Join Us

We are 220,251 members in 84 forums discussing 161,853 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Just Diagnosed with Metaplastic BC in reconstructed DIEP Breast

Forum: Metaplastic Breast Cancer (MpBC) —

Join others to talk about Metaplastic Breast Cancer, or MpBC, a sub-type of breast cancer. This forum will be moderated by volunteers of The Metaplastic Breast Cancer Global Alliance.

Posted on: Feb 20, 2021 08:58AM - edited Feb 20, 2021 08:59AM by Carpe-Diem

Carpe-Diem wrote:

Hello - I previously had IDC and LBC breast cancer in 2014 and went through chemotherapy, mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction. I had been taking anastrazol (Arimidex) since 2017. Everything looked fine until a suspicious area showed up on first MRI (since 2014 treatment done in February 20120. Drs were unable to do a biopsy because so close to the chest wall. Then COVID happened and we decided to wait for 6 months for MRI in October which showed this irregular mass had grown. Went in for an excision biopsy on December 7th, 2020. The original pathology determined it to be a sarcoma possibly due to radiation. Went to a different hospital with a sarcoma program. On January 22nd, had surgery for removal of tumor and resection of chest wall and the biopsy of the tumor determined that I have metaplastic BC triple negative. Luckily the surgery didn't require removal of my ribs because they obtained clean margin. But clean margin on chest wall was only 1 mm. Sarcoma diagnosis had no treatment options other than surgery but with a diagnosis of BC I have some options for treatment. My oncologist gave me the choice of getting proton therapy radiation (second time the breast area is receiving radiation) or a thoroctamy surgery (removal of two ribs). I am opting for the radiation treatment as it is less severe than the surgery. And I need to get additional chemotherapy. Before we go onto treatment, my breast surgeon and I have decided to remove the remainder of the breast as it is going to get harder and more deformed with radiation. I think I'm going flat and don't want additional reconstruction surgeries which are not that successful post-radiation (at least in my experience).

I thought it is important for me to write about it because as more folks are diagnosed with MpBC, it will help them navigate in this area. I know MpBC is very rare and there are not many of us but wondering if any of you were diagnosed with it in a second go around with BC or are aware of it growing in a reconstructed DIEP flap breast? Also interested in hearing your experiences and how you have managed with this cancer? It has certainly thrown me for a loop and I'm trying to learn as much as I can and move forward. It has been rather all consuming since there is no standard treatment regiment for this kind of BC.

Dx 12/12/2013, ILC/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/3/2014 AC Chemotherapy 2/27/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 5/12/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy 6/30/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/9/2014

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Feb 22, 2021 12:16PM Rosiecat wrote:

Hello Carpe-Diem,

I was diagnosed with triple negative metaplastic breast cancer two and a half years ago. No recurrence, but as the risk of recurrence is so high with metaplastic I decided against breast reconstruction. I wanted to be able to see and feel any problems as soon as they occurred. Going flat on one side has been fairly doable and I don't regret my choice, I use a gel prosthesis when going out, but don't bother otherwise.

Treatment for metaplastic cancer is tricky as it is often chemotherapy resistant. I was told that taxanes could be effective to some degree and I was given 3 rounds of Docetaxel. Who knows if FEC chemo worked at all, but I was given this first, very soon after my mastectomy. I was told that I wouldn't be offered radiotherapy as I'd had a mastectomy. I would have preferred to have had the option though as my surgery only gave me a 3mm clear margin.

Metaplastic breast cancer is very rare and very aggressive, but many women do survive. I'm hoping to be one of them and I hope you are too.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Gill X

Dx 8/24/2018, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/17/2018 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/21/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Feb 22, 2021 04:41PM Carpe-Diem wrote:

Hello Rosiecat -- Thank you for responding. It amazes me how few of us there are. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that it is difficult to diagnose sometimes. I am glad that so far you are doing well. I am going in this Friday for surgery, and will be starting chemotherapy in three to four weeks. Recommended regiment for me is Cytoxan and Taxotere - four rounds three weeks apart. I am hoping it is effective.

Again, I appreciate your reply and the positive words. We march forward.

Dx 12/12/2013, ILC/IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/3/2014 AC Chemotherapy 2/27/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 5/12/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy 6/30/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/9/2014

21 hours ago Rosiecat wrote:

Hello Carpe-Diem,

Sending my best wishes for Friday. Surgery is our best line of defence with metaplastic - which is why I opted for mastectomy rather than lumpectomy. I just wanted the whole breast gone. I have absolutely no regrets about that decision.

I have a friend in Canada who is now more than five years out from her diagnosis of metaplastic breast cancer. That is five years after a recurrence along the line of her lumpectomy scar. If she can beat it, so can we.

You'll get through this, just keep ploughing on.

Gill X

Dx 8/24/2018, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/17/2018 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/21/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)