Topic: Vaccine booster

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Aug 10, 2021 03:07PM

Posted on: Aug 10, 2021 03:07PM

finallyoverit wrote:

Hi everyone,

I saw my MO yesterday for a normal, check-in visit and to get results of a recent scan (all stable! 😁). I asked him if I was offered a booster vaccine (received the Pfizer vaccine many months ago and had no ill effects) should I take it. He said yes, even though I’m not considered immunocompromised, he said it wouldn’t be a bad thing to take it.

Just throwing it out there for anyone that might be wondering the same thing. This is just my MOs take on it, but I will say he trained at MD Anderson and teaches the fellows at John’s Hopkins. The 3rd or booster shot isn’t a “thing” yet, but I wanted to get his opinion in the event that I’m offered it. I was really on the fence. I don’t have any strong feeling about not taking it, but wanted to make sure that it would be something that would benefit me before accepting it.


Take care, all!


Dx 10/2011, IDC, Stage IIA, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone
Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 15 (147 results)

Log in to post a reply

Aug 10, 2021 04:04PM leesad wrote:

I asked my MO this question today at my every six month appt. I had mentioned I was waiting patiently for the booster to become available (received 2nd shot of Pfizer Feb 10) so six months ago. She said jump on it as soon as available to immuno compromised. I’m in NY and anyone who has had a cancer diagnosis any time in their lifetime was considered to be in the immuno compromised category as far as eligibility.
Oncotype Score 3, 2/4 Sentinal Nodes micromestasis so pushed for ALND for 'peace of Mind' and surprise found 2/14 positive axillary nodes Dx 2/3/2017, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 4/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/27/2017 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 4/17/2017 Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 5/9/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/2/2017 Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery 11/17/2017 Surgery 1/30/2018 Reconstruction (Left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant
Log in to post a reply

Aug 10, 2021 07:36PM - edited Aug 10, 2021 07:37PM by spookiesmom

I'll be starting back on ibrance Sunday, so my white cells will go down a little. I'll get the booster if CDC says for me.

Log in to post a reply

Aug 11, 2021 11:28AM finallyoverit wrote:

@spookiesmom ~ I’m on Ibrance as well

Dx 10/2011, IDC, Stage IIA, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone
Log in to post a reply

Aug 16, 2021 07:42PM sunshinegal wrote:

Dana Farber just sent a mass email saying CDC is now recommending the booster for anyone in active treatment for cancer. I'm interested in getting it, but a little concerned about reacting to Moderna #3 the way I reacted to Moderna #2 (flu-like symptoms for 30 hours). I gotta plan ahead for that kind of down time! LOL

Dx 10/7/2010, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 3/22/2021, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Aug 16, 2021 08:53PM serenitystat wrote:

Not everyone in active cancer treatment is immunocompromised, so please check with your MO. I recently had dose 2 of Moderna so I can wait. I hope to get the reduced dose as a booster to minimize risk of side effects.


BCO leaked our private data. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ . . . . . "Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶Dx.11/2015.IDC.L.IIIC.10/11nodes.++- ☕️12/2015.L.Mast 🛀2/2016.4AC.12Taxol.fasted 🖼9/2016.Rads.Nodes.ChestWall.15+4boosts 🥐10/2016.Tamox(2.5y) 🌲4/2019.Exemestane 🎭12/2019.Ibrance/Xgeva 🕊
Log in to post a reply

Aug 16, 2021 11:49PM nopink2019 wrote:

I had already scheduled a booster before messaging MO to ask if I should get it. Her reply, "Absolutely!" So tomorrow it is.

Chemotherapy 8/23/2019 Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 9/20/2019 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 11/13/2019 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 11/13/2019 Kisqali Hormonal Therapy 5/10/2021 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 5/10/2021 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 11/28/2021 Other Chemotherapy 6/1/2022 Other Surgery Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Left breast
Log in to post a reply

Aug 17, 2021 09:19AM Tinkerbell107 wrote:

Just wondering if anyone is going to request having antibodies tested before the booster shot? I recognize timing is everything when you had the vaccine. I plan to ask my MO about being tested.

Dx 8/23/2019, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 5/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Aug 17, 2021 10:38AM snow-drop wrote:

where we should get the booster shot? I got vaccines through our county, registered and waited for a long time until my turn, which was age group, not my condition, now there is no way I register on the country website again, it says “you are fully vaccinated, thanks!” The cancer clinic, closed registration for vaccine on mychart too!

De Novo stage IV Dx 9/2019, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-, IHC Radiation Therapy External Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Zoladex (goserelin) Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone
Log in to post a reply

Aug 17, 2021 11:17AM Tinkerbell107 wrote:

Hi Snow-drop. I’m trying to obtain information as well. I emailed my MO. MO’s nurse responded and their facility is working out the details. More or less they don’t know if they should scratch their watch or wind their head.

Dx 8/23/2019, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 5/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Aug 17, 2021 01:01PM snow-drop wrote:

thank you Tinkerbell, good idea I’ll message my MO’s office.

De Novo stage IV Dx 9/2019, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-, IHC Radiation Therapy External Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Zoladex (goserelin) Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

Page 1 of 15 (147 results)

Scroll to top button