Topic: Success Stories!

Forum: Who or What Inspires You? — Share your personal story, diagnosis, and treatment path, and stories of survival, hope, and success to encourage and inspire others!

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 03:41PM

Posted on: Jun 23, 2003 03:41PM

carmelle wrote:

Every now and then I read a post on this forum that talks about somebody who has lived a long time with disease. I know there have even been threads with many node positive success stories and stage IV survival stories.
These have been the most uplifting influences for me on my journey.
In a world of breast cancer where medical staff are so reluctant to offer hope and even we ourselves cannot always see the light I think it would be great to have a compilation of good stories that we could put in our drawer and take out for those days when the "scared" comes out too strongly.Then read just enough to spark that hope again.
I am trying to put together these stories in a booklet format and would love it if anybody could email me stories they know that can shed light on our path.
Here is my email: carmelle@bwr.eastlink.ca
I would love to hear from you.
Michelle

update: 02/23/03
glad to see all the stories. just wanted to say that the booklet idea was just an idea. i think the posts do a great job on their own don't you?
let's keep this to the front if we can for any new people to read or add to. barb, you are excellent for not letting this get lost.
Yesterday is History... Tomorrow is Mystery...Today is a gift. Dx 3/7/2003, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 6 of 158 (1,575 results)

Oct 13, 2003 10:53PM ivanna wrote:

Shortly after I was diagnosed in Dec '02 I met a woman at my docs office who is a 25 year survivor(one of my docs first patients!). I was terrified as I was waiting for chemo and she told me her amazing story. She had lymph nodes involved, not sure how many. She traveled from Bainbridge Island to Seattle all by herself to receive her chemo for 1 year. She did great for 20 years, then she was diagnosed with leukemia(don't worry there is a happy ending!). She got very sick and had hospice at her house as she prepared to die. Then one day she had a blood draw and it seemed that it was normal. She amazingly got better. The doc claimed spontaneous remission, as she was no longer receiving treatment. After all of this she was in a terrible car accident and wound up in the hospital for a year! I couldn't believe it. After all she had been through, there she was, smiling and sharing her story with me. I asked what helped her get through all of this and she replied "I have always had strong faith" . What an amazing woman! When I saw my doc he said there is a woman that I should talk to, and I replied that I already had and then he told me her story again. I was glad to hear it twice. Now I must go to watch Lance Armstrong on David Letterman!

Oct 18, 2003 12:42AM MJINMD wrote:

As I was being briefed for surgery a couple of weeks ago in the pre-op area, the daughter of an older patient also in pre-op stuck her head in and told me not to worry. She said "You'll be fine. My mother and I are both long-term cancer survivors; my mother is 93" Don't have any of the details as these were complete strangers, but they were my angels that day.

Oct 18, 2003 07:28PM erica wrote:

Another success story to add: My mother-in-law had a mastectomy plus radiation at age 31 (she was living in Europe at the time, where they were treating with radiation). She had a new cancer in the other breast at age 46, and another mastectomy. At age 77, she's outlived her husband. Only complication--severe lymphedema in one arm from radiation. A small price to pay for nearly a half-century of survival! Knowing her story really helped me at the time of my diagnosis.

BreastFree.org (breastfree.org); BreastFree Blog (breastfree.blogspot.com); Twitter @BreastFree

Oct 19, 2003 04:57PM Cherrie wrote:

These stories are so nice to read. What hope this gives to so many of us.

My au nt is 78. She had BC when she was my age at 48. She had a masectomy and colbalt treatments.
She has been healthy to this day. Her tumor was large too.

Cherrie
Dx 10/4/2002, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/21/2002 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/14/2002 Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2003 Surgery 10/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 11/12/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Oct 19, 2003 05:27PM seawolfe wrote:

My partner (Jon) has an amazing grandmother. I dont know the timing of it all, but she has had every sort of cancer and beaten it all over the last 40 years. Mastectomy, hysterectomy, lung cancer, brain cancer (I think I am missing one or two)! She hiked the John Muir trail when she was 80! She had a hard time with the whole brain radiation 2 years ago, but now she is a normal 85 year old, with 85 year-old problems. She called me often during treatment, and definately made me less afraid of chemo. And pointed out that since her mastectomy, all her mammograms have been half price!

Dx 3/2003, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Oct 20, 2003 12:42PM pyper wrote:

Oh my goodness how I just LOVE this thread,I haven't got any success stories of my own.I just LOVE sharing all of yours.
THANKYOU SO MUCH
Pyper

Oct 20, 2003 02:40PM tess528 wrote:

Hi -- I was at a b-day party last weekend and a woman came up to me and said "Someone told me you had bc this year". She just wanted me to know that she had an almost 5cm tumor 12 years ago and was absolutely fine today. I ended pep talking her about reconconstruction that she now really want more than she pep talked me but the 12 year with such a big tumor was great to hear!!

Teresa

Oct 20, 2003 04:00PM bcara wrote:

Ten years ago this coming March I was told I had breast cancer. I was just turning 41. I was in shock. I had 13 out of 19 nodes positive. I told them to zap me with everything that they had....I wanted to live. I will write my whole story some time...I'm just not a very good writer. I just want to tell everyone to hang in there. I never thought I would see my son graduate from high school and I did...and this year my daughter will be graduating(she was 7 all those yeas ago). It makes me still cry to remember how scared I was...but I AM still here today.

Oct 22, 2003 05:40PM Shoes wrote:

my daughter's mom in law is a 20+ yr survivor. She was 30 w/2 small boys & she did it. I am 3 yr. survivor & hope to hear my grandkids telling about their 2 special grandmas.

Oct 23, 2003 06:14PM jessie wrote:

Awhile back I posted on this thread that my grandmother and aunt had breast cancer and lived a long life after diagnosis.

Just wanted to update that yesterday I had a wonderful visit with my 80 year old aunt that had BC. I posted earlier that she had BC 17 yrs ago. I was wrong. I found out yesterday that it was 31 years ago and she is an 80 year full of spunk and laughter who lives in TX and was visiting her son in OKLA. I came away from the visit totally inspired--hope this will inspire someone else.

Jessie

Page 6 of 158 (1,575 results)

Scroll to top button