Topic: Rant away about COVID, the vaccine, etc.

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Aug 27, 2021 10:00PM - edited Sep 3, 2021 07:56PM by kbl

Posted on: Aug 27, 2021 10:00PM - edited Sep 3, 2021 07:56PM by kbl

kbl wrote:

Covid discussion.

De Novo ILC - No primary found. Mets to full spine, femurs, skull, and stomach. Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 6/24/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy 9/27/2021 Other

Page 7 of 71 (709 results)

Aug 28, 2021 06:41PM beesie.is.out-of-office wrote:

KBL, as I noted, the article I posted was 2 years old, and it notes that the list of trials was as of May 5th 2017.

For a more up-to-date list, go to the Clinical Trials website and input "Breast Cancer" and "mRNA". When I did that, 74 trials came up. I downloaded a PDF of the list of trials; it's 12 pages long so this is just one page:

Here's a link to my search:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=Breast+Cancer&term=mRNA&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=

Aug 28, 2021 06:45PM olma61 wrote:

I have to say I’m surprised when I see reports of health care settings where masks aren’t being worn.

Every medical office, cancer center, hospital, etc that I’ve been to is enforcing masking for both patients and workers.

Not just oncology units - everywhere, including the hospital lobby

10/30/2017 Xgeva for bone mets 5/31/2018 Taxol finished! "If one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right” - Kierkegaard Dx 8/3/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC Targeted Therapy 10/28/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/28/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/30/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 5/14/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/30/2019 External Local Metastases 5/30/2019 Radiation therapy: Bone

Aug 28, 2021 06:48PM kbl wrote:

Beesie, I will do that. Thank you.

De Novo ILC - No primary found. Mets to full spine, femurs, skull, and stomach. Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 6/24/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy 9/27/2021 Other

Aug 28, 2021 07:17PM kbl wrote:

I do have a question. I have tried to figure out the VAERS system, but it doesn’t play nice with a smartphone.

Why do the news stations only report deaths? Why can’t we hear stories of survival? Why can’t they report how many have died after receiving the vaccine? Why can’t they report adverse reactions and what they were? Why do they have to make it so difficult for a layperson to find this information? I am trying to find reputable sources other than the CDC and WHO. Are there any other reputable sources? I don’t want media stations. As I said, they report death and make it look like anyone who gets it dies. I will have to try to go on my laptop and see if I can figure out the VAERS system.

Aug 28, 2021 07:18PM kbl wrote:

I do have a question. I have tried to figure out the VAERS system, but it doesn’t play nice with a smartphone.

Why do the news stations only report deaths? Why can’t we hear stories of survival? Why can’t they report how many have died after receiving the vaccine? Why can’t they report adverse reactions and what they were? Why do they have to make it so difficult for a layperson to find this information? Those questions are regarding news media.

I am trying to find reputable sources other than the CDC and WHO. Are there any other reputable sources? I don’t want media stations. As I said, they report death and make it look like anyone who gets it dies. I will have to try to go on my laptop and see if I can figure out the VAERS system.

Aug 28, 2021 07:37PM - edited Aug 28, 2021 07:55PM by exbrnxgrl

KBL,

What sources other than the CDC or WHO would you consider acceptable/reliable? Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of any other comprehensive, national/international health agencies that would fit the bill. As far as VAERS goes, it may be a starting point for spotting trends but it has one enormous problem…anyone can report adverse reactions on VAERS without verification.

“Anyone can report events to VAERS (vaers.hhs.gov/reportevent.html) and a disclaimer on the CDC's website says: "The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable" (here ). When downloading the data, users are presented with a further disclaimer that the data do not include information from investigations into reported cases. The disclaimer also says "the inclusion of events in VAERS data does not imply causality" (here ).

Reuters explored this lack of causality in other fact check articles visible here , here and here .

Missing context. The posts show number of VAERS death reports out of context to falsely claim that thousands of U.S. vaccine recipients who died after getting the vaccine died as a result of getting the vaccine."
Additionally, this statement appears as part of the disclaimer on the VAERS site:

“While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness.“

So although I think it is helpful in finding unexpected trends, inaccurate, incomplete, coincidental, and unverifiable are clear caveats to the reader that reaching conclusions based on their data does not imply causality. More importantly, unverifiable is a big red flag.

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 28, 2021 07:56PM - edited Aug 28, 2021 07:57PM by kbl

Thank you, exbrnxgirl. I am trying to find credible information. I will keep researching WHO and CDC, along with trying to find more credible information. I was just looking at a chart of where I live and New York. If it's correct, they have around 9 million people who are not vaccinated, and my state has 11 million. I would have thought with the vaccine mandate in New York, their vaccinated number would have been much higher. They have 19.5 million people and we have 21.5 million. Again, that's if it's a credible chart.

Why does the CDC point you to the VAERS system if it’s not really accurate

Aug 28, 2021 08:27PM - edited Aug 28, 2021 08:28PM by olma61

I think I saw a question above, the gist of which was -how can people who mistrust the vaccine trust a horse de-wormer.

A few thoughts - I'm not an Ivermectin advocate but first, Ivermectin is an approved anti-parasitic medication for use by humans, both here in the USA and worldwide. It is also used in animals and the animal version is over the counter, unlike the human version.

Ivermectin, to my knowledge, first became associated with COVID therapy because reports from India and Argentina indicated that it *might* be effective. I just visited clinicaltrials.gov and did a search for

Condition: COVID 19

Other terms: Ivermectin

And a bunch of results come up from around the world. If I narrow the search to United States, I still see current trials that are currently recruiting. So, the idea that an anti parasitical medication *may* possibly be effective is perhaps not that far fetched?

At least, some researchers think it's a hypothesis worth falsifying. That is what science does.

Again, I'm not advocating or agreeing with Ivermectin-for-COVID advocates, whom I believe are misguided at best and unscrupulous at worst. I'm just saying, this is where the idea came from.

So anyway, why are some people taking it in the veterinary formula? Because it's over the counter.

When you can't get a doctor to prescribe what you want, or can't afford it, you do what you feel is necessary.

The sad reality is...it is fairly common for uninsured people to take veterinary medications if they can't afford prescription pharmaceuticals . I know someone who ordered veterinary antibiotics off Amazon because she couldn't afford to see a doctor. Wasn't me...I wouldn't do that. The worst I've ever done was use an old tube of toradex (eye antibiotic) on my infected finger. My point is - it might not be the first time taking vet meds for some of these people, out of necessity. And see also, the aforementioned dog dewormer.

They fear the vaccine but they don't fear a simple generic drug that they know hasn't killed their livestock. That, I believe, is the logic.

I think it's better to try to understand people's fears and motivations rather than scoff at them. Not saying anyone here does that...I do see a lot of it on social media though. If people in power want to overcome vaccine hesitancy, understanding and clear unbiased information, should be the message.

10/30/2017 Xgeva for bone mets 5/31/2018 Taxol finished! "If one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right” - Kierkegaard Dx 8/3/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC Targeted Therapy 10/28/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/28/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/30/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 5/14/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/30/2019 External Local Metastases 5/30/2019 Radiation therapy: Bone

Aug 28, 2021 08:35PM wrenn wrote:

Mini rant...I wonder how much of the anti vax movement in the US is related to the shitty health care system? I HATE that people can't get what they need without having to worry about money. This site has opened my eyes to this and it is heart breaking. I was sad at first but now I'm just mad. As if medical issues aren't stressful enough.

There is no option for Metaplastic under subtypes so hopefully new people searching for Metaplastic can find it in sigs. Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right): Simple Dx IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 28, 2021 08:41PM olma61 wrote:

Doctors choosing not to treat the unvaccinated- are they refusing to treat people they think might be contagious or are they choosing not to treat people as punishment?

Personally, I have not heard credible reports of this actually happening but I have seen plenty of mean people online saying it should happen.

If a health care worker is afraid someone is contagious they could require a COVID test before treating the person.

But to refuse to treat because you disapprove of their behavior? Where do we draw the line on that? You smoked for 20 years so no lung cancer treatment? You drank so no liver transplant...okay, we actually do that but they aren’t denied all care and it isn’t up to provider to decide where they are placed on a transplant list. You’re obese,,,too bad about your heart disease.

You smoke in bed...firefighters won’t help you if your house burns down. A stupid choice, no doubt. But that person still receives services where I’m from

Page 7 of 71 (709 results)

Scroll to top button