Topic: How has the Pandemic affected you as a cancer patient/survivor

Forum: All things COVID-19 or coronavirus — A place to discuss the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on you and the ones you love.

Posted on: Sep 9, 2021 01:58AM

Posted on: Sep 9, 2021 01:58AM

trishyla wrote:

Has the Pandemic substantially impacted your life as a current or former cancer patient? Please post your stories; heartbreaking, frustrating, even uplifting.

If you post anything about treatments, cures, vaccinations, hospitalizations or deaths, please back it up with research from accepted, credible sources. Your Uncle's neighbor's third wife who posted a crazy conspiracy theory on Facebook is not a credible source.

Angry, passionate, sad are all acceptable, disrespectful is not.

Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 8/5/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Page 45 of 145 (1,447 results)

Sep 24, 2021 03:41PM sadiesservant wrote:

Well Divine,

I also haven’t researched extensively but our Public Health Officer bluntly stated two days ago that it is physiologically impossible for the vaccines to cause infertility. She also stated that there is no evidence of risk to the child from the vaccine but considerable risk to mother/child from a Covid infection.

Dx 4/2001, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/10 nodes, ER+ Surgery 5/11/2001 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/8/2001 CEF Radiation Therapy 12/17/2001 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2001 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2007 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/22/2007 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 1/3/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/27/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/29/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 4/20/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 10/12/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to other Chemotherapy 10/21/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2017 External Local Metastases 11/15/2017 Radiation therapy: Bone Hormonal Therapy 1/19/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Radiation Therapy 8/2/2018 External Local Metastases 8/2/2018 Radiation therapy: Bone Radiation Therapy 11/5/2018 External Local Metastases 11/5/2018 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 10/10/2019 Verzenio Radiation Therapy 11/3/2020 External Local Metastases 11/3/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Dx 1/22/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/4/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 10/8/2021 Other Chemotherapy 1/7/2022 Other

Sep 24, 2021 04:27PM wrenn wrote:

Simone you said "I will be interested to see, as I have said before, real peer reviewed data on reinfection rates of people who have had the natural infection."

It would be helpful if you would include the peer reviewed data on the points you claimed on the two paragraphs before this statement. Thanks.

Triple Negative Metaplastic. I had one dose of Cytoxan/Taxotere and was then cut off due to complications. Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Simple; Mastectomy (Right): Simple

Sep 24, 2021 04:31PM sunshinegal wrote:

How the pandemic has affected me:

I skipped my March 2020 annual checkup due to lockdown. Had I kept the appointment, maybe my recurrence would have been caught sooner. Instead, it was discovered in March 2021. My biopsy was the first time I was indoors with non-immediate-family members in a year. It was surreal.

All of my cancer doc appts have been in person; I live in a state that has handled things pretty well (Massachusetts). We had lots of restrictions prior to summer 2021; things loosened up in summer; now we're back to an indoor mask mandate. I'm double vaxxed, not sure if I will get a booster. RO and MO both say I'm not particularly immunocompromised and a third shot is up to me.

We were extremely conservative all the way up to summer 2021, but we did then take advantage of things opening up over the summer and had some fun. We traveled to see my parents in Nebraska (both fully vaxxed Fox News devotees) (go figure), and then took a week vacation in Maine last month.

Personally, I feel well protected being fully vaxxed and wearing a mask. Thanks to the mask mandate I'm never indoors with unmasked unvaxxed people. We've eaten at indoor restaurants almost not-at-all. Our public school district has been extremely responsible, and our kids have been able to be at school full time since October 2020. Masking, social distancing, hand washing, fresh air circulation, pooled testing, and contact tracing have prevented any in-school COVID transmissions from occurring.

I teach at the university level and we are back to on-campus classroom teaching. The university has vaccine, masking, and testing mandates and I am comfortable with these protocols.

I am eager for the vaccine to be approved for kids 5-12 so my kids can finally get vaxxed. I do understand we are taking some risks of exposing our kids, but on balance we've weighed out the risks and are comfortable with the level of risk we are currently taking.

Dx 10/7/2010, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 3/22/2021, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 24, 2021 04:36PM wrenn wrote:

Sunshinegal. I'm sorry to hear about your recurrence and especially at this time and having diagnosis delayed. Thank you for your story on how it going for you. It is good to read about how things usually work out when people are being cautious and reasonable. It just makes it seem so doable and I wish more people could do the same.

Triple Negative Metaplastic. I had one dose of Cytoxan/Taxotere and was then cut off due to complications. Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Simple; Mastectomy (Right): Simple

Sep 24, 2021 05:41PM serenitystat wrote:

FB anti-vaxxers pushing members to avoid the hospitals? 🤔 OK!

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/vigilante-treatments-anti-vaccine-groups-push-people-leave-icus-rcna2233

Not OK. We just got hydrogen peroxide in the large bottles again. Don't want another shortage.

"Almost all pregnant moms in this situation lose their babies"

🌻 🇺🇦 BCO leaked our private data. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ . . . . . "Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶Dx.11/2015.IDC.L.IIIC.10/11nodes.++- ☕️12/2015.L.Mast 🛀2/2016.4AC.12Taxol.fasted 🖼9/2016.Rads.Nodes.ChestWall.15+4boosts 🥐10/2016.Tamox(2.5y) 🌲4/2019.Exemestane 🎭12/2019.Ibrance/Xgeva 🕊

Sep 24, 2021 06:25PM wrenn wrote:

This is our current ICU bed situation in the province of BC.

Sep 24, 2021 06:29PM chowdog wrote:

Always, in that cdc study, one of the concerns about natural immunity is the duration. They didn’t go deep about the outcome of those got reinforced. There are might be ongoing studies about that but as you know cdc is slow at releasing data. I did read one news story someone got reinfected for the 3rd time (this time with delta) and ended up on vent. I can’t find the link though.

As for those who had covid receiving 1 dose instead of 2, cdc currently recommends those had covid to get both doses. I suspect one of reasons is operational. I assume those who had covid will provide proof, so here is an extrastep for these people and vaccine administrator to take.

Dx 6/2007, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/2/2007 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Chemotherapy 8/15/2007 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2008 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin) Dx 2/12/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to brain/bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/12/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/19/2018 External Local Metastases 3/19/2018 Brain Targeted Therapy 4/9/2018 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 4/9/2018 Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Sep 24, 2021 06:39PM serenitystat wrote:

It does seem easier to get 2 doses than provide proof of infection first. Definitely an issue for travel.

🌻 🇺🇦 BCO leaked our private data. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ . . . . . "Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶Dx.11/2015.IDC.L.IIIC.10/11nodes.++- ☕️12/2015.L.Mast 🛀2/2016.4AC.12Taxol.fasted 🖼9/2016.Rads.Nodes.ChestWall.15+4boosts 🥐10/2016.Tamox(2.5y) 🌲4/2019.Exemestane 🎭12/2019.Ibrance/Xgeva 🕊

Sep 24, 2021 06:43PM moth wrote:

Pregnant women and women trying to conceive who are refusing the COVID vaccine are buying into the same misinformation problems that other covid anti vaxxers are being sucked into. The fact is all major health authorities and national societies of obstetricians and gynecologists have put out statements saying these vaccines are safe for women intending to be pregnant, and for pregnant and breastfeeding women. They wouldn't be recommending these vaccines if they were not considered to be generally safe.

• ACOG recommends that pregnant individuals be vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • Claims linking COVID-19 vaccines to infertility are unfounded and have no scientific evidence supporting them. ACOG recommends vaccination for all eligible people who may consider future pregnancy.
https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/pr...
I think the reality is people have a difficult time with risk assessment and that for some some rare theoretical risk becomes almost an obsessive fear. When authorities say that a vaccine is safe that doesn't mean it is 100% safe there will be some people who might have adverse effects. It means it is considered generally safe and the benefits are outweighing any potential risk but there haven't been very many studies to show any potential risk for pregnant or breastfeeding women. And the mechanisms for fertility and the mRNA vaccine are completely unconnected. I suspect it is poorly educated people who are getting confused with RNA and DNA and knowing that these things are somehow important and then conflating that into oh it's changing my genes, it's gonna affect my baby. I'm honestly worried about a larger sort of issue with the erosion of trust in governments, in institutions, in large scientific organisations and something that the author Tom Nichols calls "the death of expertise". It is hard to see how society and civilization continues if we have a large enough sector of people who have zero interest in accepting & pooling knowledge and using that knowledge for similar purpose & goals.
I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/16/2020 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External Local Metastases 3/3/2021 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 1/1/2022 Trodelvy (sacituzumab govitecan-hziy) Chemotherapy 6/1/2022 Other

Sep 24, 2021 06:50PM - edited Sep 24, 2021 06:54PM by alwaysmec

Wow, nebulizing over the counter hydrogen peroxide!!! Just why would anyone trust that?

In other news, our state (with one of the highest vaccination rates) has not been able to get the full 1600 doses of monoclonal antibodies a week that they have been requesting. It's particularly important because patients need to be given infusions within the 3 to 10 day window after a positive test, and before symptoms become severe.

Guess who is using up most of the treatment, prompting the administration to create a centralized distribution? Seven states - "Alabama, Florida, Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, and Louisiana." So even if other states like ours are taking many measures to prevent transmission and keep our hopitals from being overrun, our citizens aren't getting the treatments we need because the states with governments that are refusing mandates are hogging them. They are selfish through and through. A recent Q and A with one of the state physicians even said that the shortage caused some people last week to miss out on that valuable treatment due to timing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/monoclonal-antibodies-covid-19-treatment-florida-texas-states/

Chemotherapy 4/29/2021 Other Targeted Therapy 4/29/2021 Kanjinti Targeted Therapy 4/29/2021 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/2/2021 Phesgo (pertuzumab, trastuzumab, and hyaluronidase-zzxf) Targeted Therapy 9/20/2021 Herceptin (hylecta) Surgery 9/23/2021 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Chemotherapy 11/12/2021 Other Targeted Therapy 5/3/2022 Phesgo (pertuzumab, trastuzumab, and hyaluronidase-zzxf) Dx IDC/DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+, ISH, IHC

Page 45 of 145 (1,447 results)

Scroll to top button