Join Us

We are 224,967 members in 83 forums discussing 163,806 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Success Stories!

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? —

Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 03:41PM

Carmelle wrote:

Every now and then I read a post on this forum that talks about somebody who has lived a long time with disease. I know there have even been threads with many node positive success stories and stage IV survival stories.
These have been the most uplifting influences for me on my journey.
In a world of breast cancer where medical staff are so reluctant to offer hope and even we ourselves cannot always see the light I think it would be great to have a compilation of good stories that we could put in our drawer and take out for those days when the "scared" comes out too strongly.Then read just enough to spark that hope again.
I am trying to put together these stories in a booklet format and would love it if anybody could email me stories they know that can shed light on our path.
Here is my email: carmelle@bwr.eastlink.ca
I would love to hear from you.
Michelle

update: 02/23/03
glad to see all the stories. just wanted to say that the booklet idea was just an idea. i think the posts do a great job on their own don't you?
let's keep this to the front if we can for any new people to read or add to. barb, you are excellent for not letting this get lost.
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 4 of 53 (1,567 results)

Posts 91 - 120 (1,567 total)

Feb 23, 2004 01:50PM LucieB wrote:

I'm loving this thread. My grandmother had breast cancer with lumpectomy and radiation when she was in her 60s and lived to be 86. Also a co-worker's mother had a double mastectomy (cancer in both) when she was in her early 70s and lived to the ripe old age of 93. When I get down, I think of these two women in particular.

Feb 24, 2004 05:24PM Uunicorn wrote:

Hi This is a great thread! It gives all hope.
I am a five year survivor. Just had a mamogram and all is clear. I hope i'lll be one of the little old ladies dying of something else!! [Smile]

Feb 24, 2004 07:24PM heidiho wrote:

My grandmother was diagnosed in her late sixties or early seventies (early 1980's) & had a mastectomy. I first saw her again about 10 years later and wondered why she was getting radiation treatments so long after her surgery. At the time, she said something about having "a positive lymph node"--I didn't really know what it meant at that time. But every time I'm agonizing about my OWN situation (6 months after treatment) and my own (one) positive lymph node...I remember that she lived to be 88 years old, more or less 17 years after her own diagnosis, dying of non-related cardiac causes.

Feb 25, 2004 05:59AM Boo wrote:

Hi all, just thought I'd add mine to the list. Haven't been here for some time - too busy living a busy life!
BC at age 35 with 2 young kids, worried about not seeing them grow-up, and grandkids etc... Now, almost 4 yrs later I feel great and have stopped letting b/c ruin my life. Finnaly accepting my body for the way it is after dbl mast. w/implants. and early menopause. Worst lasting side effect has been the "power surgesses" (hot flashes), but since switching to Femara have had less, and less intense too. To all feeling blue today - hang in there, keep your sense of humor, be positive, and tell yourself you will BEAT IT!
Best wishes to all,
Boo

Mar 1, 2004 09:37AM Sachi wrote:

We can't let this thread escape! There are so many great stories here!

Barb
Sachi

Mar 1, 2004 12:49PM jeng wrote:

My wonderful aunt just celebrated her 70th birthday. This is remarkable because she was DX 22 years ago with TERMINAL ovarian cancer. (I know this is a BC site but this is amazing). She had chemo for over a year (administered on a 3 day in-patient basis back then) and her insides were cooked - but...she beat the odds.

Mar 1, 2004 12:53PM Tinkerbell03 wrote:

So nice to read positive things!! Someday, I hope to come back to this thread & tell my success story!!

Although, soon it will be 1 year since diagnosis and that's success in itself...

Ann

Mar 2, 2004 04:38AM Veryhopeful wrote:

We all have to believe in miracles - they really do happen! Medical science can do a lot..... but can only do so much.

I LOVE reading all the stories! Keep 'em coming.

Hugs,

Savannah

Mar 2, 2004 11:50AM - edited Nov 30, 2010 10:04AM by denisa

Mar 2, 2004 11:57AM mpaulsen wrote:

I just posted on the metatstic board how depressed I was feeling. What a wonderful thread - gives me hope!

Mar 9, 2004 02:39AM Carmelle wrote:

moving to top!

Michelle
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 17, 2004 12:57PM Sachi wrote:

Bringing this topic back to the top for everyone to see.

Barb
Sachi

Mar 17, 2004 01:32PM gh wrote:

I know a fiesty 84 year old woman who was dx when she was 34. She had a mast(no chemo, don't know if she had rads)...and now, 50 YEARS LATER IS STILL CANCER-FREE, never had a reoccurance!!!!!! Her son (who became a minister) now teases her because sometimes she forgets to wear her prostesis to church! Again..50 YEARS CANCER FREE!

Mar 18, 2004 04:35AM jeng wrote:

Wow!!! What a great story! Interesting, in part because BC was so "in the closet" way back when. Ladies were afraid to touch themselves. I had a great aunt that feared cancer all her life and when she found a lump she was too embarassed to go to the doctor. You can imagine her outcome.
Question - were diagnosis' 50 years ago reliable? Did they look at lumps and really know they were cancer?

Mar 23, 2004 12:47PM Catherine wrote:

No one talked about breast cancer 50 years ago. Mammograms were the usual norm too. My grandmother said that they told her they'd do the biopsy and remove the breast, if necessary. She woke up without a breast. Gram never had reconstruction. She just bought a prosthesis. She worked at Ravenswood Hospital in Chicago for 30 years. They forced her to retire at age 80. She worked as a volunteer for other women who had surgery. One woman said, "You can tell by looking at you that you never had a sick day in your life." And Gram would tell them she was also a survivor. She said a lot of the women were happy to see that she was doing so well and that it gave them hope for their own circumstances.

Mar 31, 2004 04:26PM Sachi wrote:

moving this back to the top. Its such a great thread - we don't want it lost.

B
Sachi

Apr 5, 2004 03:44PM Sachi wrote:

ditto

Sachi

Apr 8, 2004 07:34PM rosebudd wrote:

Back to the top you go! Rosebudd

Apr 8, 2004 07:54PM Not_Me wrote:

I want to come back here and post my story thirty years or even fifty years from now. Heck, I can't wait to post 1 year from now. I have just completed radiation 26 tx today. I am feeling great and even ran 3 miles afterwards. All I can say is...you go women...we are strong!

Apr 9, 2004 05:07AM jeng wrote:

A lady in my support group has a 75 year old mom who was DX at age 35. I especially like the stories of women dx young that live on with no recurrance. I was so happy she told me about her mom.

Apr 13, 2004 02:52PM Sachi wrote:

moving this back to the top!

B
Sachi

Apr 13, 2004 04:01PM raven81 wrote:

Denisa--thank you for sharing that story. It's just what I needed right now to give me hope!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to God Dx 10/30/2003, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 16, 2004 09:33AM pmack93 wrote:

Shortly after my diagnosis I discovered that one of my coworkers is a 20 year survivor. She told me she had 10 positive lymph nodes. She underwent a radical mastectomy and one year of chemo and is still working full time in her 60's. Just this past week I found out that one of the nurses in the radiation dept. is a 9yr. 8mo. survivor. Also right after I was diagnosed I received a lovely card from an elderly lady at our chuch telling me that she was diagnosed with breast ca in 1959 (the year I was born). She said she had a radical mastectomy and "cobalt" tx's and has never had another problem with it. I guess there is hope for all of us. Pam

Apr 26, 2004 07:28AM Sachi wrote:

Hi everyone, Here's a good ER- story. A friend from church had a mastectomy 11 years ago. She's doing great (just got back from a trip to Africa). I asked her a little more about her cancer yesterday when we talked and she told me she hadn't gone onto Tamox because she's ER-.

Barb
Sachi

Apr 30, 2004 11:53AM shelliks wrote:

I have been talking to a woman at radiation who is 83. She just told me that this is her second bout with bc. She had it 29 years ago in the other breast! I asked her if she had it in her lymph nodes then and she had 6 that were malignant. Unfortunately, it is in her nodes this time too(as is mine), but I found it so encouraging that she survived 29 years. I'll take 29 years!

My radiation tech told me today that her sister-in-law had it, also in her lymph nodes. She had a bone marrow transplant.....13 years ago!

Gotta love those "lymph node" success stories.

May 6, 2004 11:06AM Sachi wrote:

Back to the top with this thread so that Melissa can find you. Melissa is going to make a heading of Success Stories so this thread can go there - and I'm hoping Sierra might post her story there..... and others who are years out can post and inspire the "newbies".

Barb
Sachi

May 6, 2004 01:45PM Carmelle wrote:

great news barb!
i also love the pos lymph node long term success stories. i remember my dr prepping me for pathology saying even if it's in the lymphs it doesn't mean it's travelled elsewhere or even has the ability to survive outside lymph system.
i guess that's what all of our systemic treatments are for, the chemo, and the hormonal, herceptin stuff.
i saw another twenty year story somewhere on the boards today. The woman went 10 years without recurrence and then had liver mets that went away with tamox completely and she lived another 10 years to perish from something else.
michelle

May 10, 2004 11:03AM weezer wrote:

My mom had ovarian cancer when she was 33 year's old she had three tumor's removed. My dad said when they took the tumor's out a three of them weighed 35 pound's. Last year my mother now 62 year's old was told they found something on her mamagram that ended up being nothing she's fine but I remember her sitting there before she found out and crying and saying please God dont let me have cancer I dont want to die and I want to be here to see my grandchildren grow up!! So you can imagine what she's feeling now that tree week's ago I came home and had to look at my mother and tell her that her 35 year old daughter had breast cancer. Then she was asking God to give it to her and not her daughter that had two youn children and that she was old and already lived her life. It just proved to me what a mother wouldint do for her children. I think that she is taking it harder then me.Im her only daughter and I have two brother's, so I guess being the only girl make's it harder. I had to tell her the other day that they will have to do a mast and chemo on me and she looked at me and said I cant take anymore bad new's my heart cant take it anymore. So I find myself trying to pretend to be ok with this cause I dont want my family to suffer. Thank's for listening

May 10, 2004 08:33PM beachcottage wrote:

This is a great thread...Thanks for all of the inspiring stories ladies ...Can;t wait to post ours..............................xoxo,Patti

May 15, 2004 12:00PM Judy_Mc wrote:

Just to move thread up so newbies know they can do it!

Dx 3/6/2003, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 53 (1,567 results)