Topic: Success Stories!

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 12:41PM

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 12:41PM

carmelle wrote:

Every now and then I read a post on this forum that talks about somebody who has lived a long time with disease. I know there have even been threads with many node positive success stories and stage IV survival stories.
These have been the most uplifting influences for me on my journey.
In a world of breast cancer where medical staff are so reluctant to offer hope and even we ourselves cannot always see the light I think it would be great to have a compilation of good stories that we could put in our drawer and take out for those days when the "scared" comes out too strongly.Then read just enough to spark that hope again.
I am trying to put together these stories in a booklet format and would love it if anybody could email me stories they know that can shed light on our path.
Here is my email: carmelle@bwr.eastlink.ca
I would love to hear from you.
Michelle

update: 02/23/03
glad to see all the stories. just wanted to say that the booklet idea was just an idea. i think the posts do a great job on their own don't you?
let's keep this to the front if we can for any new people to read or add to. barb, you are excellent for not letting this get lost.
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 12 of 158 (1,575 results)

Apr 13, 2004 11:52AM Sachi wrote:

moving this back to the top!

B
Sachi

Apr 13, 2004 01:01PM raven81 wrote:

Denisa--thank you for sharing that story. It's just what I needed right now to give me hope!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to God Dx 10/30/2003, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 16, 2004 06:33AM pmack93 wrote:

Shortly after my diagnosis I discovered that one of my coworkers is a 20 year survivor. She told me she had 10 positive lymph nodes. She underwent a radical mastectomy and one year of chemo and is still working full time in her 60's. Just this past week I found out that one of the nurses in the radiation dept. is a 9yr. 8mo. survivor. Also right after I was diagnosed I received a lovely card from an elderly lady at our chuch telling me that she was diagnosed with breast ca in 1959 (the year I was born). She said she had a radical mastectomy and "cobalt" tx's and has never had another problem with it. I guess there is hope for all of us. Pam

Apr 26, 2004 04:28AM Sachi wrote:

Hi everyone, Here's a good ER- story. A friend from church had a mastectomy 11 years ago. She's doing great (just got back from a trip to Africa). I asked her a little more about her cancer yesterday when we talked and she told me she hadn't gone onto Tamox because she's ER-.

Barb
Sachi

Apr 30, 2004 08:53AM shelliks wrote:

I have been talking to a woman at radiation who is 83. She just told me that this is her second bout with bc. She had it 29 years ago in the other breast! I asked her if she had it in her lymph nodes then and she had 6 that were malignant. Unfortunately, it is in her nodes this time too(as is mine), but I found it so encouraging that she survived 29 years. I'll take 29 years!

My radiation tech told me today that her sister-in-law had it, also in her lymph nodes. She had a bone marrow transplant.....13 years ago!

Gotta love those "lymph node" success stories.

May 6, 2004 08:06AM Sachi wrote:

Back to the top with this thread so that Melissa can find you. Melissa is going to make a heading of Success Stories so this thread can go there - and I'm hoping Sierra might post her story there..... and others who are years out can post and inspire the "newbies".

Barb
Sachi

May 6, 2004 10:45AM carmelle wrote:

great news barb!
i also love the pos lymph node long term success stories. i remember my dr prepping me for pathology saying even if it's in the lymphs it doesn't mean it's travelled elsewhere or even has the ability to survive outside lymph system.
i guess that's what all of our systemic treatments are for, the chemo, and the hormonal, herceptin stuff.
i saw another twenty year story somewhere on the boards today. The woman went 10 years without recurrence and then had liver mets that went away with tamox completely and she lived another 10 years to perish from something else.
michelle
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 10, 2004 08:03AM weezer wrote:

My mom had ovarian cancer when she was 33 year's old she had three tumor's removed. My dad said when they took the tumor's out a three of them weighed 35 pound's. Last year my mother now 62 year's old was told they found something on her mamagram that ended up being nothing she's fine but I remember her sitting there before she found out and crying and saying please God dont let me have cancer I dont want to die and I want to be here to see my grandchildren grow up!! So you can imagine what she's feeling now that tree week's ago I came home and had to look at my mother and tell her that her 35 year old daughter had breast cancer. Then she was asking God to give it to her and not her daughter that had two youn children and that she was old and already lived her life. It just proved to me what a mother wouldint do for her children. I think that she is taking it harder then me.Im her only daughter and I have two brother's, so I guess being the only girl make's it harder. I had to tell her the other day that they will have to do a mast and chemo on me and she looked at me and said I cant take anymore bad new's my heart cant take it anymore. So I find myself trying to pretend to be ok with this cause I dont want my family to suffer. Thank's for listening

May 10, 2004 05:33PM beachcottage wrote:

This is a great thread...Thanks for all of the inspiring stories ladies ...Can;t wait to post ours..............................xoxo,Patti

May 15, 2004 09:00AM Judy_Mc wrote:

Just to move thread up so newbies know they can do it!

Dx 3/6/2003, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 12 of 158 (1,575 results)

Scroll to top button