedit as until yesterday I had no idea when I’d be allowed to make an appointment. The vaccine roll out has been flawed and the weather hasn’t helped. I am sure there are some cheaters in my county but for the most part people have been respectful and are waiting their turn. Our biggest problem has been inconsistent supplies of the vaccine.

It is hard for me to say who should be given priority. Elderly retirees with co-morbidities? Police officers? There are so many who need the vaccine that I realize that despite my age, profession and being stage IV, others have even greater need and I am glad to let them go ahead of me.

We have had our distance learning support centers, some special day classes and some kindergartners on campus, part time, for several months. There have been no staff to student virus transmissions nor vice a versa. On a personal level, I take all recommended precautions but don’t worry excessively. I am not a worrier by nature but that’s just my personality. I simply can’t wait to teach real, live children and I feel that my district has done an excellent job on the health and safety measures.

Feb 18, 2021 01:54PM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:24PM by Mavericksmom

Feb 28, 2021 12:33PM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:24PM by Mavericksmom

Feb 28, 2021 12:53PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

mavericksmom,

We started in person learning last week, which was the day after our Presidents week break. Students who traveled more than 150 miles outside the county still had to quarantine for 10 days so 3 of my students won’t return until tomorrow. Are some families less than honest about the traveling they did? Likely, yes but I think the majority have been honest.

Due to supply problems, I will take whatever vaccine is offered at my site! My first appointment is this Wednesday evening. I have been thinking about why I am less worried than some about contracting Covid19. I take all recommended precautions and that’s all I can do. I have no illusion of promises or guarantees against infection. My school district is making it as safe as they know how to and starting tomorrow, educators will begin vaccinations in my county. I also think that being stage IV for almost 10 years gives me a bit of a different perspective.

Mar 5, 2021 08:31PM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:24PM by Mavericksmom

Mar 5, 2021 09:32PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Mavericksmom,

You do sound as if a break is needed. It’s definitely been a stressful year for almost everyone. It is unfortunate that every state and every county had all sorts of different criteria for who got vaccinated and when. Clearly, the supply shortage was a huge contributor toward the confusion. I have been working very hard to not get stressed about things I can’t control, but I’m not always successful. I got my first vaccine, Pfizer, this past Wednesday. The venue was Levi’s Stadium and there wasas much excitement as there would be if we were going to a football game. Almost everyone there was in the field of education and the process was relatively quick and very well organized.

Enjoy your medical break but don’t neglect your health for too long, especially with respect to bc. I was essentially stage IV de novo. It’s been almost 10 years and though I have had it far easier than most, stage IV is a road you don’t want to go down.

Mar 6, 2021 04:07AM Spookiesmom wrote:

President Biden has announced all teachers and school staff must be vaccinated by the end of March. That order supersedes what out “wonderful “ governor has decided. So my teacher DD has an appointment next week. No matter your political lean, this is a good thing.

First time IDGgrade 3, stage 3. Second time, found lump myself. That made me stage 4. Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3

Mar 6, 2021 05:37AM Spookiesmom wrote:

First time IDGgrade 3, stage 3. Second time, found lump myself. That made me stage 4. Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3

Mar 6, 2021 06:38AM flashlight wrote:

Hi Mavericksmom, I understand why you need a break. I pushed back my last MO visit a month. Please reconsider getting your mammogram, During Covid my MO said most of her patients were refusing to get their mammo done. I found that it was so much better then it was in the past because they honor your appointment time and there was only one other person in the changing waiting room. Radiologist read it right a way. Yes, it made me anxious, but I knew how I would feel if I didn't do it. You can always put off seeing your NP. Since my liver function labs finally came back normal I have graduated to a every 6 months MO visit. I am happy with that! I haven't been able to get the vaccine either. My daughter who is a teacher hasn't received it. For teachers it hasn't gone as planned. They gave her school district only 1000 of the J&J last week. My grandson goes back full time in 2-weeks and my daughter has full time 7th graders starting the first week in April. There hasn't been any cases of Covid during the hybrid sessions at both schools. Most of my daughter's students English is their second language. I think and remain hopeful we are turning the corner on this pandemic. Hang in there!

Mar 6, 2021 11:35AM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:24PM by Mavericksmom

Mar 6, 2021 12:15PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

mavericksmom,

I am so sorry that your experiences with the medical community have been negative and you’ve been stressed about work. Have you considered therapy to help you cope with your stress? I know it’s not for everyone but it might be worth a try.

As for fear, I fear neither bc nor death. I have been stage IV for almost 10 years and am simply not ready to die yet. Of course this may be totally out of my control but I do keep up with any and all appointments, treatments and scans. I don’t love any of it but I have children, grandchildren and will be retiring at the end of this school year and I want to enjoy all of those things for as long as possible. Take good care.

Mar 11, 2021 08:57PM ruthbru wrote:

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 13, 2021 10:43AM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:24PM by Mavericksmom

Mar 13, 2021 11:17AM flashlight wrote:

Hi Mavericksmom, So glad you received the J&J vaccination! Governor Wolf prioritized teachers and staff last week to receive the J&J. So far supply has been limited, but my daughter was able to schedule a vaccination appt for next Friday through school. I agree, PA isn't doing a great job. They left vaccinations to the counties then they short changed them with less supply. I think they should gather information from states that are doing a good job. New Mexico, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Alaska, North and South Dakota and West Virginia to name a few. Thank God we have vaccinations! If the government really does come through and we can get more supply more will be scheduled to be vaccinated by the end of April. Hopefully, we won't have to wait until July to have an outside barbeque.

Mar 13, 2021 11:23AM Harley07 wrote:

@Mavericksmom - I really feel for you and see the stress in your posts. Glad to hear you received the J&J vaccine which will offer protection. Given the scope of the pandemic I feel there is no way vaccine distribution will be 100% equitable. I have worked in my office throughout the pandemic and know that some of my coworkers are less cautious than I. I am 63 so not yet eligible for the vaccine in my county. The way I look at it is that for each person that is vaccinated it helps all of us as that is one more person that has a fairly high level of protection, will not become seriously ill and hopefully cannot pass the virus to another person. Is your school offering some type of counseling or support for staff as you prepare the children's return

RAD51D mutation Surgery 11/5/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 11/10/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/19/2020 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/7/2021 Hormonal Therapy 2/8/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 13, 2021 11:56AM flashlight wrote:

I just read this and it should give us some hope. The pandemic is fading. New daily cases are at their lowest level since last October. Deaths have continued to decline. Each vaccination pushes us closer to our pre-pandemic normal. According to the CDC, 13% of the adult population of the U.S. are fully vaccinated, including 32% of people age 65 and over.

Not all will be vaccinated because just like the flu vaccine they will refuse. My daughter has to clean and disinfect between classes with a strong cleaner. There has been meetings, but not much in the way of support, except from fellow staff. Most of the teachers want to get back and resume a kind of a normal routine. They all hate virtual learning and the stress that brings and most will have to do both. Some parents won't be sending their children back and will continue with virtual learning. These cyber kids are the children you have to feel sorry for.

Mar 13, 2021 03:54PM - edited Mar 13, 2021 04:26PM by exbrnxgrl

mavericksmom,

I'm so happy for you as I know the vaccination issue weighed heavy on your mind. My school district did not prioritize employees by position but opened it up to everyone once my county announced that anyone who works for a school district was eligible. Levi's Stadium served as a huge vaccination site for many of us and my district was diligent in finding appointments at other locations. They have also put a protocol in place should you feel unwell after a vaccine and are unable to teach.

Monday marks are fourth week back for partial in person instruction and I am tickled pink to be back! Strangely, even though I went back a week before I received my first vaccine, I never had any real fear. I took, and still take, all recommended precautions but I simply cannot live with stress over something I can't control. I've felt that way for decades and it has been useful in not freaking out over things beyond my control, even mbc.

We did have an odd incident in one of our classes. A child tested positive so the whole class, eacher, and aide were sent home. Our biggest question? Why did the parents send their child to school while they were waiting on the results of a COVID test? Everyone has a part to play in ending this pandemic and I simply cannot understand people's self centered behavior at all.

Mar 13, 2021 04:19PM bcincolorado wrote:

Both my kids are teachers. One had to start doing classes from home because one of the teachers in the building was COVID positive so they put everyone back to online learning again. Most have all had their shots now at least (at least one dose) Second delayed due to snowstorm!!! UGH!!!! Daughter (in another state) called and found out from someone else (she has been seriously ill with meningitis and almost died 3 months ago and only working part time now) that someone in the building let her know there was a case in their hallway!! They all mask and are super careful. They do not even trust the cleaning done by janitors and do it again themselves and between all their classes. Chairs are distanced and classes limited. Still there. She is still terrified and has both doses of her vaccine done.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Page 6 of 9 (250 results)