Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Truth about vaccine PLEASE

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Member Posts: 5

closed

Comments

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had my first Moderna vaccine on March 15th, and my second shot on April 15th. The only issue I had was a slightly sore arm both times. My husband, who has a great immune system had a fever, headache and chills for about 12 hours after his second shot. Less than the flu.

My daughters, who are both teachers, had the Pfizer starting in February. No reactions at all for either of them. Same for everyone else in my extended family.

Honestly, the main thing all of us felt after getting the shot was a sense of relief. I felt safe going out and doing things for the first time in 16 months. The vaccine is a good thing. The more people who get it, the sooner we can get back to normal.

Good luck. Stay safe.

Trish

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi, JO. I got the Moderna vaccine in March and April. After the second dose I had 1 1/2 days of fever and a half-day of mild headache. I took these as signs that my immune system was having a proper response; that is, I was gaining immune defense against covid. My arm that had the injection was sore for several days. I have had no new health problems.

• limnogal
    limnogal Member Posts: 100
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi, JO. My husband and I both got the Moderna vaccine-him in February/March and me in March/April. He felt kind of draggy for about 6 hours after both the first and second shots. I took s nap for a couple of hours after the first shot, but had no issues at all after the second one. My daughter also got the Moderna vaccine. She had no issues at all with the first shot, but felt crappy for about 12 hours after her second shot. My three granddaughters had the Phizer vaccine. Other than s sore arm, they have had no issues at all.

Like Trishyla said, the sense of relief has been the most noticeable effect. I wish you luck with your decision

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 753
    edited August 2021
    Options

Moderna April/May. Sore arm. That's it. About a month after I think I was having an immune response to something as I was out and about finally mask-less. It could have been any number of things I breathed in. Felt generally unwell for about a day and a half. Took some time off at home rested and nothing since. Good luck to you.

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,626
    edited August 2021
    Options

I got the Pfizer vaccine in March (March 10 and March 31). After both shots, I had a sore arm and that was it. Best wishes!

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited August 2021
    Options

Both DH and I had Modern a in Feb/Mar. Arm was a little sore, a bit tired next day after 2nd injection. Nothing dramatic. Agree with others about the sense of relief, especially now that we are once again in the midst of a surge.

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 289
    edited August 2021
    Options

My spouse and I had skin rashes after receiving the Pfizer vaccine. I had the vaccine in Feb and March. After the first injection, I had a skin rash on both lower legs. I went to see the dermatologist before the 2nd injection. Preliminary I was diagnosed with a livedo reticularis. I had a bunch of tests that came back negative for all sorts of explanations. I had a difficult time deciding to have the 2nd injection, which I did despite my condition being worrisome. I would say by mid April, no longer having the rash. The dermatologist believes the rash basically was my bodies response and not to be alarmed. My spouse had covid arm after the first injection approx 7 days later and went away before the 2nd injection. Basically he was informed the same thing, bodies response to the injection. He did not have this response to the second injection. Even though we both had adverse reactions, I would do it again, so would my spouse. However I am not ready to consider a "booster" unless there is compelling evidence to do the same.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,764
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had both doses of Pfizer back in March. Sore arm and about 12 hours of fatigue after dose number 2. I was so happy! I felt as if I’d won the lottery. I’d do it again in a heartbeat and I sincerely hope that science prevails.

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited August 2021
    Options

My husband and I both had vaccinations in March and early April. His was Moderna; mine was Pfizer. Our reactions were very similar, a little tired and a sore upper arm after the first one. After the 2nd we each had mild flu-like symptoms, very tired, a bit achy, a low fever, all of which cleared by 30 hours later.

Your doctor is the best one to recommend whether or not you should be vaccinated, given your health and other personal circumstances. . Please consult with your doc and make the decision based on professional expertise.

• B-A-P
    B-A-P Member Posts: 409
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had Pfizer in May with zero issue but a sore arm. I had moderna in July ( In Canada there was a shortage and were basically encouraged to get what you're given as there was no guarantee there would ever be enough supply to wait for the same vaccine you were given the first time). After Moderna, my arm was wicked sore, and about 12 hours after I got tired, achy, and ended up with a fever. It lasted about 20 hours if I had to guess, but I didn't feel terrible.

I will say I am experiencing some health issues, but they began before the vaccine, so I don't consider them related at all. I would get the vaccine again if I had to.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,134
    edited September 2021
    Options

After months of extreme stress and fear of Covid and death, as someone who worked in a school from Sept 2020 through June 2021 with in person learning and daily Covid + students and/or staff, I finally was able to get a vaccine in March. (Not before I had a mental breakdown from the stress, from which I am still not fully recovered from. Unless you were an essential worker who had no access to all the protection the medical community was given, you wouldn't understand. )

I had to go with J & J because I was told to get first one I could and the state governor of PA set up school employees to get the J & J vaccine. I only got a sore arm, no different than what I get with a flu shot.

I am looking into getting a Pfizer vaccine because I don't have high confidence in J & J.

All my siblings, children and their spouses were vaccinated with Pfizer or Mederna. (sorry the r and n look like m) None got sick from the second shot.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited August 2021
    Options

My immediate family and extended family are all vaccinated. My SIL (stage I BC) is a COVID nurse and was one of the first to be vaccinated.

My husband had Astrazeneca/Pfizer, and my 2 adult daughters had Pfizer. All 3 had fatigue for less than 2 days.

I had my first Moderna shot in April that triggered a severe skin rash away from the injection site. We believe this is a result of getting the vaccine during my Ibrance cycle (lowers blood counts/causes rashes) while I already had a rash from a bug bite. After the shot the rash spread even more. It started to heal during 3 weeks off of Ibrance, but then it got worse after I started Ibrance again. I stopped Ibrance, and the rash has healed with the help of prescription ointments. I considered not getting the second dose until I saw the Delta variant was causing serious illness unless fully vaccinated. I got the second dose of Moderna 12 days ago. I had chills the first night and woke up warm the next morning. I got my shots in my thigh and did get the inflamed injection site both times that lasted less than a week. Tylenol and ice packs helped. In the first few days I put steroid cream on an emerging rash to nip it in the bud. Throughout all this my LE arm was unaffected.

I'm at a large cancer centre, and they've had no one else react like I did. I am prone to rashes, and I've had worse. I was scared to get the second dose, but I felt prepared to handle the side effects and did.

I'm relieved that I've been able to get both doses, but I think my family feels better. They're less worried about possibly bringing the virus home. If it happens, I'm less likely to be hospitalized.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2021
    Options

2x Pfizer, sore arm for about 12h, that's it.

Dh astra zeneca + Pfizer. Dd 2x Pfizer. Ds 2x moderna. Nobody had any rxns other than sore arm.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had 2 Phizer jabs, sore arm a day or 2 like a flu shot. No other issues. Son in law got Moderna, flattened him for 36 hours.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021
    Options

Jo - The risk of a rash is extra worrisome for you. For me getting the rash was very uncomfortable, but not as life threatening. I considered not getting the second dose, and at first my MO didn't want me to get it. With the push to loosen restrictions and the new variants being more transmissible, I felt there was a good chance I'd be exposed eventually to the virus. The virus can also trigger a rash among other things.

It's up to you to weigh your risks. If you decide to get the vaccine, I recommend getting it in your thigh and have prescription creams/ointments ready to apply at the first sign of a rash. Perhaps a dermatologist can recommend a cream for your skin graft.

• trishyla
    edited August 2021
    Options

I also want to add that I believe I had Covid19 in November 2019, before it was known what it was. I've never felt worse in my life, not even during the worst of my eleven months of chemo or when I had a completely collapsed lung after my mastectomy.

The fatigue was crushing. I could barely lift my head off a pillow, and I felt I was trying to breathe with concrete in my lungs. By Covid19 standards, that would be considered a relatively mild case. I can't imagine it being worse than that.

I've also known two people who died of Covid19. The first was a neighbor who was also a science teacher at our high school. He got sick during our worst surge in October 2020. He spent three days in a tent in a hospital parking lot because there were no beds available anywhere in the hospital. This wasn't some rinky dink little rural hospital. This was a major trauma center in Los Angeles. He lingered for two months on a ventilator before he finally died at the age of 56.

The other one was my neighbor of eighteen years; the kindest human being I've ever known. She was raised as a Seventh Day Adventist and didn't think she needed the vaccine. She thought her immune system was strong enough to protect her. It didn't and she died fighting to breathe. She'd be here today if she'd had the vaccine. I miss her terribly.

I know there are concerns about the vaccine when you have other health issues. But the reality of Covid19 is far, far worse for most people than the side effects of the vaccine.

Trish

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had both doses of Pfizer in Jan 2021 (first responder). The first one gave me a sore arm for about 2-3 days. The second gave me a sore arm for about a week. It didn't impact any daily activity, but was sore if I touched the injection site.

I have had absolutely no side effect from the vaccine over the last 7 months and given the chance, I'd do it a million times again. I'm waiting for the booster to be offered and I will be one of the first to stand in line and roll up my sleeve.

edited to fix spelling error

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had the Moderna, first dose in January second in February. The morning after the first dose I had a sore arm and a headache. The morning after the second dose I had a slightly less sore arm but a worse headache that lasted a chunk of the day.

I have friends who had other side effects, digestive, etc, but no one whose side effects lasted more than two days. Most of my friends either had no side effects or less than a full day of side effects. (I'm a teacher, so many of us got vaccinated pretty early on and we did all talk about it).

I haven't had any health issues since the vaccine. I'm very glad I got it and if there are boosters I'll be very glad to add those too.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited August 2021
    Options

My husband and I had Pfizer. My DH who is healthy had no side effects other than a sore arm. The next day of the first vaccine, I woke up with severe neuropathy on my hands and feet that lasted for a couple of days. Hands got better, feet are slightly better. Second dose, dizzy and couldn't leave the room. The next day, it felt better but after few months of vaccine, I am not the same. I only take letrozole. I wonder if the vaccine triggers few things in certain people. Or it may be just a coincidence. I asked the doctor, they just don't have enough data.

I don't want to scare you, I do believe there are more pros than cons. The majority of people are very happy with the vaccine results.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had Pfizer shots in March and April. Slightly sore arm first time, more sore the second, but I already have arm pain issues so it was just more noticeable.

It's an interesting thread to read, but I'm really curious why anyone would want to hear from strangers on a web site but doesn't want any links from science sites or epidemiologists.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,134
    edited August 2021
    Options

JO, you need to seek out and follow the advice of the doctor in charge of the skin graft, since that seems to be what is causing you (and your doctor) concern. Your care team is who knows how to best advise you. The day will come when you can get the vaccine without a lot of worry, but that day doesn't seem like it is "now."

You can do many things to limit your risk of getting Covid which I am sure you are already doing. Most importantly, keep your hands clean and wear a mask when you are around any unvaccinated person or go to a place where people are gathered indoors.

I think the only reason I did not get Covid prior to being vaccinated was due to washing my hands and wearing a mask! I was around so many who tested positive!

One thing I do know, everyone here will support you in whatever you need to do! Please stick around and keep us updated!

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had the Moderna Vaccine. Dose 1 in February, no symptoms except the sore arm and about 36 hours of increased fatigue. Dose 2 in March, just the sore arm and fatigue again for about 48 hours.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,764
    edited August 2021
    Options

Jo,

Your medical issues not withstanding, things that you read on blogs are anecdotes. Anyone can write whatever they want and there will be no data to back it up. Who is afraid to speak out and why would they be afraid? What things do scientists and epidemiologists disagree on regarding the vaccine?

Look, even aspirin can have adverse effects for some. If you don't have faith in science or evidence based research (which is not perfect!) that's your prerogative. But I simply can't understand putting greater weight on blogs, things you've heard without verification orother anecdotal evidence.

• typhoon
    typhoon Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2021
    Options

Pfizer, first one in Feb, second one in early March. Both times I had slight soreness at the injection site for a couple of hours, and that's it. All of my colleagues (100+, we all got our shots at the same time/place), all of my health care providers, all of my family, and most of my friends are vaccinated. If anyone had a reaction to the shots, it wasn't significant enough to mention or severe enough to keep them out of the office or away from normal activities.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021
    Options

Jo - Seems like you're not really considering getting the vaccine but just looking for bad reactions to justify your decision. Whatever. But have your daughter check into magnesium supplements if she's got heart palpitations and eye tics.

• trishyla
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hopefully it will sway them to do the smart thing, wrenn, and get the vaccine.

• abigailj
    abigailj Member Posts: 101
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had Pfizer - first shot mi-March, second one beginning of April - a little arm soreness both times, got very sleepy a few hours after second shot, had long nap, nothing else and no new symptoms of any kind since then.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited August 2021
    Options

Jo - Glad your daughter is feeling better, but in your earlier post you were blaming the vaccine for her magnesium deficiency. It's pretty common and even if it were due to the vaccine, easily fixed.

Just to be clear: I had a rare and severe side effect after the first dose. Still had the second dose with few side effects. The possible side effects from the vaccine are nowhere near as bad as the side effects from cancer treatments. But the possible side effects from catching the virus are quite similar to the side effects of cancer treatments. Who wants to double up on that?

• erento
    erento Member Posts: 187
    edited August 2021
    Options

Your daughter needs to see a cardiologist, even if she's feeling better. It's not right to speculate and assume that it's the vaccine, heart palpitation in a young woman is not at all normal.

"something is just not right". Sure, this has anti-vax written all over it. The best I've heard was from a woman who said that she read on some blog or another that everyone who got vaccinated will die in two years. How exciting!

To answer the question, I had two Pfizer shots in May and my only side effect was sore arm. Among the people around me, side effects ranged from sore arm, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, muscle ache and severe dizziness in once case. They all resolved themselves.

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Received first dose of Pfizer in Jan. Second dose was Feb 10. Sore arm and just a little bit of fatigue next day after both doses. Looking forward to getting a booster hopefully in next few days once CDC issues guidance.