A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.
Posted on: Aug 10, 2021 12:07PM
I saw my MO yesterday for a normal, check-in visit and to get results of a recent scan (all stable! 😁). I asked him if I was offered a booster vaccine (received the Pfizer vaccine many months ago and had no ill effects) should I take it. He said yes, even though I’m not considered immunocompromised, he said it wouldn’t be a bad thing to take it.
Just throwing it out there for anyone that might be wondering the same thing. This is just my MOs take on it, but I will say he trained at MD Anderson and teaches the fellows at John’s Hopkins. The 3rd or booster shot isn’t a “thing” yet, but I wanted to get his opinion in the event that I’m offered it. I was really on the fence. I don’t have any strong feeling about not taking it, but wanted to make sure that it would be something that would benefit me before accepting it.
Take care, all!
Posts 121 - 131 (131 total)
Oct 29, 2021 03:06PM Snow-drop wrote:
Hershey, thanks for your reply, I don’t know why everything happens out of working hours! I was anxious about all these happened together. So today before booster I consulted with my MO, she said the same thing, she would consider if I have fever.
Dec 2, 2021 04:27AM - edited Dec 2, 2021 04:28AM by macdebbie
I had a lumpectomy on 9/14/21 and finished 16 rounds of radiation on 11/26. I got both Pfizer doses - last was 4/13. I talked to my RO about getting the booster, and she said to wait until after I see my breast surgeon for my follow-up visit because of potential swelling, but that appt. isn't until the end of March.
I see her for my one month on 12/22, and see my MO for my appt to discuss hormone blockers on 12/27.
I'm concerned with getting the booster too soon after radiation and causing more swelling/pain in the surgical breast. I'm still not healed. Dealing with radiation burn right now...
Should I wait until I see my MO and talk to him about everything or just wait until after my appt, in March with my breast surgeon? I don't go anywhere except to the doctor, we have our groceries delivered, etc. I didn't have chemo, so I don't know if I am considered immune-compromised just from radiation.
Will the Tamoxifen cause problems with the booster, as I know a side effect of Tamoxifen is blood clots and I thought that was also a problem with the vaccines.
Dec 2, 2021 08:08AM Beaverntx wrote:
Macdebbie, Tamoxifen should not be a problem. The vaccine which had concerns re blood clots was as Astra Zeneca, not being given in the US.
If I were you, I would check with my MO since you already have your RO's opinion.
Good luck and keep on protecting yourself. At least where I live many folks are not protecting me or themselves so it is up to me to protect me!
Dec 5, 2021 11:00AM Castigame wrote:
had covid booster about 48hrs ago. And my arms weigh very heavy. I think it is getting worse. Yea I had headache and dizziness which dissipated. And my throat hurt a bit. Really not sure whether I should listen to the next/fourth shot.
Dec 5, 2021 01:14PM Nkb wrote:
Castigame- I had a super sore arm, headache and nausea- only lasted a few days. I got 100mcg of the Moderna- which they are calling a third dose in my primary series - not a booster. booster will be in ~ 4 months I guess (6 months from 3rd) I don't know what dose it will be for immunocompromised people.
I think there will be a lot more data available for you to decide whether a 4th shot is a good idea for you before you need to make that decision
Hope you feel better very soon,
Dec 7, 2021 02:43AM Lalis21 wrote:
Hey there! I had my 2nd Pfizer shot 6 months ago. I am elegible for the 3rd. Dosis. I live in South America and where I am based the Aztraseneca vaccine is recommended as the third dose. I am under treatment with Kisqali. Does any one knows if a 3rd. Shot of Pfizer is feasible. I do not want to risk myself getting the Astra vaccine because I am not sure about the secondary effects for cancer patients. Does any one know which is the recommended 3rd dosis for cancer patients? Thanks a lot!
Dec 7, 2021 11:44AM Nkb wrote:
Lalis21- when I got my 3rd dose I had gotten two Moderna shots already and got the normal dose of Moderna (not the half dose) as a 3rd dose. there are studies showing that mixing and matching works well also- so getting a Moderna or Pfizer could be a good choice also- see what your doctor thinks
Dec 14, 2021 07:55PM - edited Dec 14, 2021 07:56PM by Reckless
Lalis21 - I got 3 Pfizer doses, as recommended by my doctor. But, mix and match studies were not available at that time
Dec 15, 2021 02:22AM - edited Dec 15, 2021 02:35AM by Jelson
Lalis21- as mentioned already, we don't have AstraZ here in the US, so our mixing and matching studies involve only Pfizer and Moderna. Studies in Great Britain however do include AstraZ but I am not see studies yet using it as a booster. The studies which show great response, imply that the mixing and matching is to assure that vaccines are available. I had two Moderna and took a Pfizer booster. If you are concerned about side-effects of AstraZ as a booster,and since you tolerated Pfizer, then do advocate for Pfizer or the Moderna so you at least you stick with an mRNA type.
late breaking news!!! AstraZ now approved in US for immuno-compromised people " The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted the EUA for Evusheld for pre-exposure prophylaxis of COVID-19 in adults and adolescents (aged 12 and older who weigh 40kg or more) with moderate to severe immune compromise due to a medical condition or immunosuppressive medications and who may not mount an adequate immune response to COVID-19 vaccination, as well as those individuals for whom COVID-19 vaccination is not recommended. Recipients should not be currently infected with or had recent known exposure to a person infected with SARS-CoV-2." see entire article here: www.astrazeneca.com/media-cent...
I hope your BC treatment goes well and you avoid Covid!
Jan 11, 2022 12:20PM SerenitySTAT wrote:
For immunocompromised Montrealers needing a safe vaccination space for 3rd/4th doses! See link for more details to contact this kind pharmacist.