Topic: Success Stories!

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 03:41PM

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 03:41PM

carmelle wrote:

Every now and then I read a post on this forum that talks about somebody who has lived a long time with disease. I know there have even been threads with many node positive success stories and stage IV survival stories.
These have been the most uplifting influences for me on my journey.
In a world of breast cancer where medical staff are so reluctant to offer hope and even we ourselves cannot always see the light I think it would be great to have a compilation of good stories that we could put in our drawer and take out for those days when the "scared" comes out too strongly.Then read just enough to spark that hope again.
I am trying to put together these stories in a booklet format and would love it if anybody could email me stories they know that can shed light on our path.
Here is my email: carmelle@bwr.eastlink.ca
I would love to hear from you.
Michelle

update: 02/23/03
glad to see all the stories. just wanted to say that the booklet idea was just an idea. i think the posts do a great job on their own don't you?
let's keep this to the front if we can for any new people to read or add to. barb, you are excellent for not letting this get lost.
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 4 of 158 (1,575 results)

Aug 11, 2003 06:41PM Louis_Jay wrote:

My aunt miriam is about 73years old and had breast cancer surgery/chemo/radiation when she was around 40yrs of age.............

Aug 11, 2003 08:23PM SuzyQue wrote:

Great topic!!! I love reading these stories. Sometimes I get bogged down in the negative "what ifs". This is a much nicer way to look at BC.

Aug 15, 2003 09:07AM carmelle wrote:

Liz,
I did not see your post till today. I do know of a lady in my Dragon Boat group who has been stage 4 breast cancer for 16+ years. I do not know about the mets to the spine as we do not really discuss these things.
Take Heart,
Michelle
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 15, 2003 09:47AM jlea wrote:

What a great idea to talk about some positive experiences! I am midway between chemo and radiation and just reading these stories has been a boost, thanks!

Aug 21, 2003 04:28PM nyawira wrote:

When I was diagnosed, I met one women diagnosed 12 years ago with 17 postive nodes. She's still kicking and looking good. I met another woman who was diagnosed five years or so ago. Just had her last appt with one of her doctors (breast surgeon?) and is doing just fine. I know another woman who was diagnosed twenty years ago and had a masectomy. She is looking and feeling good.

I'm a success story in 50 years!!!

Aug 22, 2003 09:49PM LindaCA wrote:

LOVE this topic ! I haven't been here in many months it seems. Dx in July '02. Lumpectomy, chemo, and 33 trips for radiation. I was in P.T. for shoulder trouble (impingement syndrome) when I got the BC on the other side. After my surgery, my "good shoulder" went bad also.

Two P.T.'s AND my oncologist said "You may never regain your strength or range of motion." What a heavy trip to lay on a tennis player and a 64 y/o sort of retired gal. Up in Oregon I had a short "office massage" from a woman who'd had a mastectomy. A long hard surgery. She exclaimed, "Look at me! (with her arm wayyyy up and back) "If I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT."

That was in May, and my husband had been recruited to help with some of the P.T. I was able to swim my first two laps in the condo pool up in gorgeous Depot Bay, OR. Prior to that it was only a dog paddle. We have a massage table and we were diligent about the work. I decided to add two laps every time I swam. Well, last week I swam FORTY laps. And Friday I did 28. If I go, I don't hurt. Tennis is coming back, as least I'm out there with my new "Rehab and Friends Group". Can serve overhead again.

Life is really coming along Just Great. Wishing you all full recovery ! LindaCA

I can reach the top shelves in the kitchen, open all the doors, pick up any plates or pots, fold big sheets, put on sweaters and coats, and fix my hair. It's sure a wonder how much we take for granted until we lose it.

Aug 23, 2003 03:10AM beachcottage wrote:

LINDA CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ON YOUR HARD WORK AND ACHIEVMENTS!!! I AM WORKING ON MY RANGE OF MOTION AND NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT USING THE POOL FOR REGAINING STRENGTH........YOU ARE AMAZING ADN I WILL THINK OF YOU WHEN I MAKE MY LAP DOWN THAT POOL...I AM GOING TO JOIN A GYM AND MAKE USE OF A POOL AS SOON AS I HAVE THE STRENGTH..I AM RECOVERING FROM A NASTY INFECTION THAT SETTLED IN MY SHIN....I KNOW A WOMEN IN OUR HOMETOWN WHO WAS THE VILLAGE HISTORIAN UP UNTIL LAST YEAR..SHE DECIDED TO RETIRE AT THE RIPE YOUNG AGE OF 85...SHE HAD BREAST CANCER BACK IN THE 1960'S WHICH REQUIRED A MASECTOMY...WHEN I FIRST RECEIVED MY DIAGNOSIS I WENT TO HER AND SHE WAS A GREAT SOURCE OF COMFORT AND WAS SO UPBEAT AND POSITIVE ...SHE TOLD ME THAT I WOULD BEAT THIS "THING" AND WOULD LIVE A LONG,HAPPY LIFE..............SHE SAID CANCER BROADENED HER HORIZON'S IN SO MANY WAY'S.....SHE TOLD ME THAT MY HORIZON'S WERE JUST WAITING TO EXPLODE AND I FOR ONE BELIEVE THAT WITH MY HEART AND SOUL...... PATTI

Aug 23, 2003 08:36PM LindaCA wrote:

<SHE TOLD ME THAT MY HORIZON'S WERE JUST WAITING TO EXPLODE AND I FOR ONE BELIEVE THAT WITH MY HEART AND SOUL...... PATTI>
Patti dear, * *Hold That Thought!* * I didn't quite believe that when I was in the throes, but since recovery, I am in absolute AWE at how wonderful the new days and discoveries are. Do take care of you body and your nutrition, and you will succeed.

Love and hugs and thanks for the reply, LindaCA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP

Aug 25, 2003 12:47PM Sachi wrote:

While talking with my mom-in-law this morning she mentioned 2 friends of hers who had breast cancer about 25 years ago. I hadn't known they were survivors. The ladies are now having other "old age" problems because....well....they're old! That's what we're going to be someday! Old!!

Barb
Sachi

Aug 30, 2003 09:55AM Sachi wrote:

Don't mean to monopolize this thread - but I heard another great success story yesterday. My friend's sister had brain cancer. I had never really discussed it with my friend until yesterday (she's more the mother of my daughter's friend - we don't talk a lot) ANYWAY, her sister was told she would most likely have a recurrence within 2 years. How awful to be told that! Well, that was 12 years ago and the sister is doing fine.

Barb
Sachi

Page 4 of 158 (1,575 results)

Scroll to top button