Topic: Anyone else work in a school and afraid to go back?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 02:02PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 03:22AM by Mavericksmom

Posted on: Jul 21, 2020 02:02PM - edited Sep 23, 2021 03:22AM by Mavericksmom

Mavericksmom wrote:

This Post was deleted by Mavericksmom.
Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-,

Page 9 of 25 (250 results)

Aug 29, 2020 10:25PM Mavericksmom wrote:

The head of my county’s health department just recommended that if a student is positive for Covid, the child will be sent home but everyone that student had contact with should stay in school.

I guess we can kiss contact tracing good-bye! What would be the point of doing it?

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-,

Aug 31, 2020 09:18PM beach2beach wrote:

In our district if a child gets sick, the whole class will be quarantined and go to remote. If it comes back neg then they come back if not, they all stay out.

We start back in 2 days..keeping my fingers crossed. Just dropped my son off at his college and keeping my fingers and toes crossed there also.

Dx 7/28/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2017 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Hormonal Therapy 9/12/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 31, 2020 09:49PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

I just finished day 13 of distance teaching. I am teaching from my empty classroom. My dining room had turned into a classroom in the spring and I needed to reclaim it. I will say that there is nothing sadder than a virtually empty elementary school campus when school is session but almost all are at home. The quiet is deafening

Sep 2, 2020 06:35PM Mavericksmom wrote:

I was told today I will be working with spec ed students helping them with their on line courses, but in the school building. This particular population, due to their IEP's, are coming in the school because their parents want them there! Ok, I am fine with that. What I am NOT fine with is the fact that it isn't mandatory for them to wear masks, and at least one student is coming from a Covid positive family, hasn't been quarantined, or tested, and also will not be required to wear a mask! Of course none of us IAs (instructional assistants) will know who the child from the positive home is. Everything is secret.

The head of the dept told us to go to HR and ask to take a leave. Unfortunately, I am high risk, for multiple reasons, but have no reason to be able to get a leave according to the requirements for leave. I can't afford to take time off without pay. My doctor told me if I wear a mask, shield and gloves, change my gloves often and wash hands often, I will be fine!!!!!

All of the young IAs will be taking leave because they have children at home who are doing on line learning. They can stay home and still get partial pay as long as their kid's schools are doing on line learning!

The rest of the students in my district won't return until October, or later, when the hybrid is supposed to start!

I don't think I will ever see my grandkids again. I have never been so afraid! Wondering why myself and others who have a slew of health issues and are in our 60's are the ones who don't qualify for any leave????? I feel literally sick!

Sep 2, 2020 11:04PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

That is a rough situation. Would your doctor be able to say that you need to take a leave for medical reasons? I am so sorry that you’ve been put between a rock and a hard place

Sep 3, 2020 12:23AM kksmom3 wrote:

I also don't have "bad enough" reasons to get a medical paid leave using my built up sick time. I'm taking an unpaid leave, but basically, it's like I resigned. I just dropped off my school's employee email today. It feels so final. I also had no closure, left on Friday, March 13........now it's over. I really feel terrible, but it's my choice. I live in a hotspot and I was afraid of getting Covid. Cancer 2 years ago was enough. I loved my job. Sad.

Dx 8/8/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 3, 2020 12:40AM ajminn3 wrote:

Mavericksmom- I work in sped too with majority of my students coming everyday. My district is offering a variety of face covering options (mask, shield, hat with shield, plexiglass around desk) and if students are unable to utilize some kind of covering then they need a doctors note and if they have difficulty with social distancing or other measures on top of not being able to use a face covering them we need to alter our admin. This I believe would ultimately lead to students who can’t use a face covering or follow other covid safety measures to be determined as needing to go to full distance for safety/least restrictive during covid. I’m sorry your put in this spot! I hate when teachers are (or have to be?) secretive. You are part of a TEAM to support students and to do that, you need information about them to support them and keep yourself safe.

Dx 12/2019, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2 Dx 1/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Sep 3, 2020 11:23AM - edited Sep 3, 2020 05:09PM by flashlight

Mavericksmom, I understand your anxiety, but saying that you have talked to your doctor about your health. You will be protecting yourself by wearing a smock, face shield, gloves, and by staying hydrated and using the bathroom. The worry is that people will become complacent and not follow the rules as they become comfortable. Watch the you tube video on how to safely to remove your gloves. If there is a sink in the room, wash your hands/wrist while you sing the happy birthday song, with warmer water frequently. Ask how many students you will have and if the desks will be 6 feet a part. My daughter is a 7th grade spec ed math teacher. Last year she had a student who had seizures and one that slept the whole class. Will their temp be monitored? If they have a cough will they stay home? How do you feel about the safety precautions your school put in place? How do they disinfect and how often? I think the children who are able to wear a mask should, but some will not be able to due to underlying conditions. Are you in a hot spot?

My grandson's 2nd day of virtual school was a disaster. The school 's internet was in and out because of so many people on it. Parents started yelling at the teacher. The teacher went to her house, but it wasn't any better. She returned to school and cried and my grandson and the other 3rd graders did too. Virtual back to school night was last night. Parents were not happy. I feel so bad for the teachers and children. Too much stress for everyone.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Sep 3, 2020 07:29PM - edited Sep 3, 2020 07:32PM by exbrnxgrl

Mavericksmom,

I forgot to say one thing with respect to your comment about everything being secret in terms of who has/had exposure to Covid19. I do not know if this is federal, state, or local law but in my county*, all notifications regarding reportable diseases are always anonymous, Reportable diseases, as identified by the county department of health, require schools to notify all who have been exposed to certain illnesses. The notices inform parents of the exposure, for example head lice or strep throat, and describe symptoms to look for but never identify who the person who exposed students to the illness was. I am sure that it's the same way with Covid and I hope you can understand why privacy needs to be protected with respect to medical matters. The exposure notice serves to inform and that's all that is needed

* This could fall under HIPAAbut I'm not sure.

Sep 3, 2020 07:40PM spookiesmom wrote:

Well damn. My DD just told me her school police officer is positive. He was wearing a mask.

Agree, that’s probably HIPPA.

Page 9 of 25 (250 results)

Scroll to top button