Join Us

We are 225,037 members in 83 forums discussing 163,853 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: vaccine Stage 4 w/comprbidities-where’s my place in line?

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus —

A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Jan 5, 2021 02:32AM

Bailey5 wrote:

I live in calif & have stage 4; any tips on how to go about getting vaccinated ASAP & which vaccine is the 1 shot as that's my choice one. Websites seem to contradict each other in when it's available to me. I understand front-line & long term health care workers should absolutely be first; but I would think then I'd be next in line; but it appears & I could be wrong I should be next; I'm 55, obese, cardiac issues as well. My UCLA Onc said he'd write lette(; but didn't think he'd be distributing it to his ca pits. I'm cinfused and scared esp of new strain! Thx vm for help with all this! BTW: I do appreciate all the frontline and my son is actually a food delivery driver; so I know that's important; but I feel bit more immunocompromised (as evidence by chemo blood values & feel Stage 4 maybe should bump up further in tier one.

I'd also heard something about Vandencamp Air Force base after they vaccinate theirs Theyll open it to public in surrounding communities; I'm wondering hoe to get in that line and what “communities are surrounding: I live in Arroyo Grande?

Thx again

Bailey5 Dx 6/1/2010, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/5/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap, Nipple reconstruction

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Jan 5, 2021 08:59AM - edited Jan 5, 2021 09:00AM by flashlight

Hi Bailey5, I just saw on the news that receiving one dose of the vaccine is still being discussed because it takes the second dose to give you 95% immunity. It is up to the Governors how the vaccine is administered and to who. There should be a web site for your state or community. In most states the local pharmacies are now receiving the vaccine, but I'm not sure how that works. In Florida the Governor set up drive throughs 7-days a week with extended hours. Other states right now it is Mon-Fri 8-5pm which is causing a backflow. Best wishes.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Jan 5, 2021 09:18AM candy-678 wrote:

Bailey5- I too am Stage 4. I am 50 years old and no longer in the workforce-- Social Security Disability. I have high blood pressure, autoimmune issues, and the cancer with the low white counts from the treatments. Yes, each State is different. My State is frontline Healthcare workers (as it should be), then Nursing Home Residents, then it gets confusing. I think, then 75 and older, grocery store and postal workers ( as they are essential and out in the public). I think next is under 75 with health issues-----Me finally????

But all this is confusing. And with the slow rollout and less vaccines being delivered, who knows the timeline of when it will get down to me. I saw my MO Dec 21st and she had no clue when it would be my turn. She said she had not had hers yet !!!!!!!!!

Found mets on CT for unrelated issue. I only had 2 treatments with IV chemo for the Stage II, then found Stage 4 and switched to hormone therapy/targeted therapy. I consider myself de novo. Xgeva use for bone mets. Liver bx Apr 2021 shows ER- now. Dx 6/2017, ILC/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 7/31/2017 AC Dx 9/2017, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 11/1/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2017 Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Dx 4/2021, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, ER-/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Targeted Therapy 9/3/2021 Lynparza Hormonal Therapy 9/4/2021 Zoladex (goserelin)

Jan 5, 2021 09:23AM - edited Jan 5, 2021 09:28AM by exbrnxgrl

bailey,

I am also stage IV and live in CA. I am almost 65 but have no co-morbidities. I agree that it's confusing to try to find out when someone might be at bat to get the vaccine. I live in Santa Clara County and am monitoring the county health department web site. I am also a public school teacher and my district is on top of the situation I can hear the fear in your writing, but I think that if you are following current safety recommendations, especially about staying home, you are doing all you can to protect yourself. The vaccine roll out has not been as swift as most of us had hoped so continued patience is important. My dd works in a residential mental health facility and she has not been vaccinated yet. Take a deep breath and check your counties health department website.

PS: No single dose vaccine has approved in the US yet. Whether it is a good option to give only a single dose of the double dose vaccines is an unsettled debate

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jan 7, 2021 05:49PM flashlight wrote:

Hi, I asked my MO and she said they wouldn't be giving out the vaccine. I have emailed my PCP and asked if there is a sign up list. My daughter is a teacher and she will be receiving the vaccine by the end of the month. Her school will be a vaccine center. I read on our state site that those with cancer would be able to receive the vaccine next month and anyone 75 or older. My friend in Conn has an appt for the vaccine early March. I read that New Jersey has a sign up list on the state site. I hope those with stage 4 will be first in line early Feb.

Dx 11/15/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Jan 7, 2021 06:53PM - edited Jan 7, 2021 06:55PM by exbrnxgrl

flashlight, I mostly agree but not everyone, not even at stage IV, is immune compromised and may not be at any more risk than the average person of their same age. I am not immune compromised and beside mbc, relatively healthy. I will probably getting the vaccine in the next wave as I am a public school teacher, not because of health. I am 64, not overweight and no co-morbidities. I will take the vaccine as a teacher but wouldn't want to be considered due to mbc because my immune system is fine.

My dd, who I mentioned worked in a mental health facility,is very happy as she will be getting her vaccine on Tuesday. I've never known her to be so happy about getting a shot 😂.

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jan 7, 2021 07:40PM DebAL wrote:

hhs.gov has a list of partnering pharmacies that will be receiving the vaccine. I think pharmacies will be the way to go. Primary care offices apply to get vaccine but guessing it will be after pharmacies. I got my first dose last week as I am in healthcare. I do feel very fortunate

Dx 1/22/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/12/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 2/12/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 4/2/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 6/14/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/9/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/20/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery

Jan 7, 2021 07:53PM - edited Jan 7, 2021 07:55PM by Spookiesmom

Our “wonderful “ governor has decided that medical personnel should get vax first, then seniors over 65. I don't agree. School staff, from teachers to bus drivers, anybody with any type of public contact should be next.

My PCP said I should get it, as I have a long list of other issues.

So FloriDuh got a shipment of vaccine and instead of an organized system for distribution, gov left it up to individual counties. People camped out overnight to get in line. At least it's not cold here. The phone system crashed. The email system crashed. Not everyone has access to the internet.

I'll wait a few more weeks. In 3 counties here, Publix, a grocery store, announced they will be doing shots. They were booked solid in 2 hours.

First time IDGgrade 3, stage 3. Second time, found lump myself. That made me stage 4. Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3

Jan 7, 2021 09:56PM Bailey5 wrote:

thank you everyone for sharing & forgive my ine reply to all vs individual replies-short Attn-span, I guess prevents me from doing that. I didn’t even think I was in fear; but I just re-read my original post above-I guess it’s the continual unknown and wanted to be done with the pandemic that is underlying everyone’s thoughts and actions consciously or unconsciously! Wow that was a run-on sentence huh? I’ll try to remember to keep you all posted on what happens. Wishing everyone the strength to get past this & healthy happy vibes! My best-

Bailey5 Dx 6/1/2010, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/5/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap, Nipple reconstruction

Jan 8, 2021 07:25PM MicheleH57 wrote:

This part of the COVID Debacle also is confusing and disorganized, isn't it?

In WA State, people more than age 70 or in a nursing home or working with the public or as a first responder or health provider come first. And that distribution is underway.

They will open the program to people who must have 2 co-morbidities *and* 2 underlying conditions to get the vaccine.

And that'll be in March!

Otherwise, as a "healthy" adult, you likely will be waiting until May or June or later to get the vaccine.

At the same time, the state will roll out a tool on Jan 18 that you can use to figure out when your place in line will come up.

But state officials have admitted that if you take the 'test' and you don't like the results and you jump the line, they won't bark about that.

WA State actually has plenty of vaccine. It's the distribution that's the problem.

Hope we have a rapid change in all of this come January 20. Because the states all do depend on the federal government to be able to roll it out. You can't just dump the boxes and freezers in each state and say "good luck."

Dx 10/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 8, 2021 08:30PM moth wrote:

I'm in BC & I honestly don't expect to get vaccinated till sometime this summer. We're not even sure the mRNA is safe for people in active treatment - esp those on immunotherapy. I think I might be waiting for one of the vaccines on the regular backbone rather than the mRNA.

In my province, we're doing long term care staff & residents first, then health care workers in ER/ICU & other critical care settings. Then seniors in community ... But I think the priority lists have been changing so it's hard to know what order things will get done.

I think by next fall is when hopefully things really start to settle down. I was in a Zoom cancer support meeting today & we're all expecting to continue virtually at least another 6 months.

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx 12/9/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/16/2020 Femara (letrozole) Dx 1/28/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External: Bone

Jan 9, 2021 11:38AM BevJen wrote:

Moth,

I am about to start immunotherapy on Jan. 19th -- keytruda as a single agent.

I was interested in your comment that "We're not even sure the mRNA is safe for people in active treatment - esp those on immunotherapy." I've been trying to do some research on that, and I haven't found anything yet that contraindicates getting any of the vaccines while on immunotherapy. I will revisit with my MO within the next week, but was wondering if you have any sources that support your statement.

Thanks.

Microwave Ablations,Liver 3x ;Radiation Therapy to Femur (Both) April 2021; total hip replacement (R) and placement of rod (L) to stabilize femur both sides; immunotherapy (single agent - keytruda) Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, 13/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+, HER2- Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/4/2019 Targeted Therapy 7/31/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Immunotherapy

Jan 10, 2021 01:30AM MargaritaMS wrote:

BevJen, I am also on Keytruda (for more than 18 months). I don’t have scientific data but do have anecdotal info - for what it’s worth. My MO and I discussed the vaccines at length. Her recommendation is to get it. She says the mRNA type actually makes it safer for immunotherapy patients than traditional vaccines because it is programmed to avoid inflammation. (We are now beyond the realm of my scientific understanding -lol). Anyway, she’s been my MO for 6 years and I trust her knowledge and care. We agreed that the risk of harm is greater from contracting covid than from potential vaccine side effects. So I’ll take my place in line as soon as I can. That said, I’d probably wait and see how you manage with Keytruda for a few infusions before trying the vaccine. Also, I’m in a FB group of Keytruda patients of all different kinds of cancers. There are some in the group who have already been vaccinated without significant side effects. MO opinions seem to be split in the group but of course, people are on a variety of other drugs too so that would no doubt have an impact on whether it’s recommended for each individual. Obviously, everyone has to make their own decision based on their situation

Dx 5/2000, IDC, Left, Stage IIB, ER+ Dx 4/2015, IBC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Immunotherapy Keytruda (pembrolizumab) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere) Chemotherapy Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Radiation Therapy Targeted Therapy Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)