Topic: Anyone else work in a school and afraid to go back?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 10:02AM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:22PM by mavericksmom

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 10:02AM - edited Sep 22, 2021 11:22PM by mavericksmom

mavericksmom wrote:

This Post was deleted by mavericksmom.
Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 6 of 25 (250 results)

Aug 5, 2020 07:35PM ruthbru wrote:

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 6, 2020 07:23AM mavericksmom wrote:

ruthbru, I LOVE THAT!!!!! SO TRUE! Thanks for sharing!

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 6, 2020 07:40PM Mominator wrote:

Dear flashlight, you may also like Kahn Academy for common core math (and a lot of other subjects)

https://www.khanacademy.org/coach/dashboard click on courses to get started. There are videos and exercises. You can also search for a topic.

As far as back to school....

We (teachers, staff, and parents) are looking forward to our next Board of Education Zoom meeting to update us on more measures for safety in September. Our last BOE Zoom meeting maxed out at 100 people on Zoom, so the BOE is paying for 500 people to attend.

BOE already has a lot of measures in place (see my post on previous page). However, regulations are changing constantly here in NJ.

I also teach at a local Mathnasium. We have started in person instruction again with lot of precautions: limited number of people in the room, with masks, 6 feet apart, etc. At first. the students had a tough time with the masks. A young boy played with his mask most of the lesson. A teen girl let it fall past her nose constantly. We saw improvement over time.

I hope all our students wear their masks properly when we're all back in school.

Good luck to all.

Mominator, BRCA2+, STK-11 VUS. My Mom dx DCIS age 62, ILC stage IIIA age 79; Mom passed 2/28/18. My Grandmother died of ovarian cancer age 48. Friend to Lori M, passed 5/25/16. Surgery 11/10/2015 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/18/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 6/29/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant

Aug 7, 2020 02:17PM flashlight wrote:

Mominator , Thank you for the information. I hope the children can get used to the mask wearing and washing their hands. I know it is a challenge.

My daughter's school district had another opened meeting. Parents remain divided with some angry parents wanting teachers to be paid less. One of my daughter's fellow teachers found a college student to help with her children while she is at school and another couldn't find anyone that didn't want $200.00 per child per week.

Good luck to you all!!

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Aug 7, 2020 02:52PM spookiesmom wrote:

In apparent defiance of our $&#% gov who ordered all brick and mortar schools to be open 5 days a week, a neighboring county has announced the first 4 weeks will be virtual. My DD hopes hers will too.

Aug 7, 2020 08:43PM - edited Aug 7, 2020 08:47PM by exbrnxgrl

Oh what a patchwork of possibilities we have for going back to school!

To those who think that teachers should be paid less if teaching remotely? Sisters, believe me when I say that it's much harder and as this was never our teaching model, teachers have spent the summer doing a lot of learning themselves and doing a million other things that needed to be done to make this work. In my district it will be nothing like the spring. Attendance is mandatory, no more pajamas or eating etc. About 3/4 of the families in my district support distance learning. Additionally, we have the option to teach from home or our classroom. Many of my colleagues are happy to teach from the classroom, myself included. All my “stuff", including my enormous collection of children's books is there! I also think it will help give my day the more typical structure and rhythm that I enjoy. Best news of all for our teachers who have school age children themselves. They learned yesterday that they can have their school age children with them if they are teaching from the classroom. They have to sign some sort of agreement with the district, probably regarding the district having no liability if a child gets sick. My children are adults but many of my colleagues have young children. I am so happy for them because I know the childcare issue was stressing them out.

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 7, 2020 08:49PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

spookiesmom,

I,hope your daughter’s district makes that choice too. There are still too many unknowns with this virus. I for one am most comfortable erring on the side of caution and following the science as it evolves

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 8, 2020 07:40AM - edited Aug 8, 2020 07:44AM by spookiesmom

Well, of course the state caught wind of this decision. And is screaming you can't do that. So I guess it will be see ya in court.

The major state teacher union already has a lawsuit against this. But this is the south, unions are pretty toothless here. Will probably be like the schools that have opened, one day later a bunch of kids and adults are positive, and had to close again. How stupid. What a waste.

Aug 8, 2020 10:06AM fairchild wrote:

Spookiesmom, I am a professor at a state university that was planning to be open...... until a week ago. We are now moving online for a month, although it's being said that we can stay online for the semester if we want to. Frankly I'm exhausted from the whiplash of watching policies come and go. I know it is a changing problem, but it was clear 2 months ago that rates were going out of control here, so it wasn't hard to know what would eventually happen. I wish they had been honest about going online, but I suspect they were hoping the kids would make plans to come, plans that would be difficult to un-do when we went online......

Fairchild Dx 5/5/2018, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/25/2018 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant, Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant, Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 9/6/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/8/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/9/2019 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole)

Aug 13, 2020 04:48AM spookiesmom wrote:

Page 6 of 25 (250 results)

Scroll to top button